IGNORED

Change in Allstate RV Roadhelp policies?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I renewed and got my new cards today. There was a significant change in messaging with my cards - I haven't called to clarify so I thought I'd ask here. The reason that I bought the policy the first time, pre UN-5, was because of the clause that they'd tow you to a qualified repair facility. Now it seems different:

-Unlimited towing back to the repair facility of the service provider we dispatch.

But then it also says:

-Your choice of towing destinations.

This doesn't seem much better than come of the others. I'm sure my choice of towing destinations would be for an additional cost. Any of you renew recently?

Wow, that sucks. Haven't renewed lately and think I'd go back to AAA if they have changed it like that, at least I'd get maps.

I talked to a BMW rider over the weekend who broke down in Montana. He used his KOA/Allstate Roadhelp. He had to be towed more than the 250 miles allowed and it cost him $650 CASH. He called Allstate and they've changed their policy coverage. He was told for an extra premium, he could get extended towing to a BMW specific shop. I don't know the details. Thanks, Allstate.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I talked to a BMW rider over the weekend who broke down in Montana. He used his KOA/Allstate Roadhelp. He had to be towed more than the 250 miles allowed and it cost him $650 CASH.
Oh, to heck with that. I've got a KTM and a Prius. I gotta see if I can get my money back.
BluegrassPicker

I have the tow option with Progressive and they cheerfully paid my 110 mile tow a couple of weeks ago...

I gotta see if I can get my money back.

You can get a full refund within 30 days of joining, or a prorated refund after 30 days.

That said, I just employed a rarely used and highly unusual method to find out the answer to the towing limit question... I called the service provider and asked.

The lowdown is this... with the RV Roadhelp Plan, if you call for a tow and an Allstate-affiliated tow provider is available then towing is unlimited back to the nearest shop than can perform repairs (at no charge for the tow service.) I specifically gave an example of a BMW motorcycle where the nearest shop capable of servicing the bike was '500 miles away' and was told that the tow would be covered in full.

If an Allstate-affiliated tow provider is not available (or you choose another provider) then there is a $250 limit. However, if the reason for using a non-Allstate provider is because no Allstate provider serves your breakdown area (such as an extremely rural location) then you can call Allstate and an authorization number will be provided. You may have to pay for the amount above $250, but with the authorization number you can submit your receipt and Allstate will reimburse you for the difference. I specifically asked whether an authorization number would be granted automatically if no Allstate service was available, and was told yes. But I was also advised that if I failed to get an authorization number at the time of service and submitted my claim without one that the claim would likely be rejected. You must call them at the time of the incident so that they can verify that no Allstate service is available.

So unless I was being given incorrect information towing is indeed unlimited and to a proper service facility, with a (IMO) reasonable restriction that they want to authorize a non-contract service in advance. And again, they told me that such an authorization would not be denied if it was the only available option.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if someone else called just to verify that we get the same information.

2 weeks ago my BMW 800S quit on me (come to find out it was a battery that just quit while I was riding, something I could have fixed if I would have been closer to home) about 60 miles from home. We called the Roadhelp number and we were towed 170 miles to the BMW dealer; counting his distance to us and then back home he put close to 400 miles on the tow. He told us he had to call the Roadhelp people back if the tow was over 250 miles but as far as we know they covered the tow. We bought the roadhelp service because of the unlimited mileage to a BMW dealer and hope that continues.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
called just to verify that we get the same information.
I was planning on calling, but I opened my mail late and didn't want to wait on the phone. I certainly will call soon to verify.

I just called and they confirmed that I have RV Roadhelp. Given the situation that I have a BMW motorcycle and stranded far far away, the gentleman on the phone assured me that they will locate the nearest dealership that is able to service the problem before towing me there. There is no $ or mileage limit.

He did mention that I should not arrange my own towing service.

Hope that helps.

noel

I just joined Allstate and got a card with a number on it. It seems to me that as long as I call that number and they dispatch the tow, then I am covered. The only way I would not be covered fully is if I had a local gas station do the tow without calling them. Isn't that a correct assessment?

I just joined Allstate and got a card with a number on it. It seems to me that as long as I call that number and they dispatch the tow, then I am covered. The only way I would not be covered fully is if I had a local gas station do the tow without calling them. Isn't that a correct assessment?

I would think so, since if they dispatch the tow then it would likely be one of their contract services or they wouldn't have the number in their system in the first place. But if you have to pay the tow driver anything then I'd definitely get an authorization number from Allstate. And if it were a very long/expensive tow I might do that in any event, just to CYA. In that case they would either give you a number or tell you that one isn't necessary, and in either case you'd be covered if any issues come up later. Things like that are always worth a few minutes of your time.

I think a lot of problems people have with this (and any other similar type of service) is due to a lack of taking common-sense precautionary steps... a simple phone call or the right question or two at the right time can save you endless hassles later.

I just got my renewal, on page 3 of the Benefits and Services booklet it says "UNLIMITED - Towing to the nearest service facility..." - that seems to be the same as always. It's $109.95 this year...

Also online it says "Unlimited Towing to the nearest capable service provider"

I called and they confirmed, just make sure you call the allstate number (i think) 1-800-735-8027, and let them call the tow company. Or they will give you an authorization number and you can call the tow company they provide. but either way the key is to make sure to call Allstate first and NOT arrange towing on your own and assume the company is allstate certified.

Buy the way based upon a number of recommendation, I just joined for our trip to John Day, and got my "new member" 20% discount, so it cost about 79.00 for my first year.

I called Allstate/KOA and they confirmed as I've thought all along. They will tow to the nearest "capable repairing service facility. If this means a BMW motorcycle shop is required, then so it goes." I specifically addressed the BMW limited dealer situation and was told, "unlimited towing." dwillie.

I called Allstate/KOA and they confirmed as I've thought all along. They will tow to the nearest "capable repairing service facility. If this means a BMW motorcycle shop is required, then so it goes." I specifically addressed the BMW limited dealer situation and was told, "unlimited towing." dwillie.
Thanks for confirming that.

Insurance pointer --> Ask your agent the specific coverage question and if she/he says "yea, you're covered" then firm it up in an email/letter thanking the agent for her/his help and restating/confirming the question and answer. In Ohio, at least, an agent can bind the company to coverage by what the agent says is "covered." I took a case to the court of appeals some years ago on this issue and it remains good law here... In my case, the agent called on the folks at their home and told them they were "covered" as of the moment he took their check... wife was dx'd with cancer some weeks later and company tried to wiggle out of coverage... court said the agent's statement that they were "covered" meant they were covered...

Steve Magas

russell_bynum
And with those multiple confirmations of the unlimited towing policy I think we can put this rumor to bed...

Just another point to consider: I've used my KOA towing package several times and I always have them tow to my house and that's never been an issue.

Now...it is true that my house has always been closer than the nearest repair facility, but it was nice to have that option. i.e. you don't HAVE to go to a dealership. I've had my 325 towed twice (rock through the oil pan, and broken motor mounts), Lisa's 528i towed once (broken serpentine belt...I could have gone and fixed it in the parking lot where she stopped, but it was easier to just have it towed home), and we had Lisa's R1100RS towed home when the Motronic crapped out on the way to Torrey a few years ago.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks all. I was just a little alarmed because the paper with my renewal cards said what it did. I didn't receive a booklet (who knows where the original is after two years) and my calls kept cycling on a voice mail tree.

• 4 years later...

Here is the unclear answer I received.

Dear ,

Thank you for your interest in Allstate Motor Club.

Every company has different offers and their benefits vary. As a result of which we are unable to compare it with AAA.

The motorcycle is covered in the following three plans they are Platinum Plan, Deluxe Plan and R V Roadhelp Plan.

Our membership plans provide an emergency roadside benefit limit up to dollar limitations not miles.

However if the cost of towing exceeds the benefit limit you need to pay the differential amount.

For e.g. Deluxe plan covers you up to benefit limit of $150 each time you need a service. If the cost of towing to repair shop is $150 then you would not have to pay the provider anything, but if the cost of the tow is $160 then Allstate Motor Club will pay $150 and you would have to pay $10 to the provider.

The Allstate Motor Club does have several plans available. Each plan has different benefits and service call limits. Here is some information on these plans:

The Allstate Deluxe Plan costs $144.00 annually. There is no additional fee to add a spouse or designated other person to the membership. You get 4 service calls per membership year and a benefit limit of up to $150.00 that we pay per each of the 4 service calls.

The Allstate RV Road help Plan costs $109.95 annually. There is no additional fee to add a spouse or designated other person to the membership. You can not add any other person to the membership. There is no service call limit or benefit limit. The only stipulation is that if your vehicle is towed it must be towed to the closest place of repair.

The Allstate Platinum Elite Plan costs $186.00 annually. There is no additional fee to add a spouse or designated other person to the membership. You get unlimited service calls per membership year and a benefit limit of up to $250.00.

You can review the benefits online as well as sign up for the membership on our website at www.allstatemotorclub.com or call our Customer Service at 1-800-255-2582.

Sincerely,

Member Services

Allstate Motor Club

-----Original Message-----

From: Allstate Motor Club [mailto:sys-amcweb@allstate.com]

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:12 PM

To: AllstateMotorClub

Subject: Allstate Motor Club contact request

New contact request was received:

REQUEST DATE : Tue Mar 19 15:12:21 CDT 2013

STATE: NC

TOPIC: Member Benefits Inquiry

I am looking for an alternative to AAA, however your website is confusing. I ride a BMW motorcycle and will need the RV Roadhelp package.

From the main page when I click on "Membership Plans" it says:

RV ROADHELP - Roadside Assistance - Unlimited Benefit **

At the bottom of the page it says:

** Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit

So that says it will tow me to the nearest BMW dealer no matter what the mileage.

However, when you click on the words "RV ROADHELP PLAN" it takes me to a page that says:

Unlimited amount for towing to the nearest service facility and/or on-site labor.

So can I assume that the nearest service facility is a BMW dealer?

A local repair shop can not service BMW motorcycles.

What does the actual plan document say?

I need to answer this question before I join.

--------------------------------------------------

When I blew a driveshaft near Hannagan Meadow in Arizone, they would either tow me to Albuquerque or Phoenix. They agreed to tow me back to Tucson for an additional $35 because it was a few miles further. Milage was 260. Those were the closest BMW dealers.

Archived