IGNORED

what is that plug thing?

Danny_Archibald

Danny_Archibald

Hello, I picked up my R1150RT and I found a strange looking plug thing of some sort under the police box. It appears to be maybe a diagnostic plug in. It has severel wires going to it but it is capped off and I was not able to get the cap off to investigate what was underneath. Anyone know what that is? Thanks

Although I am not familiar with the LEO version of the RT, I would guess that the plug is the diagnostic computer hook-up. My 04 RT also has one.

pics?

I haven't dug under the box yet on mine, but I would suspect it's the emergency lights harness, going to the strobe power supply, which was mounted UNDER the radio box (since it wasn't removable, like the radio).

Gidday Danny.

Last weekend a mate and I removed the radio box from my recently arrived 2000 1100RT-P (ex-CHP) and installed the dual seat kit. I have attached a pick of a connector that I was going to ask questions about (what is it and can I remove it without messing up anything else). I have attached a pic of it if anyone else knows what it is I'd appreciate your input...also, is this what you mean Danny??

Cheers

Tracy

536904-wiring.jpg.c0c730faa29b22c18fa77c9030f38b2c.jpg

I just removed the radio box from the 99 I'm working on. I haven't traced everything yet, and it would help if the original poster offered either pix or a better more thorough description of location and shape of the plug.

There is a capped connector on the left side of the bike which I believe is the diagnostic connector.

The plug end Tracy is showing in the picture is most certainly related to ememgency equipment, and usually is found on the right side of the bike. It's either the connector leading to the front/side strobes (which CHP removed) or the radio. As I said I haven't traced it all yet, but I tend to think it is the front strobe feed. CHP generally removes ALL radio wiring, wheas they leave a lot of the emergecy lights wiring. It also could be feeding the siren power from the amp which was there to the siren wires too.

I'll know for sure next week if you can wait. I'm away this weekend and won't be back working on my project until next week. I can also take some pix.

Random thoughts from me until then!

Tracy: The round one you have is probably not emergency lights. The Whalen strobes come with Amp N Lock connectors, and that's not one. I'm guessing radio, since I don't know what else would have that many different signal wires.

Could also be a computer/diagnostic connection? The squared off one (in the palm) ...not sure. I'd probably go with emergency lights. I still have the rear strobe wires, just haven't traced them back (yet). Note that the front lights are different: The left side was a solid on (red), so only two connectors. The right side was a flasher, not sure what type (halogen/led/strobe).

Danny_Archibald

Tracy,

My bike is not a police bike, it just has the police radio box installed on it. I have come the the conclusion that the plug I am refering to must be the diagnostic hook up and it was left out of place when the radio box was installed. The person who installed it just tied it down so it can be reached by taking those plastic plugs up from the bottom of the box itself.

537065-Picture-340111.jpg.2a6abfc17b1916ee666552ca9b2ccd57.jpg

Woodie:

Very cool "tidbits" page, especially for us ex CHP RT-P owners.

I enjoyed going down your list - some distinct variations in my experiences, but all in all pretty simiar for the two CHP bikes I've seen.

Between my 99 & 01 there's LOTS of differences, but mostly on BMW configuration. The emergency equipemt configurations are very similar.

Both bikes pre-date the move to Code 3 LED's...

Again, nice site!

We need a RT-P message board...

I'd second the RTP forum...maybe it could be added as a subsection from the oilhead forum??

There certainly seem to be a fair few P's out there so it would be great to be able to pool/share knowledge smile.gif

Cheers

Tracy

Archived