IGNORED

Final Drive Leak, or... ??

questrider

I was looking at my bike as I came out of a grocery store today and just noticed this. Is this a final drive leak, or is my bike just dirty? confused.gif It looks like a "motorcycle malfunction" to me. crazy.gif Time for service! Or just a nice scrubbin'. grin.gif Hey, don't ask me, I'm askin' all of you! I just ride 'em. thumbsup.gif

537010-final-drive.jpg

Is that oil on the wheel? (the photo doesn't have enough detail to tell) How many miles on the odometer?

If its oil then yes, the final drive seal is leaking.

Is that oil on the wheel? (the photo doesn't have enough detail to tell) How many miles on the odometer?

If its oil then yes, the final drive seal is leaking.

I am more curious about the oil-looking leaks in the highlighted areas than on the wheel. If so, that's what I was afraid of. Only 14,500 on the odometer.

537101-final-drive2.jpg

The seal is more inclined to leak under certain conditions, mainly sustained high speed in warmer temperatures. If these conditions apply in your case, it may not be anything of consequence. I have had the seal replaced twice under warranty, but it still leaks occasionally.

If you are still in warranty, make sure that the problem is documented by a dealer now, but there may not be an urgent need for rectification.

Clean out the rubber drive boot and see how it is in a few weeks. Slightly overfilling the rear drive housing is reputed to increase the risk of this leak. There is margin to slighly underfill without detriment.

What Nick said. Almost all of the final drives on the R11xx series weep a bit. If you open up the boot and get a few Cc out, it's pretty normal. OTOH, if the whole inside of the boot is flooded and gear lube pours out, then you've got a problem.

I've just had my diff seal replaced @ 40K under warranty.

If it's the gearbox seal, you're off the road for two days.

Get it checked!

Mine has had changed 5000 km ago and leaks again.
Yeah, that's why unless it is literally pouring out, it's really a live with it thing.

Thanks everybody for the input. I don't do my own wrenching, so opening it up to see if it's a leak or pouring out won't happen here. Definietly time to take it in to the dealer and see what's up. It is nice to hear from some of you that the seals simply just leak, and seeing as though I washed the bike about two months ago, it appears the oil "stains" I have are probably just a seal leak. I would think if it was pouring out in there I'd have a lot more oil "stains" than what appears in that picture.

Thanks again for the info! This place rocks. clap.gif

I don't do my own wrenching, so opening it up to see if it's a leak or pouring out won't happen here.

OK, but no real wrenching required, more like just a screwdriver, and it takes just a few minutes to check.

Definietly time to take it in to the dealer and see what's up.
Only do that if the bike is:

a. in warranty, or

b. you are prepared to pay for a seal change.

In my experience, the dealer will want to change it, no matter how little oil is weeping through.

Just so you're prepared ... wink.gif

The following is tip to the new mechanics of today that I was taught back in 1958 when I was in aviation mechanics school that most mechanics of today have never been exposed to.

If you look at a new Garlock type seal (aka: rubber lip or chevron type shaft seal) with a 16X or stronger magnifying glass you'll notice that what looked like a smooth sealing surface to the naked eye actually looks like a Sierra Nevada mountain range when magnified. A simple swipe with 600 or 400 wet or dry abrasive paper around the inside sealing surface removes that rough surface and usually gives you a long lasting leak free seal. I've never had a Garlock type seal that I've installed in the last 47 years leak in the TBO (time before overhaul) and I've installed thousands of them.

There is a difference between a leaking seal and a weeping seal. A weeping seal actually keeps the sealing surface lubricated and if there is absolutely no weeping the sealing surface will be destroyed as well as damaging the shaft that is being sealed. A rough sealing surface that does not leak can cause excessive weeping.

One thing that most Garlock and PTFE type shaft seals will not tolerate is shaft runout or surface irregularities. A Mechanical seal (carbon rotating element) is more tolerant of shaft runout or surface irregularities.

I hope this will help those that have never been exposed to the idiosyncrasies of seals.

Archived