IGNORED

Where to buy Valentine 1

Slyder_Steve

Slyder_Steve

I'm a bit confused...story of my life...

Is the V1 website the "best" place to purchase a unit? I've seen them on ebay for as much as 100 bucks over what the manufacturer's website lists them. What's the deal with this?

Thanks,

Slyder

Hi Steve,

I've seen the Valentine One occasionally on EBay at a lower price (most often used) but bought mine direct from Valentine.

Don't really know of any resource that sells them at a discounted price.

Not cheap but seems to pay for itself in no time at all! :/

I think new ones come only direct from Valentine, plus the usual assortment of used units on Ebay. I don't know why anyone would pay more than the factory-direct price, other than due to Ebay-mania.

I've seen them on ebay for as much as 100 bucks over what the manufacturer's website lists them. What's the deal with this?

The deal is......some people are retarded and buy things without researching the price. Buy it directly from Valentine. Actually, I believe the V1 website mentions that there are NO AUTHORIZED VENDORS for the V1, and the only way to buy one is to do it directly. They keep a pretty tight grasp on the serial numbers off the units. To the extent of having to notify them if you sell one so they know if a unit has been stolen or not. If your name doesn't match the serial number they have in their system, they will refuse to service the unit.

Slyder_Steve

Thanks for all the great responses--thought I was missing something. Now I just need to come up with the ~400 bucks.

Slyder

I live about a half mile from the company. So I just stop in and get what I need. I get to talk to then owner and technicians in person. Their good people who don’t mind spending as long as it takes to answer a question. Most times longer just to chat. Some ride and like to talk bikes. I’ve even took my bike over to let them have a look and get some advice about installation.

russell_bynum
I've seen them on ebay for as much as 100 bucks over what the manufacturer's website lists them. What's the deal with this?

The deal is......some people are retarded and buy things without researching the price. Buy it directly from Valentine. Actually, I believe the V1 website mentions that there are NO AUTHORIZED VENDORS for the V1, and the only way to buy one is to do it directly. They keep a pretty tight grasp on the serial numbers off the units. To the extent of having to notify them if you sell one so they know if a unit has been stolen or not. If your name doesn't match the serial number they have in their system, they will refuse to service the unit.

+1

Slyder_Steve

Valentine 1 on the way...from Valentine :thumbsup:

Thanks for the assistance :wave:

One more question...recommendation for a mount?

russell_bynum

What are your requirements? Security...weather protection...inconspicuous....leave it on the bike vs take it with you when you park the bike overnight....etc.

You've got gobs of options depending on what your requirements are.

If I was putting one on my RT, I would go with either a RCU shelf or some sort of a RAM mount.

My only concern about the RCU shelf would be that my body might block the rear reception a little. A RAM mount on the brake/clutch reservoir seems to be a popular solution.

russell_bynum
If I was putting one on my RT, I would go with either a RCU shelf or some sort of a RAM mount.

My only concern about the RCU shelf would be that my body might block the rear reception a little. A RAM mount on the brake/clutch reservoir seems to be a popular solution.

Yep. But neither of those is good for security, or inconspicuous.

Slyder_Steve

I think I'm going to give the RAM reservoir mount a try...not too worried about someone nicking it and if I get stopped...well...I haven't used my V1 very effectively...

Thanks for the input

Slyder

russell_bynum
I think I'm going to give the RAM reservoir mount a try...not too worried about someone nicking it and if I get stopped...well...I haven't used my V1 very effectively...

Thanks for the input

Slyder

That's a good option, but definitely consider something to weatherproof the V1. They don't like the rain very much. It's not such a big deal when you set out in the rain (just don't put the V1 on), but when you're going through rain/dry multiple times on a ride, it gets annoying having to always stash it, then put it back out (or do without).

That's a good option, but definitely consider something to weatherproof the V1. They don't like the rain very much. It's not such a big deal when you set out in the rain (just don't put the V1 on), but when you're going through rain/dry multiple times on a ride, it gets annoying having to always stash it, then put it back out (or do without).

Just FWIW, and I'm not endorsing or recommending anything, but my V1 has been doused countless times over seven or so years and is still ticking. The one proviso... it definitely doesn't like being powered up when wet (water gets into the modular power connector causing all sorts of mayhem), but I just turn off the power under wet conditions. I don't leave it out overnight in the rain of course and if I know I'm going through a deluge I'll store it, but otherwise it's seen more than its share of occasional rainstorms with no problems.

I just saw an RT this past weekend with a mount from these guys. It was a very cool set-up and high quality.

russell_bynum

Just FWIW, and I'm not endorsing or recommending anything, but my V1 has been doused countless times over seven or so years and is still ticking. The one proviso... it definitely doesn't like being powered up when wet (water gets into the modular power connector causing all sorts of mayhem), but I just turn off the power under wet conditions. I don't leave it out overnight in the rain of course and if I know I'm going through a deluge I'll store it, but otherwise it's seen more than its share of occasional rainstorms with no problems.

Likewise with mine, but you have to wait for it to dry out before you can power it up again.

Received my V1 in the mail yesterday :clap:

Going to have some fun with it this weekend...

Slyder

Try to keep the speed down below 4 digits will ya??? :grin::wave:

• 1 year later...

I just got mine mounted with velcro on a round base & RAM ball/arm mount that bolts into the handlebar clamp with an M8 socket cap screw. Wired it to the stereo harness with the Scotchlok that came with my unit (didn't realize that is not a switched circuit...it's hot, but no big deal). Plenty secure for riding, then I just take it off and stash in the glove box or my pocket if I'm away from the bike.

I can switch the whole thing over to my other bike and use the Powerlet splitter with a cig adapter.

If it rains I'll go the cheap route and just rubber band a shower cap over the thing, instead of gooping it up with marine silicone, or encasing it in a box where the sounds are muffled and it might overheat.

Archived