IGNORED

Filling your Transmission, Final Drive, and Such...

Twisties

At 12,000 miles I changed tranny and FD fluids on our RTs. The lubricants crawled down a funnel and tube into their appropriate reservoirs. I had to hold the funnels and tubing the whole time. I'd say this took a half or 45 minutes each, and with two bikes I was vowing to find a better way for next time. Been looking ever since.

I was thinking a large plastic syringe. Someone here mentioned a bottletop pump from Walmart. Well, Walmart didn't have the item, although it turned out my own brother has one down in Florida, so they must have had them once. Checker had none of the above. I had a report that an industrial supply would have large syringes, no luck. I talked to several bike shops that sold oil, nothing. Super Target, nothing. Repeated and persistent internet searches, nothing. Finally, NAPA, a twofer:

Sta-Lube SL4344

and also the Valvoline VV818, which I could not find on the internet. It's similar to the above, but a little lighter in build and sized for a standard oil bottle mouth.

Then from out of the depths of the garage, Sharon pops up with this:

Flotool "The MixMizer" 10111 Apparently also available at ACE, although packaged differently.

So, I'm thinking the Sta-Lube product for the tranny, and The MixMizer for the FD.

I figure I can calibrate The MixMizer syringe for accurate delivery of 240 mls to the FD. Use of a syringe is really the only way I can think to accurately fill an FD.

I'll be giving it all a try in the next few days.

Whatcha think?

Jan, no matter what you use, if you heat the fluid in the microwave to decrease the viscosity, it will flow much better.

I think you should use what people have been using for about the last 100 years for this job (a suction gun), then just fill to the bottom of the fill hole and go riding. But then again it has been conclusively proven that I'm not nearly anal enough to give advice concerning BMW maintenance. :grin:

russell_bynum

I have a similar pump that I use for filling the manual trans and diff on my 3-series. The main gripe I have with it is it is messy when you have to switch bottles (i.e. when you need more than 1Q) because the end that goes in the bottle is covered and dripping with oil. I always set everything in a large catch pan so it doesn't run all over the floor, but it still makes a mess, gets all over the bottom of the bottles, etc.

For measuring a precise amount of lubricant, I've got a clear funnel that has graduated markings on it. At the bottom of the funnel is a shutoff valve, and then there are an assortment of fittings you can attach below that to meet your needs. Install the appropriate end, close the valve, fill the funnel to the appropriate mark, put the end in the fill-hole, open the valve. Gleno kept a pitcher doohickey for that purpose, pour the oil from the containers into the pitcher to the appropriate level, then just pour whatever's in the pitcher down the funnel of your choice into your transmission/final drive/whatever.

Jan, no matter what you use, if you heat the fluid in the microwave to decrease the viscosity, it will flow much better.

I have thought of that John, but am concerned that it will result in an underfill, since the warm fluid will be less dense. Presumably the fill criteria are for room temperature fluids, although this could vary a fair bit. I was thinking a slight amount of warming, to the upper end of room temp, maybe about a 100 F, might be a good idea though.

russell_bynum
Now how come I didn't run across one of those! Looks like a syringe to me. Perfect for the job.

I just remembered...I've got one of those as well. Works OK, but you still wind up making a mess (or at least...I do).

For measuring a precise amount of lubricant, I've got a clear funnel that has graduated markings on it. At the bottom of the funnel is a shutoff valve, and then there are an assortment of fittings you can attach below that to meet your needs. Install the appropriate end, close the valve, fill the funnel to the appropriate mark, put the end in the fill-hole, open the valve.

Well, first of all I'm trying to get away from a funnel to something that I can force flow with because the gravity transfer rate is tooooooooo sloooooow. Second, this is not a precise way of measuring the fluid that is delivered to the bike (unless you use the difference of two points in the funnel), because of losses due to lubricant adhering to the funnel and tubing. In chemistry we are concerned with "To Contain" and "To Deliver" calibrations. From what you are saying I believe you are using a "To Contain" calibration in a "To Deliver" situation.... though I might have misunderstood you....

P.S. I love analyzing haircuts! :)

Jan,

I took a tip from JVB's tech video and bought a couple of graduated squeeze bottles from a local beauty supply store for $2.99 each. They are translucent and have raised graduations through 250 mls. From the supplier label, here is a link: Luxor # 2509

Jeff

Well, first of all I'm trying to get away from a funnel to something that I can force flow with because the gravity transfer rate is tooooooooo sloooooow. Second, this is not a precise way of measuring the fluid that is delivered to the bike (unless you use the difference of two points in the funnel), because of losses due to lubricant adhering to the funnel and tubing. In chemistry we are concerned with "To Contain" and "To Deliver" calibrations. From what you are saying I believe you are using a "To Contain" calibration in a "To Deliver" situation.... though I might have misunderstood you....

Damn, I LOVE BMW riders!!!! :rofl:

russell_bynum

Damn, I LOVE BMW riders!!!!

:grin:

Jan, don't forget to correct for volume differences due to atmospheric pressure. :Wink:

I think you should use what people have been using for about the last 100 years for this job (a suction gun), then just fill to the bottom of the fill hole and go riding. But then again it has been conclusively proven that I'm not nearly anal enough to give advice concerning BMW maintenance. :grin:

You aren't anal enough? :S If you need lessons take a look at the thread going on about WASHING THE BIKE they are discussing the lenght of the q-tips that should be used at the different parts of the bike, whether wooden ones vs plastic, the tensile strenght of the terry cloth, etc., etc., ad nauseam... :rofl:

I use a funnel I bought at WalMart with a plastic hose that fits inside the fill hole. The tranny is most difficult, but with a little patience, and the help of a rigged tripod you can pre-heat the oil in the microwave and pour it down the funnel. The density may vary, but not the volume. Then use the old eyes and see if it's at the bottom of the fill hole, if it isn't pour a little more, if its over, use a rag after it spills. I'll be doing that this weekend.

I have thought of that John, but am concerned that it will result in an underfill, since the warm fluid will be less dense. Presumably the fill criteria are for room temperature fluids, although this could vary a fair bit. I was thinking a slight amount of warming, to the upper end of room temp, maybe about a 100 F, might be a good idea though.

Filli it up, go have a cup of coffee, or a beer, come back and check the level fill up if needed, otherwise you're done. :wave:

I used the turkey baster when I changed mine in October, but I have to admit that Thanksgiving dinner wasn't too good this year.

I used the turkey baster when I changed mine in October, but I have to admit that Thanksgiving dinner wasn't too good this year.

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

These are the jokes folks... We'll be here all week! :thumbsup:

CoarsegoldKid

Gravity is stronger here, at least I hear that from the older gents. When I changed my tranny fluid the new stuff flowed down the funnel and clear tub quickly. Measuring wasn't much an issue either because .9 liters according to the manual is just shy of 1qt(.948 liters). The hard part was cleaning up the mess made when almost all the old fluid ended up on the floor of the garage. The garage floor now has clean area of about 2sq.ft.

I like the suction gun. Might have to get one of those. I've been using a Valvoline bottle that the 80/90 weight gear lube comes in. It has ml measurements on the bottle. I pour off the excess so I don't have to stop and measure once I start filling. I shove a length of rubber fuel line over the bottle tip, stick it in the transmission fill hole and squeeze the bottle. Easy!!

I use a clear ketchup bottle that I found at WAL-MART. Cut off the tip and slide a piece of clear tubbing over the end, measure out 230 ml of fluid in a graduated measuring cup and pour it into the bottle. Make a mark on the side of the bottle at this level and your good to go. Next time you change your final drive just fill the bottle to the mark.

I have an 06 RT and if you fill it through the drain hole at the 9 0'clock position about 3/4 full and then top off through the ABS sensor it goes alot faster.

Good Luck!

This is probably not news, but this is what we use for the final drive.....Got the idea from Jim VonBadden's DVD.......

Picked it up at a beauty supply store (about $3, I think) and it is graduated to 250 ml's so you can measure 240 right into the bottle.....Perfect for final drives........The angled spout makes it pretty easy to squeeze the fluid in the speed sensor hole.........

Fluidbottle002.jpg

Fightingpiper
This is probably not news, but this is what we use for the final drive.....Got the idea from Jim VonBadden's DVD.......

Picked it up at a beauty supply store (about $3, I think) and it is graduated to 250 ml's so you can measure 240 right into the bottle.....Perfect for final drives........The angled spout makes it pretty easy to squeeze the fluid in the speed sensor hole.........

Fluidbottle002.jpg

Exactly what I use....

As an aside to this...

Make sure you have an accurate torque wrench when tightening the drain plug for the final drive.

Helps ensure it stays attached after 100 miles. :eek:

DAMHIK

On my Tranny... I use a funnel and clear plastic hose.

Zip tie the funnel to a convenient spot and pour. As he said, it may take a little bit but gravity generally works...

barryNmarin

I use the funnel and hose with no problem and after I heat up the juice in the sun for an hour or so it slides down the tubing pretty fast. Never had a problem with under filling with the heated fluid expansion.

I just ordered a couple of suction guns.

I found the funnel method tedious and messy. For the tranny you fill until oil comes out the fill hole, ok, fine. If you heat it and then top off after it cools, ok fine. No need to measure anything.

I am concerned about the FD though. The specified new fill and refill amounts are different to account for the volume that doesn't drain, e.g. sticks. This suggests that the volume needs to be somewhat precise. When I did this last time we used a beaker to measure the 240 mls and then used the funnel and tube through the speed sensor hole method to fill. Aside from it taking forever, it was messy, and there was no way to account for volume stuck to the beaker, funnel and tubing. I added an extra 10 ml, but that was a WAG. The difference between to contain and to deliver becomes significant when dealing with highly viscous materials such as gear lubricants.

I really think a syringe type device is the only way to fill an FD properly. Because there is no way to check fill level, I would not heat the lubricant much, certainly not above 100 F, before delivery. I expect the syringe to be relatively neat, accurate, and fast.

Just my opinion, and what I'm gonna be doing. YMMV. :D

This suggests that the volume needs to be somewhat precise.

I've been somewhat jocular about this subject, but I see that quite a few of the proponents of accuracy own hexheads. Is there something that radically different from oilheads?

My cavalier position is based on the assumption that both the Tranny and FD are self contained elements and lubrication is by contact, so the volume can vary as long as there is enough and of adequate viscosity so the lower part of the gears pick up the oil from the bottom of the reservoir and remain lubricated as th eoidl sticks to the gear during its rotation. No?

If there's a variation of say 25 ml, how severe an impact can it cause?

This suggests that the volume needs to be somewhat precise.

I've been somewhat jocular about this subject, but I see that quite a few of the proponents of accuracy own hexheads. Is there something that radically different from oilheads?

My cavalier position is based on the assumption that both the Tranny and FD are self contained elements and lubrication is by contact, so the volume can vary as long as there is enough and of adequate viscosity so the lower part of the gears pick up the oil from the bottom of the reservoir and remain lubricated as th eoidl sticks to the gear during its rotation. No?

In general I agree, but I don't know what's in an FD or how it's designed. I do know that BMW chose to distinguish between an original dry fill and a refill... 10 mls... in hexheads. I'm simply assuming therefore that BMW feel that 10 mls are significant in the FD application.

In part, at least, you should probably look at relative error. In other words a difference of 25 mls in a 1000 ml tranny is 2.5%. 25 mls in a 250 mls FD is 10%.

Since it's easy to use a syringe (suction gun), that's my plan. Whether it's necessary or not is over my head. If it was a $100 tool, then maybe not, but now that I know what it's called, there will be one delivered to my door in two days for $10. As I said, I'm hoping it will be less messy and faster too. Sounds like a good deal to me. :)

With FD's being at issue, I prefer not to create any excuses for denial of warranty coverage. Again, I won't be suggesting that anyone who does it another way is wrong, stupid, or careless. I won't think less of you at all. I'm just saying what I decided to do on our bikes and why I think it's a good idea.

clip~

Polo, I don’t know how critical the F/D oil level really is.. Might be & might not.. With all the BMW final drive problems who wants to chance it..

There is speculation that the BMW R1200 final drives are not vented to atmosphere.. I can’t say if that is true or not.. I will find out next time I change the gear oil in my R1200RT final drive.. If that is true then overfilling could cause an excess pressure build up in the final drive as it heats up & cause a seal to leak or tighten up a seal on it’s shaft.. On the other side there needs to be enough gear oil in the final drive to have some left in the sump while riding off on a cold final drive.. Cold gear oil tracks with & sticks to the crown gear,, sticks to the inside of the gear case above the normal gear oil level,, packs into the high casting pockets,, etc.. As long as there remains enough to lubricate the gear set & bearings then probably no harm if a little low.. But what if a little leaks out the external seals while riding,, or into the torque tube & a rider doesn’t see it?

BMW is pretty specific on final drive oil level & with so little oil actually in there to begin with why chance it as it isn’t rocket science to do it correct to begin with..

Twisty

40 - 45 min?! Good grief, I spend only a couple of minutes on each refil on my RT.

Your RT has a drain plug. The early R1200s do not as the fill was supposed to be "lifetime"

Polo, I don’t know how critical the F/D oil level really is.. Might be & might not.. With all the BMW final drive problems who wants to chance it..

Strong point! :cry:

There is speculation that the BMW R1200 final drives are not vented to atmosphere.. I can’t say if that is true or not.. I will find out next time I change the gear oil in my R1200RT final drive.. If that is true then overfilling could cause an excess pressure build up in the final drive as it heats up & cause a seal to leak or tighten up a seal on it’s shaft..

And shaft seals don't leak, right? :dopeslap: Perhaps someone can clear up that speculation? But I see your source of concern. As I said, I don't own a hex, so I am unaware of differences like this, which would be significant.

BMW is pretty specific on final drive oil level & with so little oil actually in there to begin with why chance it as it isn’t rocket science to do it correct to begin with..

Twisty

If you perceived any criticism from me, be assured that it's directed at BMW's flair for the dramatic, not at you. It really doesn't cost you much to do it to the point where you're comfortable and secure that you've done your best. After all it is your baby, as much as my bike is mine. Have a great time doing it! :thumbsup:

40 - 45 min?! Good grief, I spend only a couple of minutes on each refil on my RT.

Your RT has a drain plug. The early R1200s do not as the fill was supposed to be "lifetime"

And Twisties had to hold the funnel last time! :grin:

289431764_XzdYe-M.jpg

You'll notice some were wearing coats. Mine was on and off, off in that shot. Bob's was on. It was cool. We didn't heat the oil. Yep my recollection was a long long time. I didn't time it, but my arm was falling off. At least a half an hour each. Live and learn.

Yes, I checked the garage yesterday and sure enough your arm was laying down there under the bench... Seriously. I remember how long it took. I my arm was getting tired too.

(By the way... I went to Industrial Supply and they have all the syringes you want. The clerk you interfaced with must have been a newbie. I will bring mine tomorrow.)

dave sawyer

Here what I do. I use Mobile One in my trans. and final drive.

I take a 6 inch section of 1/4" clear tubing and push it over the tapered spout. Turn bottle upside down, insert tube into filler hole and squeeze lube into trans/final. If you want a specfic amount, just measure and when the bottle is empty you're all full.

My wife's a nurse. She brought home a nice big syringe for me, 50mL, which works absolutely perfectly for this job. Hit up your nurse or doctor next time you see him / her!

-MKL

My wife's a nurse. She brought home a nice big syringe for me, 50mL, which works absolutely perfectly for this job. Hit up your nurse or doctor next time you see him / her!

-MKL

My wife did the same for me. I also use those syringes for a myriad of tasks including mixed epoxy and injecting it in boat deck cores. :thumbsup:

Nice n Easy Rider

-MKL

Moshe,

The syringes used in medical situations usually have rubber end pieces on the pistons that can swell when exposed to oil. When we immunize animals we use oil-based adjuvants and we always use glass syringes for the above reason. For a single use it should be fine but I wouldn't plan on using it multiple times.

Well, I'm happy to report that the job is done, and the RT's are sitting in the blocks, raring to go in the morning for Tejas!

The Mixmizer (link in first post) turns out to be a 60 ml syringe designed for oil based products. Was a little hard at times, but worked great overall, and 60 worked out just right for filling the FD in 4 goes.

The Sta Lube product made the transmission job a dream.

Thanks for all the help!

Moshe,

The syringes used in medical situations usually have rubber end pieces on the pistons that can swell when exposed to oil. When we immunize animals we use oil-based adjuvants and we always use glass syringes for the above reason. For a single use it should be fine but I wouldn't plan on using it multiple times.

It's been almost three years on this plastic syringe, servicing our 4 bikes over that time for a combined mileage of somewhere around 75,000 miles, and it's still doing its job perfectly.

-MKL

Nice n Easy Rider

Moshe,

It's been almost three years on this plastic syringe, servicing our 4 bikes over that time for a combined mileage of somewhere around 75,000 miles, and it's still doing its job perfectly.

-MKL

Do you by any chance remember the brand?

OK, it's a 60mL (not 50 as previously reported) brand "B-D". The only other marking on there says "N-5." Not sure what that means, but hope it helps....

-MKL

CoarsegoldKid
Well, I'm happy to report that ... Sta Lube product made the transmission job a dream.

So tell me or show pictures on how you prevented a big oily mess under the trans when you removed the drain bolt. Try as I might most trans fluid missed the tray my a country mile. Maybe I should have put the center stand in the tray!

Fightingpiper
Well, I'm happy to report that ... Sta Lube product made the transmission job a dream.

So tell me or show pictures on how you prevented a big oily mess under the trans when you removed the drain bolt. Try as I might most trans fluid missed the tray my a country mile. Maybe I should have put the center stand in the tray!

Here is a pic from Jim Von Baden's site and is what I did. Use a long funnel...

34-trans-drain.jpg

Archived