IGNORED

Insurance coverage for rentals

bimmers

Have not yet asked my agent for his opinion but thought I would ask here as well. When renting a bike what kind of coverage have you then taken? What do the standard full liability and comprehensive from my own possibly (or not) cover?

I only rented a bike once. It was a Harley on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. I had no choice but to use his insurance. My insurance agent (Foremost) said that my policy did not cover bikes I rented.

I broke out in a cold sweat when, after I got home from the trip, I read the fine print of the rental agreement. They were the only people allowed to work on the bike, they could take up to 90 to fix it and I was on the hook for full rental until the bike was fixed ($16,000)

Read the boiler-plate-fine print and don't be afraid to say "Pound it up your.....)

DavidEBSmith

Read your policy. It's in there. Look at the definition of what a covered vehicle is, or what's not covered. Nobody here has any idea of what your policy covers unless they happen to be an underwriter for your carrier.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but the answer will be different for every carrier and every state. I could tell you that my policy covers temporarily possessed motorcycles, but unless you have Progressive in Illinois and the same policy form, that does you no good and may mislead you.

I've only rented Harleys. One dealer did not offer any sort of insurance, you were on the hook for the full cost of any damage. Another dealer offered insurance, but it was elective. I took it. A third dealer provided insurance as part of the rental, with a $2k deductible.

Your agent's opinion may be interesting but you really should be able to read somewhere what you have, and if you can't you should assume you have nothing.

When I called around for insurance last time every place I called, mostly from magazine ads, did not offer any coverage for any bike other than the one the policy was written on. I ended up with state farm, they have that same limitation here in Oregon. One exception. If you have state farm coverage on a MOTORCYCLE, they will cover any new motorcycle you purchase for 30 days.

Oh, one more thing along these lines. If anyone knows of a company that writes coverage in Oregon that includes rentals, I'd love to hear about it.

Rent with AMEX then you don't have to worry about it, they cover the insurance just by using the card. My wife worked for Enterprise for a bit and AMEX was better than anyone else when it came to making it painless for the renter if there was a problem.

Nice n Easy Rider
Rent with AMEX then you don't have to worry about it, they cover the insurance just by using the card. My wife worked for Enterprise for a bit and AMEX was better than anyone else when it came to making it painless for the renter if there was a problem.

Unless I'm mistaken the AMEX insurance coverage exempts certain vehicles including certain SUVs and any off-road vehicles. I don't remember whether motorcycles are specifically exempt but I would guess that they are.

Rent with AMEX then you don't have to worry about it, they cover the insurance just by using the card.

Are you assuming that the "CAR RENTAL LOSS AND DAMAGE INSURANCE PLAN" they offer as part of their card benefits covers motorcycles?

If it does this would be a pleasant surprise.

I called AMEX. Bummer, no two wheeled vehicles at all. Depending on your card it typically doesn't cover pickup trucks, moving trucks, etc.

I called AMEX Gold Card and they do not cover recreational vehicles or motorcycles.

Neither does my Allstate Motorcycle insurance.

Looks like we are all stuck with the insurance that the rental guys sell.

I went to agent and sat down for a while. We called their national center (State Farm) and the verdict is. A MOTORCYCLE DOES NOT GET ANY COVERAGE UNLESS IT IS ON THE POLICY. AND

IF YOU BUY A NEW ONE YOU DO NOT NOT NOT HAVE A 30 DAY WINDOW, NO COVERAGE UNTIL THEY HAVE MONEY FOR THE POLICY.

So this was refreshing. MCs are treated totally different than cars, 4 wheelers (ATVs excluded).

The offer I got from renter was also a roughly 2k deductible so I guess it will be the option.

hope this clears it up for all of us, check with your insurance carrier before jumopning to conclusions.

According to my Progressive policy, I do have a rental vehicle coverage. The premium is $50.00.

"The rental coverage endorsement to this policy provides protection in the event of damage to, or loss of, a rental vehicle, including loss of use, as described in the endorsement.

Rental vehicle coverage is mandated by New York State law to reduce problems that confront consumers and leave them vulnerable to major unanticipated costs when dealing with rental vehicle companies........"

Just got my premium bill in the mail yesterday so it was easy to review. BTW my premium went up $8.00, must be inflation costs!

Bob

I just got off the phone to verify the above endorsement- it turns out that although it is mandated, it must be elective by the insured and be placed on the policy. So, do not assume that if you are living in New York, it is automatic.

Bob

I'm with State Farm and they have covered my new bikes for the 30 days inthe past, is this a state to state thing? I can't speak for rental coverage though due to me being to cheap to rent most times and I'm almost always on my bike anyway.

• 3 months later...
I'm with State Farm and they have covered my new bikes for the 30 days inthe past, is this a state to state thing? I can't speak for rental coverage though due to me being to cheap to rent most times and I'm almost always on my bike anyway.

I don't know if it is a state to state thing or not. My agent says that if I have state farm auto insurance and buy a new motorcycle, there is NO coverage for the motorcycle. But, they say, if I have state farm motorcycle insurance, and I buy a new motorcycle, the new bike is covered for 30 days. Regardless, I typically know when I'm going to buy a bike, so I get it covered before it leaves the dealer with one quick phone call.

Oh, one more thing along these lines. If anyone knows of a company that writes coverage in Oregon that includes rentals, I'd love to hear about it.

Recently I did another rental round. To avoid the $50/day insurance, I searched high and low for someone who covers it as part of the regular policy. Turns out, in Oregon, that Progressive covers rental bikes. Switch to Progressive, and verified it in the policy booklet. Progressive is a bit higher than state farm, but having the rental coverage easily covers the difference for me, as I find myself renting a few times a year while traveling.

Archived