IGNORED

Emergency Flat Tire - Are "Fix-A_Flat" Sealers/Inflators an Option?

Rogue_Trader

Rogue_Trader

I have to tell you, I have always been paranoid about getting a flat tire out on the road. I carry a plugging kit and miniature electric air compressor in the hopes I can fix it and limp home for a permanent replacement. But, until now, this has been untested.

I just got a 2" screw in my rear tread, and didn't find it until I checked air pressure in my garage (call me lucky!).

So I put my kit to the test. The compressor worked fine, but the plug kit was a miserable failure. I have a Nealey kit on order to see if it does better.

So, my question: has anyone tried one of those "fix a flat" inflators that hook up to the valve and shoot a latex sealer into the tire, and inflate it? Or is this question so incredibly stupid for a motorcycle that no one has tried it? I did talk to the manufacturer once, and they did not recommend it for motorcycles due to the critical application.

I'll remain paranoid until I get a sure-fire solution that I can be confident with!

I have to tell you, I have always been paranoid about getting a flat tire out on the road. I carry a plugging kit and miniature electric air compressor in the hopes I can fix it and limp home for a permanent replacement. But, until now, this has been untested.

I just got a 2" screw in my rear tread, and didn't find it until I checked air pressure in my garage (call me lucky!).

So I put my kit to the test. The compressor worked fine, but the plug kit was a miserable failure. I have a Nealey kit on order to see if it does better.

So, my question: has anyone tried one of those "fix a flat" inflators that hook up to the valve and shoot a latex sealer into the tire, and inflate it? Or is this question so incredibly stupid for a motorcycle that no one has tried it? I did talk to the manufacturer once, and they did not recommend it for motorcycles due to the critical application.

I'll remain paranoid until I get a sure-fire solution that I can be confident with!

I have had many, many chances to test my roadside kit. I have found the stringy, gooey cheap plugs you can buy at the auto parts store to work the best. Put them in with plenty of the glue that comes with them, pump it up, check for leaks with a little spit, cut them flush, and go. You can cram more than one into a hole if it is a little on the large side. I rode home from NJ this way, to CA, after the scariest 5 minute roadside tire repair ever next to the NJ turnpike.

I suggest you experiment the next time you are about to put new tires on......You can stick things into them on purpose, and try out methods of plugging, just before you get a new tire anyway.

Fix a flat does work, if the hole is not large, but many folks don't like the mess inside the tire. At least "Slime" stays water soluable, so you can wash it off/out at the next tire change. Some folks think it is "Toxic", but compared to gasoline/motor oils, etc, I think think they are just being elitist. Good Luck!

Urban Surfer

"I suggest you experiment the next time you are about to put new tires on......You can stick things into them on purpose, and try out methods of plugging, just before you get a new tire anyway."

Thats a great Idea.

I have used the inflating cans on cars only. Sometimes they work, or not. About 50/50.

On a bike I used the fix it plug. But it's only good on a small hole. Your 2", is that radius, diameter, or long? Long doesn't matter, wide does.

Some of the other sites have recommended a number of new products they have out, like slime, or whatever, that you run in the tire all the time. Then it seals as you get a puncture. Some of those are highly recommended.

dc

I picked up a sheet rock screw in my rear tire (Dunlop Roadsmart) about two weeks ago. It lost pressure pretty quick. Thankfully, I caught it right before I got on the freeway... I pulled into a parking lot, got out my plug kit and mini compressor and was back on the road in 15 minutes.

I don't know the brand of plug kit, but it came with a "gun" to shoot the plug in, and mushroom shaped plugs. The tire lost zero pounds pressure for a week until I had time to pull the wheel and get a new tire...

Edit: Found my Plugger

I heard some/most tire repair facilities do not like/will not repair tires that have been inflated with fix a flat aerosol devices. I am guessing the sticky snot residue makes working on the tire and wheel very difficult. Better than walking I suppose.

So I put my kit to the test. The compressor worked fine, but the plug kit was a miserable failure.

Same thing happened to me last year on my first significant out of town ride (with a new rear tire, of course). Mushroom plugs simply would not hold air. By the time I got some sticky string plugs, the hole was so mangled that even they slowly leaked, but held air long enough to get to a dealer 30 miles away for a new rear tire. I tossed the mushroom plugs and now carry string plugs. I would stay away from the slimey stuff.

Also, reamer and insertion tools with T-shaped handles are much easier on the palms of one's hands than screwdriver-like handles.

Rogue_Trader
I picked up a sheet rock screw in my rear tire (Dunlop Roadsmart) about two weeks ago. It lost pressure pretty quick. Thankfully, I caught it right before I got on the freeway... I pulled into a parking lot, got out my plug kit and mini compressor and was back on the road in 15 minutes.

I don't know the brand of plug kit, but it came with a "gun" to shoot the plug in, and mushroom shaped plugs. The tire lost zero pounds pressure for a week until I had time to pull the wheel and get a new tire...

All, thanks for the input. Re the size of object, it was thin, maybe 1/16". I found both reaming and plugging (with a sticky strand of rubber) VERY challenging (kit was generic auto store variety). The Michelin Road Pilots have an incrediby tough tread. Would The Plugger, then, help ease this issue? (Call me wimpy). I looked at the Plugger link and saw a reamer, is this used in preparation for inserting the plug? Thanks!

I had to make sure and put some air in the tire before trying to insert the gummy worms. You need some resistance there or the tire just collapses on you and you have struggle. I was able to patch a half inch long crack with the sticky stand type (gummy worm) once I figured that out though.

I think plugs are ok for emergency travel, but I would replace any compromised tire ASAP, personally. YMMV.

Sounds like you just need practice. Sticky-string plugs have never left me stranded and the whole process is just a few minutes. I hate the goo that results from Fix-a-Flat or Slime in tubeless tires (inside tubes is okay). I run on plugged tires until they start leaking overnight (usually do before the end of tread-life). Just don't bother plugging a sidewall puncture.

Once you put the gooey tire sealer in, you can't check tire pressure without gumming up your guage. Don't know how long it takes the stuff to solidify enough to not be a problem.

I carry a SLIME compressor under my RT's passenger seat - fits perfectly in the little cubby underneath. Have used both SLIME (and it never gummed up my pressure gauge, by the way) and the gooey strips for plugging. Both work extremely well. I carry both the SLIME and the strips now, so I can handle any flat that comes my way.

-MKL

I noticed in Walmart the other day in the automotive section that they had a package of "sticky- string" plugs of 2 different sizes. One size for smaller holes; one size for bigger. Also, don't forget to change your old glue out once in a while, if you leave it in your tail section for a year or so, chances are it's gonna be all dried up.

Did you put cement all over the sticky string before insertion? This lubes the string and helps it slide in easy and helps provide a 'cemented' seal to the tire.

Push straight in, pull straight out, no twisting.

All, thanks for the input. Re the size of object, it was thin, maybe 1/16". I found both reaming and plugging (with a sticky strand of rubber) VERY challenging (kit was generic auto store variety). The Michelin Road Pilots have an incrediby tough tread. Would The Plugger, then, help ease this issue? (Call me wimpy). I looked at the Plugger link and saw a reamer, is this used in preparation for inserting the plug? Thanks!

Yes, the reamer is used to 'clean' the hole. Smooth it out, so to speak. Be careful reaming, don't want to cut the nylon threads in the tire

Then, you take the probe tool and insert it in the cleaned out hole. Push it in all the way, and unscrew the black shoulder piece, leaving the hollow shoulder in the tire, and pull out the probe.

Insert a mushroom plug in the gun and screw the gun onto the shoulder that was left in the tire from the probe. Cock and shoot the gun, and it pushes the mushroom through the hollow shoulder, and puts the fat end of the mushroom inside the tire.

Now, pull the gun and attached shoulder out and you are left with the skinny end of the mushroom sticking out of the tire. Give it a good tug to seat it, and cut it off flush with the tread.

Pump up and go...

Note: The link I found is my kit. In this link, it says it's for off road use only. This was news to me, I bought the kit from an aftermarket motorcycle outfit :S

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

"The link I found is my kit. In this link, it says it's for off road use only." This is "Lawyer Speak" and strictly a CYA.

One of the biggest problems with trying to insert anything through the tire is that most (if not all) have a steel belt. So you have to insert the string or plug past the steel wire--insert the tool in exactly the same direction as the nail or screw came out, otherwise you'll get hung up on the belt.

Here's an excellent repair kit. It's sharp brass tip will help you get past the steel belt. You don't need to ream the hole and you don't need any glue (which dries out). http://www.dynaplug.com/

+1 on the sticky, gooey rope repair kits. I plugged my first tire late last year with one of those. Use plenty of a fresh tube of rubber cement. Be sue to buy a new tube because once opened, they will dry up.

The little sport Slime Pump, can it be made to run from the canbus plugs (with appropriate fitting from the cigarette lighter socket supplied) or do I have to fit a "proper" cigarette lighter socket on both my bikes?

Anyone know the real truth here please?

Linz :)

The little sport Slime Pump, can it be made to run from the canbus plugs (with appropriate fitting from the cigarette lighter socket supplied) or do I have to fit a "proper" cigarette lighter socket on both my bikes?

Anyone know the real truth here please?

Linz :)

On an 1150-RT, there should be no problem. The bike is not CANBUS.

Even on my CANBUS R1200-RT, I was able to run the Slime pump from my accessory jack long enough to inflate both tires from completely flat with no shutoff issues. I have since converted my accessory socket to direct from battery, but not due to the slime pump.

• 9 months later...

The February 2010 issue of MCN contains a glowing review of Dynaplug. From appearances and description, this looks like the most effective tire repair kit I have seen. After checking online, I went to Harbor Freight today to get one, but apparently, they're sold only from the HF online store. HF price for the kit is way lower than OEM.

Archived