IGNORED

Amateur Radio - Hams

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Taking my test for both Technician and General license next monday.

Any other hams / motorcycle mobiles here?

QRP when hiking/camping?

Hey Dave K3ZXV here, advanced class since 1964. I have not tried to do the mobile thing on the bike (yet). You will have a lot of fun with ham radio and make a lot of new friends. 73s :thumbsup:

Hi Dave. VE3 NTX here. Have been inactive since moving some years back - everything still in boxes. QRP was my interest so never really got off key on HF.Lots of fun with antennae designs to get that signal out ever further including using a weather balloon and a huge rhombic.Have QSL cards from as far away as Russia on 3 watts. Used to attend an annual "off the mains" (I forget the proper name) camping weekend which you are probably aware of as I think it's a world wide exercise. I encourage you to participate in one as you'll learn so much in the way of emergency preparedness. Probably will re-enter on 2m. when I get back into it just to keep in touch with locals although our repeater is widely linked so reaches out much further than line of sight. I don't plan on any ham activity on the bike tho' as I enjoy being away from it all and focused on the ride. Best wishes on the test.

Paul

Dave,

KE5EXE down in Texas. I have a Yeasu FTM10R on the RT and love it. If you'll do a search on ham radio, you'll pull a couple of interesting topics. Good luck on the test.

Darrell

Used to attend an annual "off the mains" (I forget the proper name) camping weekend which you are probably aware of as I think it's a world wide exercise. I encourage you to participate in one as you'll learn so much in the way of emergency preparedness.

Paul

That would be the world wide Amateur Radio Field Day. It is a great event and a real learning experience. I even met my first ex wife at one of the camp outs .ugh !!

DaveTheAffable

Thanks guys! I'm sure there are others...

My father in law, W6UYW Pete Kreager, went silent key just after the first of the year.

I inherited his pristeen Kenwood TS-930S HF rig, and picked up a 2 month old Yaesu FT-60R for pennies from a co-worker.

I've been taking the practice tests on QRZ.com, and passing consistently with 90% plus both tech and general.

If you want to do the camping QRP thing and aren't great with code the digital modes can be a lot of fun since they are practical with minimal power and antennas. Now if someone would just write a PSK31 app for an iPhone...

KE6GYC here. Motorcycle mobile on 2M/440.

Check out M.A.R.C. in your area (they meet in Placentia) to combine HAM radio and motorcycling for a worthy purpose!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

KG6NYN, no code Tech here. One of these days I'll upgrade to General. My base station has been out of service since we moved into the new house (4 years ago!) but I still use the mobile in my truck and on occasion the HT setup on my bike. Oh, and I've dabbled in APRS quite a bit but don't have a working setup right now.

N0DC here....extra since the mid 70's. My wife is a tech, and we use FTM-10SR's on the bikes. We went to those from GMRS due to poor cell coverage in a lot of the ares we ride in the Carolina's in the summer, but you can usually "hit" a local repeater in most places.

Good luck with the tests.

Hey Dave,

KB3IKF. I've had a Yaesu FTM-10R on my bike for well over a year. I've also been playing with APRS a bit and hope to have something up & running in the next two weeks or so. One of these days I'll go for General when I've got some time to study.

Good luck on the tests, the killer for me is memorizing the frequency ranges.

-Joel

K6IUZ here...welcome to the Ham ranks....been one since I was 13...35 yrs ago. I have just returned to cycling after many years off and I'm looking forward to doing some camping with my mini hf rig...would like to get VHF/UHF up and going while riding but not quite there yet (not quite the ground plane a cage offers). Run mobile out of my commuter cage.

Good Luck, 73

Tom

TechDirector

KG4KBC here. Now running my Yaesu FTM-10R on the '02 RT-P and a VX-7 through an Autocom on my '07 Adventure. I probably have more fun tinkering with getting the radio to work on the bike than actually using it...

Chuck

Greenville, SC

currently inactive but seriously considering the FTM-10R for my RTP. Planing a big trip this year and plan to be out of cell range. But I have yet to decide on a decent antenna, any suggestions?

De WD5G here. I've been licensed for more than 30 years, but don't mess with radios on the bikes. I have too much to pay attention to while riding.

Dave

TechDirector
But I have yet to decide on a decent antenna, any suggestions?

This is what I use on my RT-P http://tinyurl.com/cp7ue2

Why do I like it? Not too long and the spring on the bottom. I ruined two other antennas by karate chopping them in half with my leg when getting on the bike!

But I have yet to decide on a decent antenna, any suggestions?

This is what I use on my RT-P http://tinyurl.com/cp7ue2

Why do I like it? Not too long and the spring on the bottom. I ruined two other antennas by karate chopping them in half with my leg when getting on the bike!

Nice antenna. ? how do you mount it on the bike?

AH6LX - since 1977 have a FT2800 on my bike, the 1150RTP is great since it has aux power, ant. mount, and a top box already there!

Antennas? Ah..

Easy answer, since a good RF ground is sometimes hard to come by on a bike use an antenna listed as a "half wave". Then, matching is much easier.

Hard answer, play around with hidden radials and such to get a "quarter wave" to match and then throw it all away and go to a half wave after all the wasted time.

Yeah a half wave on 2M is big, but if you stick to 440 the size is very manageable. (I run a dual band so I have a big antenna..)

TechDirector

Nice antenna. ? how do you mount it on the bike?

The RT-P has a radio mount with a small ground plane behind the radio box.

A j-pole does not require a ground plane. I built one from aluminum rod several years ago for 2M motorcycling. It worked great. Just mount anywhere convenient, after tuning.

K4AY

NB4T here,I have been thinking about putting a Yaesu FT 8900R quad band on my RT,but haven't found a good place to mount the antenna.Might just use a Kenwood dual bander due to antenna space.I usually put an Icon 706 MK in the bag and a long wire antenna

:Cool:

Vic Purvis

07RT/08GSA

NB4T

KC7BSX here in Oregon. I haven't tried m/c mobile yet. Been out of the ham scene for a few years and need to get the codes for the local repeater so I can get on. Seems like I'd rather be riding than talking on the radio.

DaveTheAffable
Wow... kind of neat we have so many.

I'll give a report after the test on Monday the 23rd!

And the report is...

... I passed. I took the Tech and General exams on the same morning, and passed both. I'm going to learn code too, I just havent figured out how I'm gonna do morse code while on the K1200.

:dopeslap:

Great job Dave. It's a great and varied hobby and eventually everyone finds their own niche. In some ways things aren't what they used to be in the old(er) days but then again because of all the new technology in other ways things have never been better. Learn about the traditions and experiment with all the new stuff... it's all good...

Way to go Dave. :thumbsup: Good for you on learning morse. I have gotten very rusty, but always enjoyed using morse and honing my skills. Field day was where it really came in handy. It was great for communicating with foreign countries also, there is no accent !! :grin:

• 2 years later...

KK2DX resurrecting an old thread here... Any other Amateur Radio folks kicking around? Considering installing a mobile dual bander on my RT once I get it home. I should have a couple of months of snow and ice to keep me in my garage and tinkering...

73 de KK2DX

NA1G here. 2011 R1200RT for riding, TenTec Corsair for HF, Yaesu FT60 for VHF. Mostly DXing and casual contesting on HF CW.

No plans to install the HT on the RT. I have enough to deal with just riding!

Good to see so many hams on the forum and on BMWs.

TNX es 73,

pete

NK6A here in So. CA. Very active on HF with a Elecraft K3

(Contesting and DX). Also do hiking and camping with QRP gear

(KX1). Bike is a new 2011 R1200RT. No plans for mobile. I do carry a HT and QRP on longer trips.

the wife and I just passed the Technician test too :-)

I am in the process of installing a portable on the RT. So far I've mounted a Comet HP-32FHN antenna recommended by MARC on a mount that I engineered... now i just have to work out how to interface with the Scala G4.

KK4FNO

N0PGH here. I don't talk while riding, but do carry a Yaesu FT-60 and a roll up j-pole in my top case. I enjoy it while staying at a campsite or at rallies

Archived