IGNORED

A better tire mount lub

johnlt

In my never ending search for the best tools to mount tires, I switched from soap & water to "Rim-ease" tire mounting lub which was a major improvement due to its slow evaporation rate. Now I have tried No Mar Tire Mounting Lub which is a paste and wow. This stuff really makes a difference. It does not evaporate so stays put on the tire rim edges. I've mounted 8 tires so far, 4 dirt bike tires with tubes and 4 BMW tires and I am sold on this stuff. I just put a rubber glove on like your friendly proctologist and rub this stuff all around the edge and presto, the tire goes on very easily. FYI

Got a gallon jug of RuGlyde in the garage and used it to mount several sets of tires -- two thumbs up. The stuff really does work a LOT better than soap & water, just difficult to use out of the stock container. Only knocked it over once, and was very thankful to have a gallon jug of SimpleGreen to help clean the garage floor!

Here's the MSDS for those who keep tabs on what's in their garage: http://www.agscompany.com/downloads/msds/ruglyde_tire_mounting_lube_-_013107.pdf

I may try something called "RU-Glyde" sold at Napa stores and others. Anyone have any reports on that stuff?

Ru-Glyde is the "standard" for the tire changing shops,its been around forever and still in use today.I can remember it from when I was a kid and thats been a long time ago. :rofl:

I keep mine in a Mason jar.The large opening allows you dip the tire lube brush,but make sure you put the cap back on after use because it evaporates quickly.

I use Ru_Glyde too. I just pour a little in a plastic cup and use a cheapo foam brush to apply it to the tire bead. You can get about 6 brushes for $2 at HF and they work great for this purpose.

The Ru-Glyde works well too.

I bet I know what was in those mason jars before the Ru-Glyde!

I have to keep the "house" Mason jars and the "garage" mason jars seperated...could be ugly.. :rofl:

The No Mar stuff in the tub, the jelly like goo is also, I suspect, the base for the spray lube they sell.

I bought a tub of the goo and a spray bottle of the "soap", which is shipped as a bottle with a dollop of goo that you add hot water to and shake.

I've taken a finger full of the goop and put it in the bottle, dissolved with hot water, and use it as spray now.

Just a hint to keep you from re-ordering the spray.

I like the No Mar stuff -as johnlt notes, it stays put and is slippery stuff, but I like it not for that, because other things have those properties- I like it because even dried on it washes away cleanly with water and a little agitation and seems benign as far as ingredients are concerned- no solvent odor or anything.

quote]Ru-Glyde is the "standard" for the tire changing shops,its been around forever and still in use today.I can remember it from when I was a kid and thats been a long time ago.

I don't pipe up often, but...

Back in the 70's, I was a tire-changer in high school. (I worked at a Fed Mart store in Houston. They were the Wal-Mart of the day.) Anyway, Ru-Glyde was around then. Woe be the man (or boy, as the case may be) that diluted the Ru-Glyde with water!

I third the No-Mar vegetable oil based lube. Works well, safe for your hands, nonpolluting. (Or at least less than petroleum based ones.) Buy it here - No-Mar

Paul Mihalka

I would be careful with any lube that stays lubing and does not dry out, if used on tires with tubes. I have seen tires move on the rim and tear the valves out. Not a problem on tubeless tires.

In my times of mounting tires, with tubeless tires I just used WD40, which is always at hand. Never had a problem with it.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever tried something like Crisco? it's vegetable based like No-Mar's. for me it's getting the stuff, mail order is a pain as compaired to the local store. It's my undersatanding that WD40 is NOT to be used because it is a petrolium base.

In desert climates, any of the water based products i.e. car wash, evaporate too fast. Even liquid tire lube evaporates too fast in the summer with 5% humidity! Jells/pastes are the only things that I have found that stay put long enough for me but then again, I'm a pretty slow tire changer.

I would be careful with any lube that stays lubing and does not dry out, if used on tires with tubes. I have seen tires move on the rim and tear the valves out. Not a problem on tubeless tires.

In my times of mounting tires, with tubeless tires I just used WD40, which is always at hand. Never had a problem with it.

Paul, I here you on the WD-40.. Used to use it myself on my dirt bike tires.. Last 12-14 or so years I have been using Honda spray cleaner & polish (had it handy & it was recommended by a tire rep) .. You know the good Honda cleaner/polish that was banned in California for a while..

That stuff works better than any of the real tire lubes I have & I like it even better than WD-40.. I too thought I might have a tire slip on the rim using that but I always mark my tire to wheel with a paint mark & haven’t had one slip yet & I run my off road tires down to 15 lbs or so in the tough stuff off road,, & I do ride them hard.. Worst tire I have to mount is my GoldWing,, those tires are like steel with ½” thick sidewalls,, they seem to mount much easier & go right on using that Honda cleaner & polish—(well not right on but they do go on)

Twisty

I recentley mounted a set of tires and used Duck Butter. Its a gasket lube for assembling pipe with rubber gaskets and is water soluble. I don't have anything to compare it with as these were the first tires I've mounted in years. It was cheap and readily available from a plumbing wholesaler

RBertalotto

Until you use the No-Mar products you will never know how terrible everything else folks are talking about on this thread are.

WD-40 to mount tires! Are you kidding me..........That stuff dissolves rubber. And it never stops lubricating.

I used to use car wash, dish soap, spray wax, KY jelly......sure they all work, but they make you work too. The No-Mar stuff is simply amazing!

(Only kidding about the KY.......... :wave:)

Roy, you might want to E-Mail the WD-40 company & tell them they have problems with their product dissolving rubber.. They don’t seem to know that-- as they say OK in their advertising---

“What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

Twisty

I visit my local Goodyear tire/service center and they are happy to sell me a gallon of their commercial tire lube. They buy in bulk (naturally) and don't mind filling a jug for me. A gallon lasts me for 5+ years in my home shop mounting for myself and close buddies. I think they charged me $5.00 for a refill last summer.

'Slip Tac' was the brand as I recall. It not only lubes but also helps seal the bead to the rim as it dries. Great product.

Archived