IGNORED

R12RT GPS Mounting Options

s3steve

I bought a fork stem RAM mount http://www.gpscity.ca/item-ram-mount-motorcycle-fork-stem-base-with-1-inch-ball/ramb342.htm

Thinking I could just pop off the plastic cap and drop it in, tighten it up and away we go. Once the steering stem cap came off I see it is not your traditional fork stem set-up with a hollow tube but instead what appears to be a retaining clip and a bolt that does not turn with the handlebar.

I like the idea of having the GPS in the lower position as opposed to above the gauges but seems that may be the best option.

If some of you guys would mind can you please post a few pics of your GPS set-ups, wiring for the R1200RT and any comments you may have on installation and position of the unit or mounting system pro and cons.

Also any comments on the RCU Accesory Shelf. Does it vibrate or flop around?

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43419

Thanks in advance!

markgoodrich

Migsel dash-mount "shelf" installs in seconds using existing screw locations. GPS unit has been there for 20k++ miles, no issues. Click thumbs:

th_IMG_1605.jpg

th_IMG_1434.jpg

Board member Jakfrost, I think, is the guy who makes a nice metal mount for that steering stem hole. People really like it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

For above the gauges type mount I really like the Migsel set-up but with the low Canadian $ it's a little out of my price range.

TrickLidz set-up looks as good or better then some of the other production units. Great job dude!

I completely forgot about jakfrost's mount. This is just what I'm looking for. I have PM'ed him in the hopes he's still making them. The bonus, is he's an hour and a half or so down the road!

Looks like a good excuse for a spring ride along the lake.

I used a standard RAM "handlebar" mount for my XM radio. The same mount would work for a GPS mount with the appropriate cradle.

Not sure about the power connection. If I were doing it I'd either run it right off the bike's battery or run a Blue Sea or similar fuse block off the battery, then run power from the fuse box to the GPS power.

Should be an easy connection.

2971232060061932057S600x600Q85.jpg

I use the mounting kit that came with my Zumo 550.So far it works great.Also added an XM30 on the front near the forks.I'll try and post a picture

Hi Jim

I wonder if you still have those RAM stem GPS mount that you refer to ( the one that replaces the plastic cap) I have a R1200RT and I realy like the way your GPS mount is fixed.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi, I m new to the forum so bear with me. I have R1200Rt with Migsel mount which I am very pleased with. Have bought BMW pigtail to wire a TomTom in. However I am wondering where to put the wiring. If anyone has done a similar installation could you pass on how you got the wiring to the accessory plug below the dashboard. Did you have to drill or cut the dash?

Archived