IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous check in, Ride Tales and pics....

Lone_RT_rider

Looking at photos and kicking myself for not getting there early enough to take in that ride :cry:

When you gonna do it again... :lurk:

Paul_Burkett

About 5 years ago some of us stayed at the Fontana Resort, it was in the first stages or remodeling, it looks like they have finished that. When we went to dinner and ordered drinks, the waiter said that it is a dry county, however he said that he had about a half of a bottle of Jim Beam in his car that he'ld share with us. What a nice man. It is a beautiful area though, but the police are a major factor to those other guys...you know....speeders. Not that we know of any. :rofl:

roadscholar
...and glad to see you practicing...whatever this skill is :grin:

523343367_Lty8q-M.jpg

I think my eyes were closed on that one. Blind luck :)

big-t, hopefully in the next month or two, will keep you posted.

Bill W., we came around a tight (decreasing radius) corner to find a 12 Adv. off the other side teetering on the precipice. It was a father/son combo on similar bikes on their way from Cleveland to the BMW off-road school in Spartanburg. The kid missed the turn and nearly the appointment. It took about five people to get the bike back on the road. They joined us for some forest roads before heading back south again.

steve.foote
So, just what are you trying to say about Steve? :grin:

520474663_v68bt-L.jpg

Nine tons. Yep, that's about how heavy the GS felt while pushing it around some of those forest service road switchbacks. ;)

What a week! For me, it started on Saturday with a quick overnight at Casa de Davis and the best taxpayer-subsidised beef tenderloin I've ever eaten. We nicknamed it, "Obamignon." Mark has that green egg thing worked out!

From there I was off to see my dad and help him replace his decade old home theater equipment. I brought up an Onkyo AV receiver and various cables and tools to make it happen. But, before we went shopping on Monday I was able to have a nice dinner with Kenny Haynes and Jim Williams on Sunday night. It sure was great to see those guys again. We all missed seeing Phil, but understand why he couldn’t attend.

On Wednesday, I took off from dads and headed to the Maggie Valley Inn. Being the first there was, well, a first for me. I don’t usually take this much time off, but it was nice to relax a little before riding.

Thursday found Matt and myself roaming all over the western part of the riding area whereupon we lunched in Tellico Plains. You could have hit me over the head with a shovel when I saw Danny, with a sh*t-eating grin sitting at the table with Alan, Deb, Mitch and Shawn. The things you see in the mountains.

I want to particularly thank Bill Ferran for the invite on Friday. Even though I struggled with 107 on the way to your house, it was one of the best learning days of riding I’ve experienced in a long time. Definitely fun, but also very challenging. We’ll simply have to have another go at it. And, lunch at the river was magical. There is nothing quite like a nice DS ride with a spectacular local like that. Great fun.

By the time Saturday rolled around, I had already run over 500 miles of twisties and forest service roads. I wasn’t sure if I was physically up to doing one of Ken Insley’s routes. For those of you who haven’t had a chance to ride with Ken, it’s a very long, physical route through some of the most remote and beautiful scenery imaginable. By lunch, I was a basket case, but was able to summon enough energy to make it the rest of the 270-some miles we did. In Insley mileage, 270 miles is like 540 regular miles. There was more then one time where I thought we might be squeeling like pigs before the day was done. I must make honorable mention to our third rider, Chris Oudekerk, who performed all those tasks on his G650X Challenge. He’s a manly man.

All said, it was the longest event I’ve attended, and the most mileage ridden on location. Definitely fun, very exhausting and seriously relaxing at the same time. I enjoyed the various conversations and seeing so many new and old friends. Again a big thanks to Matt and Shawn for pulling it all together.

In 6:00 pm Tuesday after a short detour to Ft Bragg, NC to see an old army buddy. Deb did her first 500 mile day today! We had great riding all weekend and my GPS is still in one piece!

Alan

Alan,

did you guys get to see the new museum of the infantryman at Bragg? I'm going to go up there soon and check it out.

Thanks for a great 5 days to Shawn and Matt. Some observations of the event.

Good to see old friends. Motorcycling is keeping us young.

How good is breakfast at Joey's pancake house??

How can Harley's be so loud and slow?

Why didn't I bring my mesh?--was heard often.

Where did they find that tough chicken?

Curfew for Beemer riders is 9:30 p.m.

We are very fortunate people. Later

so Bob......when are we going to get to see some pics of that Aprilia? I see it there in your avitar, but come on now.....stop teasing us.

Joe Frickin' Friday
In 6:00 pm Tuesday after a short detour to Ft Bragg, NC to see an old army buddy. Deb did her first 500 mile day today! We had great riding all weekend and my GPS is still in one piece! Alan

Well, your bike is still running, so I guess the Drunken Tech Daze was a success! :grin:

Looks like everyone had a great time.

:thumbsup:

Painful to watch.

:)

This was only the second event out of 13 (10 El Paseo's and 3 BRR's) that I/we missed.

Many familiar faces and places in the pics so thanks for posting them.

Hope to make the next one. :P

BTW, anyone grab the Geocache?

OK- chicken here are some shots. You twisted my arm.

Rogera-- don't get upset when you see these. A new Ducati will ease the pain!

Great pictures Bob. Since its another pancake breakfast this Saturday, I may have to buy two Ducati's to ease the pain.

BTW, anyone grab the Geocache?

Crap.....I completely forgot about it once I was down there. I even had the GPS coordinates written down in my top box. I wanted to hand them out to everyone and push some buttons to see if we could get it moving again. :dopeslap:

Had a great time. Thanks to all who made it happen.

Great to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones...Was great riding with ya' Bill and Dick - hope to see you at Barber in October.

The weather was near perfect and the roads, (as always) were awesome. Looking forward to next time.

Some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Rick

Right Spin Says:

"By the time Saturday rolled around, I had already run over 500 miles of twisties and forest service roads. I wasn’t sure if I was physically up to doing one of Ken Insley’s routes. For those of you who haven’t had a chance to ride with Ken, it’s a very long, physical route through some of the most remote and beautiful scenery imaginable. By lunch, I was a basket case, but was able to summon enough energy to make it the rest of the 270-some miles we did. In Insley mileage, 270 miles is like 540 regular miles. There was more then one time where I thought we might be squeeling like pigs before the day was done. I must make honorable mention to our third rider, Chris Oudekerk, who performed all those tasks on his G650X Challenge. He’s a manly man."

Fisherman Says:

I ride with Iron Man Insley about once a week. He has a 230 mile route that is fairly typical. For 200 miles you will not have a break. The turns just keep coming. Off camber, bad pavement, switchbacks, no paint and no cars....you relax for a moment and you are a dead man. The man is a hardhearted animal and shows no sympathy for anyone.

For a rider of average ability like myself, if you ride with him one of three things will happen; you will never go again or you will go and become a better rider. I will not tell what the third thing is.

Nice n Easy Rider
Right Spin Says:

"By the time Saturday rolled around, I had already run over 500 miles of twisties and forest service roads. I wasn’t sure if I was physically up to doing one of Ken Insley’s routes. For those of you who haven’t had a chance to ride with Ken, it’s a very long, physical route through some of the most remote and beautiful scenery imaginable. By lunch, I was a basket case, but was able to summon enough energy to make it the rest of the 270-some miles we did. In Insley mileage, 270 miles is like 540 regular miles. There was more then one time where I thought we might be squeeling like pigs before the day was done. I must make honorable mention to our third rider, Chris Oudekerk, who performed all those tasks on his G650X Challenge. He’s a manly man."

Fisherman Says:

I ride with Iron Man Insley about once a week. He has a 230 mile route that is fairly typical. For 200 miles you will not have a break. The turns just keep coming. Off camber, bad pavement, switchbacks, no paint and no cars....you relax for a moment and you are a dead man. The man is a hardhearted animal and shows no sympathy for anyone.

For a rider of average ability like myself, if you ride with him one of three things will happen; you will never go again or you will go and become a better rider. I will not tell what the third thing is.

I hadn't downloaded any of Ken's routes but at breakfast on Saturday he gave me (off the top of his head) a route up to Roan Mtn. When I got back up to my room I remembered enough of the numbers to plug what seemed a reasonable route into the Zumo.

Quinn and I probably covered the first 100 or so miles before we got lost but I have to agree with Fisherman "The turns just keep coming. Off camber, bad pavement, switchbacks, no paint and no cars....you relax for a moment and you are a dead man." By the time we stopped for lunch Quinn and i were exhausted (both physically and mentally). I still thoroughly enjoyed it though. Thanks Ken. :)

Feelin' the love :wave:

You've gotta look at it like a workout.

You want/need to do it, there is a large amount of time when you have a "high", near the end you're not sure you'll make it, and once you're recovered you'll want to do it again.

Fisherman calls me about riding at least once a week and begs for less than 280. I can get a rise out of him when I say "Hey, there's this road I want to check out" :rofl:

lawnchairboy

the third thing is:

getting worn out enough to not realize you have seriously miscalculated the approaching right hander....

DAMHIK.

Archived