IGNORED

Ouray IV, "Solstice Soiree" is now official June 19-22

azkaisr

Tentatively in with dirt bike.

Anyone up for Black Bear Pass?? Black Bear pass

John,

The Telluride Bluegrass Festival will be on. I'm having second thoughts about getting anywhere near Telluride. If we decide to go we need to research restrictions. I'm not sure we can drive into town, or get through town for a highway return.

Just somethin' to think about.

You're probably right Jan, I think maybe I picked the right week "not" to be there. If Engineer pass is open, that would be a good dirt run to Lake City and back. I haven't done it but heard it is an excellent route. The DRZ would be just right for it. Good luck.

You're probably right Jan, I think maybe I picked the right week "not" to be there. If Engineer pass is open, that would be a good dirt run to Lake City and back. I haven't done it but heard it is an excellent route. The DRZ would be just right for it. Good luck.

Forgot you are out. Silly me.

Jan, it was on last year and the year before and it was never a issue for us as we headed up there over Lizard Head Pass. Heck, you don't notice them unless you go INTO town or over to the music area. I think we will have more issues with Snow than anything if we went that way.

Also, the road up to Engineer Pass has some tough spots for a Jeep or ATV. If you want to bring the DRZ over it, bring your A game amigo.

Also, the road up to Engineer Pass has some tough spots for a Jeep or ATV. If you want to bring the DRZ over it, bring your A game amigo.
"Anybody can do it" :clap:
"Anybody can do it" :clap:

.....I've heard that before.

I wonder if BrianT was listening......or Lisa's bike for that matter?????

Sometimes you just have to let a cowboy rodeo Whip. Talking sense just doesn't cut it with these fellas

• 2 weeks later...
questrider

Hey, we're here! Where are you guys? Oh, wait... we're about 10 days early.

That's always the case. Our vacation plans just don't seem to match up with the rest of yours. We were also in Torrey a week ago about 10 days too late! Someday Jen and I hope to hook up with the rest of you here in Ouray or elsewhere.

We'll toast to all of you for good weather and good times in the coming weeks. :grin:

What's the latest with Roydog?????

It looks like we may have room for Roy and his son "the Rockstar" ..."the jeep driver"...."the seller of bags of coal"

????????????????????????

Really, you are just now starting? Dude, I've been hyped since Torrey ended.

PS, I'm committing sacrilege. It's gonna be a bourbon outing for me.

AdventurePoser

I remember when you all rode up to Ouray to visit J and I. That was memorable to us. Have a great time, friends.

Steve in So Cal

Nah enjoy the bourbon. I am officially on the wagon but will still have a grand time!

Nah enjoy the bourbon. I am officially on the wagon but will still have a grand time!

Drinking is always the least of it for me. You know me, none, one or two depending on my mood, but oftentimes none. It really doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment at all.

I've been excited for DAYS and WEEKS if not MONTHS now!! :clap:

I may have to leave Sunday and ride to Elko, NV or somewhere as I've got a meeting in Reno early on the morning of the 23rd.

No Bourbon for me, thanks . . . but I'll try to have some wine on hand! :thumbsup:

It looks like we may have room for Roy and his son "the Rockstar" ..."the jeep driver"...."the seller of bags of coal"

????????????????????????

We're still in, I haven't booked a room yet. I was looking at the Riverside Inn ?

You might have room for the Rockstar and Manager ? :grin:

????????????????????????

We're still in, I haven't booked a room yet. I was looking at the Riverside Inn ?

You might have room for the Rockstar and Manager ? :grin:

I'll get a complete count today from the boss......I bet we can work it out.

We still have one twin bed in the room shared with Joel. I hear that he won't sting though.

I've been informed....We have a couple extra beds.

Firefight911

OK, OK, OK!!!

I am officially IN!! Jamie is struggling to sort out work. If she can make it, she will drive out Thursday night into Friday so she can join us Friday afternoon. If she comes out, she will have the truck and may bring her bike in it.

Regardless, we both have to leave early Sunday. I have a very important meeting on Monday that I can not/will not miss and Jamie can not get the Monday off work for sure.

Now, when to arrive for me???????? F800GS or K13GT???????? Where to stay???????

Help me decide these three important questions!!

OK, OK, OK!!!

I am officially IN!! Jamie is struggling to sort out work. If she can make it, she will drive out Thursday night into Friday so she can join us Friday afternoon. If she comes out, she will have the truck and may bring her bike in it.

Regardless, we both have to leave early Sunday. I have a very important meeting on Monday that I can not/will not miss and Jamie can not get the Monday off work for sure.

:grin::clap::thumbsup:

Our mystery riders are out of the closet at last!

1. As early as you can.

2. Would you take the F8 up on the 4wd mountain passes? It's on the bigger side of what you see up there. If yes, then that's your bike. If no, then it becomes which bike you prefer on the twisties and which bike will get you there better. The K bike will clearly get you there with greater ease. Not sure which bike you prefer on the twisties. Not sure your route, or how much twisties time you've got. You figure it out.

3. Sounds like Whip has something in mind for where to stay during the event. I'll wait for him to chime in on that. If you are coming early options for the early portion of the trip are camping (not necessarily K bike accessible), moderate priced hotels in Montrose, or expensive hotels elsewhere. You can stay here if you want, and make a fine day or two street ride out to Ouray. Might be able to drag me along, but I'd most likely be saddled with a loaded truck (maybe Sharon would relent, but I ain't countin' on it)

On item 3, if it's just you, the room with Joel and two twin beds would work great for ya. When you know if Jamie is gonna make it, that's the time to figure this out.

Why not just bring the dog?

Tom, it's actually 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have already marked the calendar for next year. I'm not missing this again. Me and the Jeep are in.

So we just need to hear from the Couch man then. And Marco, next year I am coming to get ya!

Oh and Jamie, lets talk this weekend to get things settled

Tom

OK, OK, OK!!!

Y'all have your own room.......boss was prepared.

The Rockstar and his manager are also covered.

Killer's truck is getting checked out as we type.

Firefight911

Y'all have your own room.......boss was prepared.

You are the best!!!

So, what's the consensus on weather and road conditions? Weather appears to be cool to cold. Much snow still around? How about the condition up to Pikes Peak?

How about the condition up to Pikes Peak?

Ouray to Pikes Peak is 268 miles one way. Don't know if the snow is clear yet but I doubt it.

Pike's Peak

I think Pike's Peak is a two day add on, but doable.

Yep, to the extent you can trust a ten-day, looking cool. Cold at night. Possible ice on the passes in the mornings. Therefore, possible sand on the passes. Roads were superb in March and May when went through. Days should warm up nicely. Thunderstorm activity appears to be predicted to decrease, but afternoon storms are always likely at altitude, predictions are for towns.

I think the weather will be fine whatever you want to do, but I'm making no guarantees. Be prepared for all eventualities.

You'll likely see snowpack, but I don't think it will be an issue on roads known to be open (all paved roads in the area, and most dirt).

I'm stoked.

We still have one twin bed in the room shared with Joel. I hear that he won't sting though.

I'm trying very hard not to let the persistence of that vacancy hurt my self esteem. :grin:

Got the right gear and tires, but maybe the wrong size bike for wallowing. We'll see. We're talking Colorado weather, so there is still plenty of time for the forecast to change, and a puncher's chance that the forecasters will be wrong (as they frequently are). OTOH, our weather since March doesn't encourage me much. That forecast looks like MOTS.

Got the right gear and tires, but maybe the wrong size bike for wallowing. We'll see. We're talking Colorado weather, so there is still plenty of time for the forecast to change, and a puncher's chance that the forecasters will be wrong (as they frequently are). OTOH, our weather since March doesn't encourage me much. That forecast looks like MOTS.

We can always jump in the jeeps and have just as much fun.

:thumbsup:

We can always jump in the jeeps and have just as much fun.

:thumbsup:

Agreed. I think wildflowers and some other subject matter photograph better under overcast skies. But I won't give up hope for sunshine until I'm standing in a downpour on Saturday morning.

I think I'm pretty much covered. With the camper and trailer, I have so much room for stuff I just keep throwing more and more stuff in. I think I've got "Mrs. Whip syndrome". :eek:

I think I'm pretty much covered. With the camper and trailer, I have so much room for stuff I just keep throwing more and more stuff in. I think I've got "Mrs. Whip syndrome". :eek:

I think you just went from a private room to the bunk beds....... :)

I think you just went from a private room to the bunk beds....... :)

As long as it's not the dog house...

On second thought, I've been there before and survived.

Pike's Peak

I think Pike's Peak is a two day add on, but doable.

Yep, to the extent you can trust a ten-day, looking cool. Cold at night. Possible ice on the passes in the mornings. Therefore, possible sand on the passes. Roads were superb in March and May when went through. Days should warm up nicely. Thunderstorm activity appears to be predicted to decrease, but afternoon storms are always likely at altitude, predictions are for towns.

I think the weather will be fine whatever you want to do, but I'm making no guarantees. Be prepared for all eventualities.

You'll likely see snowpack, but I don't think it will be an issue on roads known to be open (all paved roads in the area, and most dirt).

I'm stoked.

This sounds like a wx report from my elk hunting days, great stuff! Wx at altitude is always iffy, bring clothes for everything, loved it.

OK, OK, OK!!!

It's Phil, so you know, it's understandable that you have to ask for an update....

Whatcha' doin Sunny Boy?

Left Ouray yesterday morning (Saturday). It was 41. Off and on rain.

Going to miss you guys by a week. Have fun!

Archived