IGNORED

Helmet Lock

Lmar

I want to purchase a helmet lock system for my RT. ZTechnik has one that attaches to the license plate. Are there any others that are better? Whats everyone using?

I have this holder and use it regularly.If you just want a place to hang your helmet this item will work. It (and your helmet)is secured only by the bolts that hold your license plate. I ran across one that was secured to the fender with locking bolts but can't seem to find it right now. Twisted Throttle also has one that may be secured differently but I can't tell by the brief description here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productprint/3864/141/

Is there any convenient helmet lock that holds the helmet somewhat upright, so that rain won't soak the helmet? or so passers-by can't throw their garbage, or worse, in the helmet?

Yes they are called saddle bags.

Riding solo isn't a problem using the saddle bags or the back case. It is when we are riding two up with luggage.

Very true I use the ZTechnik my self with out any problems and just take my helmet with me if its raining. It would take a very patient thief to remove Ztech, you have to first unbolt the licence plate then remove 4 bolts from the fender.

Eric the Blue

I'm actually headed to my dealer tomorrow to buy the ZTechnik something similar. Like most everyone else, I generally use a saddlebag, but it'll be nice to be able to secure my helmet when the bags are in use.

russell_bynum

I use handcuffs. I go through the D-ring with one cuff and around the bars with the other. (Note: take the fuzzy padding off the handcuffs first. :grin: )

I figure it's secure enough to keep the casual asshat from taking it, if I lose the keys, pretty much any police officer can unlock them for me, and besides...who's going to mess with a helmet that's handcuffed to a bike?

I carry a second set to cuff my Roadcrafter to the bars as well.

Is there any convenient helmet lock that holds the helmet somewhat upright, so that rain won't soak the helmet? or so passers-by can't throw their garbage, or worse, in the helmet?

I've been using the license plate helmet locks for years. I think they're terrific.

I catty a plastic bag to hook over the helmet if it looks like rain. The bag packs down to nothing.

Dave in Doodah

L-Mar,

I have a nice license plate helmet lock thingy that came with my bike. Am happy to drop it in the mail if you'd like.

fourteenfour

OK, what about the cable method or whatever that process is for the RT under the seat helmet lock? I never tried it but saw it when glancing through my manual

MrHondamatic
I use one that locks to your system case. It sits up on the case and rain and trash doesn't get in.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1984

I just ordered a pair of those. They looked to be the best option for us. We tried using the under seat hooks, which don't work worth a hoot with the side cases in place. We had been using a retractable locking cable device, but it lets things move around a little. When I called my local (?) dealer, they could only suggest the license plate system, which I wasn't fond of, so I placed an order with A&S. I'll be interested to see how they work out.

This is the crooked "J" that fits through the "D" ring on the chin strap and then latches under the side case handle? I use one all the time with good luck. Only problem is that my spare helmet uses a quick connect strap and not a "D" ring. I've been too lazy to sew one on it yet. You've got to practice the same routine each time; entering the hook end from the same direction, facing the helmet the same way, etc. Soon it becomes automatic.

George Brown
Very true I use the ZTechnik my self with out any problems and just take my helmet with me if its raining. It would take a very patient thief to remove Ztech, you have to first unbolt the licence plate then remove 4 bolts from the fender.
I also have one like the ZTechnik (don't know who made mine). It came with hex head screws that have a pin in them requiring a hollow hex head wrench. I would think this would slow a thief down a little. I've never had any problems with mine - use it all the time, even to store my helmet when the bike is in my garage. One nice feature I like is the ability to hang the helmet on the hook and not lock it. Eliminates the worry the helmet falling off the seat, mirror or whatever when making stops.

Originally Posted By: MAT2CHI

I use one that locks to your system case. It sits up on the case and rain and trash doesn't get in.

I just ordered a pair of those. They looked to be the best option for us. We tried using the under seat hooks, which don't work worth a hoot with the side cases in place. We had been using a retractable locking cable device, but it lets things move around a little. When I called my local (?) dealer, they could only suggest the license plate system, which I wasn't fond of, so I placed an order with A&S. I'll be interested to see how they work out.

Its hard to tell from the picture how they work. What locks the helmet to the saddle bag?

KingBiscuit
I have this holder and use it regularly.If you just want a place to hang your helmet this item will work. It (and your helmet)is secured only by the bolts that hold your license plate. I ran across one that was secured to the fender with locking bolts but can't seem to find it right now. Twisted Throttle also has one that may be secured differently but I can't tell by the brief description here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productprint/3864/141/

I have the same one. I really like it.

MrHondamatic

Its hard to tell from the picture how they work. What locks the helmet to the saddle bag?

As mentioned above, they are secured by the locking handle of the side cases. For only $20 each, I'm not out much if they don't work out, but I am guessing they will do what we need them to do.

I use handcuffs. I go through the D-ring with one cuff and around the bars with the other. (Note: take the fuzzy padding off the handcuffs first. :grin: )

Oh, I like this idea! Does the helmet hang down, sit on a mirror or sit on the tank? I've used the cable gun locks on my old bike, through the D-ring and part of the frame for my saddle bags. I haven't found a good place to attach on the new bike, but then again I've been using the saddle bag currently. The best part about the gun locks was that they were free, usually get plenty with the toy purchased not to mention that our office have these for free for the citizens in our community.

Maybe the fuzzy padding would protect the bike from scratches... nobody will laugh, I promise...

• 2 weeks later...
MrHondamatic

lidloc_08%5B1%5D.jpg

Well, I have the locks and have been using them. They work well, as intended, but on a non modular helmet they are a little bit cumbersome to use when locking and unlocking the handle on the case.

You can ride down the road with a helmet attached as advertised, but there can/will be some movement. Getting on and off the bike with a helmet sitting on the case is a PITA, at least it is for my stubby legs. I had to take the wife's helmet with me last Friday, and carried it this way since it won't fit inside a case. I'll get a net to use next time, and carry it on the passenger seat instead.

When out and about by myself, I keep one attached to the left case, and just hook the D rings to one of the tabs if I don't need to lock it up. Kind of handy that way.

I can also use them on the top case and let the helmet dangle from it, which is OK as long as it doesn't rain. I think I can put both of them on the top case at the same time, which might be a good solution when we are out two up.

Used as reccomended, the inside of your helmet will stay reasonably dry sitting out in the rain. A goose drownder may offer slightly less than optimal results. DAMHIK ;)

For the price, and the fact that nothing needs modified, they work pretty good.

I have the funny little J hook widgets. They work okay. I find the level of fiddling a bit too cumbersome. On trips my seatbag interferes with their use. In the end, I just use a 6' cable and small padlock. The cable can secure helmet and jacket (through the sleeve) simultaneously.

I would like to see how the handcuffs secure the jacket... hmmmm.

Go to your local police department and ask for a gun lock. Funding for the free locks is provided by the firearm manufactures. The lock has a small cable designed to be inserted through a handgun barrel.

In the case of a helmet, insert the cable through the D-rings and then loop the cable around the handle bars or any other convenient hard point on your bike.

Archived