IGNORED

Nolan N103

rob1100r

I recently got a new N103, as my Scuberth C1 is getting up there in years (and has hit the ground a couple times). This helmet seems to be built as good as my C1, fits great and doesn't cost NEARLY what a C3 goes for,and when I install the Ncom for tunes it will make it complete. I used it for the first time on yesterdays 200 mile excursion. I was hoping (and ASSuming) that it would be QUIETER than the C1, but no way, just as loud...I just laughed after the first mile (wasn't going to let this ruin my ride!) I have only used the Scuberth and (now) the 103 modular helmets. I guess they are all noisy, even the newest models, I was hoping for half the noise of my C1....Life goes on, thanks for reading my RANT!

Glad to see that there is someone else with the same opinion of the N103. What's your thoughts on the NCom? I need to have the windscreen up all the way to kill some of the noise to hear my IPOD.

ArthurKnowles

It's teh same with my Zox and my previous Nolan N-102. I'm looking to by A schuberth C3 later this year. Supposedly it is very quite (rated at 84 db) and I'd like to give it a try. I'm going to have to buy it overseas though and have it shipped. I won't mention the cost either.

I guess they are all noisy, even the newest models, I was hoping for half the noise of my C1....

Not to hijack your post, but I had similar experience with a Caberg modular; so noisy wearing hearing protection wasn't an option, it was mandatory. I considered the N-103 but the fit wasn't quite right and was moving towards the Shoei Multitec.

Has anyone seen statistics on helmet noise? Any opinions about the Multitec?

Thanks

Tom

tpfeffer@gmail.com

I've been a Nolan guy since the early N100 and they have all been on the noisey side IMO, but I have found that using foam earplugs and helmet speakers is the way to go for me. With the earplugs in I can actualy hear the machine and my music much better and can leave my windscreen at the lowest setting, which in the hot months here in Vegas is not low enough. The noise seems to be a trade off to be able to get a drink without taking of your lid. The reality is that we should all use hearing protection no matter what helmet we use do to the hearing damage that is caused even when we feel the helmets are quiet.

I have the new N-103. I've had other makes over forty five years of riding. They are all noisey. I had ear plugs made at the rally in Wisconcin last year, far better than the foam although I carry some of those in my tank bag just in case. Get the ear protection and you will enjoy your helmet much more.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote=tpfeffer I considered the N-103 but the fit wasn't quite right and was moving towards the Shoei Multitec.

Has anyone seen statistics on helmet noise? Any opinions about the Multitec?

Thanks

Tom

tpfeffer@gmail.com

I just switched to the N-103 after 5 years with a Multitec. The reason was features, not price, but the price is noticeable! I miss the Multitec, but I think I can get used to the N-103. I ride an F800ST with a tall windshield, putting my head in some turbulence. The N-103 is noiser in this situation. The N-103 noise goes way down in clean air. Haven't tried the Multitec in clean air at highway speeds since I got the N-103. I found a post over on advrider describing how to plug some of the noise leaks on the N-103, and I plan to try that. YMMV, but I HTH. Dave

Plugs, quiet ride, less stress, and saves your hearing.

Should you not want to hear what's being said, index finger both hands, "sorry can't hear you, got my plugs in." Less stress from from your passenger as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious after you guys have had the N103, How do you feel about it now? The same, worse, did you buy another one?

I'm looking at getting this one. I have the Shuberth now but it's old and definitely needs replaced. I've put the N103 on ONCE but I haven't test road the bike with it. The dealer said to come back and wear the helmet while riding the bike to see how I like it. After reading this, I may do that.

Any other comments?

I recently purchased a Nolan N103 with the full Bluetooth setup. I just returned from a 2000 mile trip which was the first time that I have worn the helmet for extended periods. I had an Arai Corsair previously and was very happy with it. The Nolan is not as quiet or as comfortable as the Arai, but once I got used to wearing it using earplugs it was OK. I really like the flip-up feature and the Bluetooth is great. The faceshield is very easy to remove and the sunshade is excellent. Overall I am satisfied with the Nolan.

Karl Riemer

2007 K1200GT

I must be missing something. Unless you smoke or eat while you ride, I don't see much point to being able to open the front of your helmet. The consensus seems to be they are noisier, they're not Snell certified, and they are [negligibly] heavier. What's the point?

Just my .02.

Quote:

'The noise seems to be a trade off to be able to get a drink without taking of your lid.'

That, for me is one of the main things. On some rides you really only want to stop if you HAVE to (gas) at which point you 'relieve' yourself as well, but I don't want to stop for a sip! After a while you do get used to the noise, and yes I have earplugs I use sometimes, it's not all that bad, thus the trade off. As for no Snell certification, oh well, since I'm not racing on a track nobody is looking for that certification.

What's the point?

After riding for 40 some years I like a snug helmet but not having my ears ripped every time I put the hat on or take it off (and it doesn't bend up my glasses). My daily hat is a Nolan N103, but I have a Jarow Mono, HJC SyMax, and Nolan N100 on the shelf. They may be a bit noisy, but don't we all wear earplugs anyway? And, in my opinion, based on the numbers you might see being worn, many get the point (some point, anyway).

But if I could find a 'very' quiet helmet that would keep the rain out on a daylong downpour, vent properly when it suppose to, and not when it's not suppose to, I'd consider it whether it were a full or mod.

they're not Snell certified

I think that's in their favor as well, of course that's also just my opinion.

I must be missing something. Unless you smoke or eat while you ride, I don't see much point to being able to open the front of your helmet. The consensus seems to be they are noisier, they're not Snell certified, and they are [negligibly] heavier. What's the point?

Just my .02.

They have a lot of usefulness off the bike, as well -- very convenient to be able to open it up to hold conversations, to get a clearer view (particularly of something low which would be visually blocked by a fixed chinbar - for example, trying to look at a pocket on your jacket, where you only can bend your head down so far before the chinbar rests against your chest), get more air flow while at a standstill, easier to scratch an itch, etc.

A more subtle thing -- but one I've *definitely* observed to be true, is that opening up and revealing your face has a remarkable "disarming" effect on non-motorcyclists -- something about there being what amounts to a fear reaction to the "non-human machine" in a fullface (particularly with a tinted visor) that seems to melt away when a full human face appears.

$0.02 deposited!

Archived