IGNORED

Alternative to Aerostich?

Jon_M

At the risk of sacrilege, I am tired of the bulkiness of my two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter. For the five years that I have worn it, I have appreciated the quality and the level of protection it offers, but I am beginning to really dislike the clumsiness I feel when I am wearing it. I notice the constraint particularly when getting on and off the bike (R12RT)and when moving around in slow-speed maneuvers when I need to twist around or look over my shoulder to see where I am going. On my old /2, I have to unzip the right leg practically to the crotch in order to get enough leg movement to start the bike with the kick starter.

Are there suits that offer a comparable level of protection and construction quality but also allow freer movement and greater comfort? I've been noticing the gear recently offered by Olympia. Do they make you feel like the Michelin tire guy?

russell_bynum

It sounds like your Roadcrafter doesn't fit properly. I've got full mobility in mine and have worn it on everything from my old RT to the Tuono, dirt bike, and my cbr600rr track bike.

There's other stuff out there (the Motoport stuff, orwhatever it is called these days, always impressed me) but if fit is your only complaint with the Roadcrafter, I'd suggest trying to get one that fits rather than looking elsewhere.

It sounds like your Roadcrafter doesn't fit properly. I've got full mobility in mine and have worn it on everything from my old RT to the Tuono, dirt bike, and my cbr600rr track bike.

There's other stuff out there (the Motoport stuff, orwhatever it is called these days, always impressed me) but if fit is your only complaint with the Roadcrafter, I'd suggest trying to get one that fits rather than looking elsewhere.

Unquestionably it's the wrong fit. You can save a lot of cash by checking out the Stich website or calling them. They do just about any custom alteration you can imagine at reasonable prices. Back when I bought a crotch rocket I could hardly ride the bike due to the fit of my Stich. I needed more room for the forward lean and bent knees on the Ninja. I went to Aeorostich and it came back perfect. They also were amazingly helpful during the entire process.

FYI, keep in mind how long these last. I've had my Stich for about 15 years so any custom work amortizes very nicely.

It sounds like a fit issue on the Aerostich.

Considering where you live, if getting the Aerostich altered is not an option, then check out Motoport/Cycleport. Hop on down to Escondido and get one of their kevlar suits custom fitted.

I have had a Darien Light for three years. Black. I really like it in the rain and in cool and even cold weather. I have the Aerostich heavy duty electric liner which I do not use any longer. I now use Gerbing's long sleeve with attachments for the electric gloves. BUT...even the Darien is bulkier than my BMW Rally 2 Pro, which I can also wear the Gerbing under. I also have an Atlantis 3 Pro which is a bit heavy and only used in the Fall and Spring. Take a look at the Rally Pro, I see some from time to time on e-bay. Worth the money. If money is tight I think Tour Master is a great value

Matts_12GS

I have an Olympia mesh suit that I have been pretty happy with. I'd consider buying another one, especially since they're doing a stitch copy for about $500.

It sounds like your Roadcrafter doesn't fit properly.
The 'stich does fit, in fact I've consulted with the factory and had it altered a couple of times to make it better. I've washed it several times, hoping to soften it up a bit, but it's just bulky and stiff by the nature of its construction. The armor especially limits the flexibility at the knees and elbows. For one example, when I try to start the /2, the knee pad simply physically limits how how high I can lift my leg. It's a real grunt, and if I am standing on an uneven surface, there is the danger of an ignominious fall. So, I unzip the leg and then have to re-zip it while working the throttle to keep the bike running. Others who ride the vintage bikes have the same complaint. I also feel constrained on either bike if I want to pivot at the waist to look behind me, or if I want to look over my shoulder. It's like wearing a corset. When I get underway and am not needing to maneuver or muscle the bike, it's perfectly comfortable and not problemmatic. I can put in eight-hour days without complaint.
MrHondamatic

Jon, How tall are you? I am wondering if a person's general build has much effect on manuverability. Shorter riders having more difficulty than taller would be my guess.

Jon, How tall are you? I am wondering if a person's general build has much effect on manuverability. Shorter riders having more difficulty than taller would be my guess.

I'm 5'10", 165 pounds. The suit is a size 40 with custom alterations. Right now I am wearing the two-piece suit zipped together into one. It's a little better for flexibility when I wear it with top and bottom separate with a bib on the pants. The problem there is that the bib blocks air to the chest and is much hotter in the summer months. Life is not perfect.

What are you wearing under the suit? I have had a Darien jacket and pants, custom fit, for 7 years and I use LD Comfort undergarments, jeans made it hard to move around like you are talking about. I have looked at other brands of clothing but still like the Stich!

bayoubengal

I just recieved the new Teiz Motorstports one piece mesh. First ride this morning. Temp was 75 degrees. It was very comfortable to ride in. I've never owned a one piece, and certainly no high end like AS or Rev'It etc. so I have no frame of reference for comparison. The Teiz MS suit is a $249.00 suit. For that price it is loaded with features and has lots of padding and armor. My initial impression is that is seems to be of good quality materials and workmanship. Fit was good. I gave them all key measurements. It is releatively easy to get into and out of. Visually it looks pretty sharp. I have two concerns. First the neck band velcro grabs my helmet padding and I can't help but think the velcro along the two long main zippers will be a challenge after some serious use. Please no scolding for buying a BMW and not spending $900.00 for a riding suit. I love some of the high end suits but they simply were not in the budget. Teiz did not cost AS a sale, they made ownership available to someone who otherwise would not have a one piece. But again my initial impression is positive. Will be happy to put out a 1000 mile report if anyone is interested.

The problem there is that the bib blocks air to the chest and is much hotter in the summer months. Life is not perfect.

I agree.

Maybe they could make you a mesh bib?

I had suggested this in 2004, but was told, "I am sorry, but at this time we do not have any plan on making the bib converter in a mesh material."

Good idea! Or maybe I could resort to galluses.

Actually, now I use the hold-up suspenders, which I feel does as well as the bibpants converter, but is cooler.

---John.

Actually, now I use the hold-up suspenders, which I feel does as well as the bibpants converter, but is cooler.

---John.

Last night, after a long ride that confirmed my complaint about the clumsiness of the 'Stich when zipped together, I went back to the bib to see just how much difference it makes. It's a big difference --much less restrictive-- and now this tip about the hold-up suspenders has put me down another track. Aerostich says they work well with Roadcrafter pants, so I'm going to give them a try. For twenty bucks they are cheap if they persuade me to keep the suit.

..... Please no scolding for buying a BMW and not spending $900.00 for a riding suit.... Will be happy to put out a 1000 mile report if anyone is interested.

I looked at the Teiz on their website. At first glance, it looks like a real bargain for $249. I haven't seen any reviews, but dang, for $500 you get both the mesh and the standard suit. There is nothing enobling about spending $900 for a suit. I paid the Aerostich price because at the time I bought it, there was little serious competition. Now there are many good alternatives for substantially less money. I definitely need a hot weather suit, so I for one would be interested in your 1000-mile report.

Jon,

Many years of hold-up use here.

They work very well and I keep one hooked up to all my riding pants.

AdventurePoser

Hey Jon,

Being the lazy a$$ I can be on a Sunday morning, without reading all the replies to your post, I'm going to say it's gotta be the fit of your suit. Why don't you ride over to my place in your Stich, and let's check it out...I've owned several of them and not had the problems you describe.

PM me for my address, or a meeting place for lunch/coffee and we'll take a look...

Steve

I'm with Balogna what are you wearing underneath with mine jeans are too bulky bike shorts,hiking pants,dress pants work much better when it's cold just long johns work great.

I bought an Arlen Ness Nightrider jkt a few years ago and the fit is outstanding .Elbow , shoulder and spine protection .Scothlite reflective piping. Has vents .Black with red accents. Absolutely brilliant jacket. I paid $90.00 on Ebay. I am 6'4'/225 not a long torso but long legs and this size is 2xxl and it fits just right. The BMW jkts are $450-600 ! Crazy !

I'm with Balogna what are you wearing underneath with mine jeans are too bulky bike shorts,hiking pants,dress pants work much better when it's cold just long johns work great.

I went back to using the bib and a lot of the binding is significantly reduced. I plan to try the suspenders that Riderwearhouse sells because they should be even less bulky than the bib.

I've learned not to wear jeans on a bike at all --too tight and too many seams. I usually wear lightweight chinos or something similar, fairly loose with smooth surface fabric and flat seams.

AdventurePoser

Jon,

Also try the supplex pants they sell with the zip off legs. These are perfect under the Stich, especially in hot weather.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived