IGNORED

what's the best way to get tunes??

stanhope

I just got an 07 r1200rt after MANY miles on a flying brick and am thoroughly impressed!!!

My question: How can I best get an ipod or possbly xm radio to my helmet? I do have the bmw nav III on the bike. I understand you can use the BT to connect a phone, but I really don't need that, just tunes! Can I connect through the nav? Please help, and thanks in advance for your advise.

iPod or other MP3 player in jacket pocket,Arizona Al or Etymotic in ear speakers and you are good to go.

Get a remote for the iPod if you don't want to have to fiddle with the settings.

This way you are not tied to the bike in any way,so it's easy to hop off for gas,rest stops,etc.

Can't get XM thru your Nav,it was built in an era before the XM/Sirius merger

and BMW had tie in's with Sirius at the time.

If you want it,you need a separate receiver unit.

There are a bunch of threads on tying all the electronics together using Autocom,Mixit,Starcom,Baehr units.

JR356

Which nav do you have? The Zumo 550 can accept XM, and now the BMW version of the 550 also can accept XM, with a firmware update (previously, BMW was tied to Sirius, and therefore the XM capability was deleted from the BMW version of the Garmin firmware).

ArthurKnowles

There are many ways to get the iPod, iPhone, or iTouch to send tunes via BT to your helmet's BT speakers (if you have them). They have dongles that will do it. Just clip in the charging jack. Or some clip in the 3.5 mm head set adapter.

For myself, I have an iPhone 3g. Any iPhone or iTouch cna be upgrade with the 3.0 OS and will supply stereo BT to your headset. I'm using a beta version of the OS now that does that. Works great. The retail versiuon will be out in a couple of months if not sooner.

ArthurKnowles

You have to be a member of the development team. Cost $99 a year. Just go to the Apple iPhone site and look for the developer links. You also need a Mac. Can't use the tools any other way.

Thats why I mentioned it wil be available publically in a few months if not sooner.

questrider

I'm on an extended 18-day trip right now and I use an iPod in my right-breast jacket pocket with Etymotic in-ear foam headphones/earplugs. I've been using this setup for over three years and it's again been working excellent this whole trip. Anytime a song comes on that I don't want to listen to I just click Next with my left hand. Viola!

I think the Etymotic E6 are the best sounding way to get tunes to your helmet.

The problem I have with them is when I need to adjust them...it is a tough thing to do with your helmet on. In short...they are great but sometimes I just don't want anything IN my ear.

Bluetooth was what I had aimed for but from what I have read and learned from these sites...volume is low and battery life is iffy. I wanted something for my 550 GPS that would pipe music to my helmet when I wanted it and last long enough for the GPS to be able to give voice commands when I NEEDED them.

Ended up with some helmet speakers with an amp from my GPS.

Still not the IDEAL setup....as it is wired, but works for me until something better comes along.

Currently, I hook up my iPod with my Scala Rider Q2 via the 3.5mm connection. If I use the iPod bluetooth, would I be able to connect it with my Scala Rider and the phone at the same time? Anybody using this set up?

Not sure if this fits your needs and I can't speak for the BT quality, but something to consider. I've been using J and M products for years and have been happy with them.

www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

The person who comes up with cordless in-ear speakers as good and small as the ER6is, and that connect with other devices via BT or another good technology, might just deserve to be richer than Bill Gates, IMO.

Archived