IGNORED

07 RT tankbag??

stanhope

What's the best tank bag for an 07 1200 RT? I would rather not pay $345 for the bmw one. Is it really that much better than others?? Any that have an easy attach/detach to the rails?

Thanks,

Rod

Like everything BMW its expensive but works really fine. You take it off in a second and put it back as quickly. To me it was worth the $$.

They are a nice fit to the RT. If you have the time, keep your eye open for a used one, they show up in the classified section every so often.

Rod,

Also do a search on tank bags and you'll find (at least) several extensive threads where numerous members logged in on their favorites for the RT. You'll find lots of info there.

I put a Bags Connection on mine . . . the BMW bag was larger than I need, blocked the air and rubbed against the front of my textile jacket.

For smaller, easy on/off options, I liked the Touratech Linky

and Bags Connection Daypack II Linky

Neither use the slick BMW mounting system. Some of the Bags Connection bags are too wide at the front and will interfere with the handlebars at full lock. I really like my Daypack II, it is a perfect size for me.

I was going to order the Touratech, but it was out of stock at the time I wanted a new tank bag. I found Bags Connection at my local shop.

Good luck searching for options.

They are a nice fit to the RT. If you have the time, keep your eye open for a used one, they show up in the classified section every so often.

As one whose BMW tank bag did show up in the classifieds section, all I can say is that if you will want to lean forward in your riding, the BMW tank bag will not let you. It attaches very far back, and then projects towards you even more. You have to ride in sit up and beg position. It is otherwise a very nice thing, roomy, and well made.

I saw my wife's (Bullett's) Daypack II and went out and got myself one too. If you don't mind the mounting ring around the gas filler lid, it's a good deal for a small bag. It comes on and off just as easy as the BMW model. The mounting ring sits down below the tank rails, so is relatively unobtrusive.

. . . all I can say is that if you will want to lean forward in your riding, the BMW tank bag will not let you. It attaches very far back, and then projects towards you even more. You have to ride in sit up and beg position.

I guess I can't argue with that although I haven't had to alter my riding position because of it. I use MYRP pretty much always and it's not intrusive in that regard. Definitely interferes with reaching forward for things like GPS access.

What I'm waiting to see though, is the first person using the bag in its expanded configuration. I unzipped mine once just to make sure the zipper worked but, unless I installed a Beer Meister, I don't think I'll ever need that. :grin:

Thanks all, good info!

Did you say you found the Daypack II in a local shop in the states?

I am curious where I can order one without paying crazy shipping from germany.

John Bentall

BMW dealers in the UK advise against fitting the tank-ring mount tank bags. Only because some technically inept folk have been considerably overtightening the screws and thereby distorting the filler neck and causing fuel leaks. BMW will not accept a warranty claim caused in this manner - you have been warned.

Personally I would be perfectly happy with such a mount.

Thanks all, good info!

Try this url: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859

:)

We've had great service from Twisted Throttle on other things, but yes, our local independent BMW specialty shop stocks a full line of these, so we had the luxury of being able to do the touchy feely thing. That was probably why we ended up with them. There are many other good choices available as well.

I'm not familiar with them, but Big Mak is a long time board member and lot folks use his stuff. I've seen some very nice comments on them. The Bags Connection route is just one suggestion. Works for us.

The BMW bag remains very popular. We sold both of ours in less than 12 hours for the asking price (50% of what we paid). I think a lot depends on your build, and how you ride. For us it was good riddance, for the recipient it was yippee! YMMV.

Fightingpiper

What I'm waiting to see though, is the first person using the bag in its expanded configuration. I unzipped mine once just to make sure the zipper worked but, unless I installed a Beer Meister, I don't think I'll ever need that. :grin:

When I am on trips I expand my bag. I have electified my bag to be able to charge things via a inverter and direct 12volt. I also keep a large water bottle with drinking tube, gloves, camera,tripod, netbook, and various other stuff which requires an expanded tank bag. I am 6'3 so the bag doesn't get in the way as it may for someone who is vertically challenged.

. . . all I can say is that if you will want to lean forward in your riding, the BMW tank bag will not let you. It attaches very far back, and then projects towards you even more. You have to ride in sit up and beg position.

I guess I can't argue with that although I haven't had to alter my riding position because of it. I use MYRP pretty much always and it's not intrusive in that regard.

Ditto. I like the BMW bag very much and have not found that it interferes with anything, either riding position, or access to things like GPS (mine is mounted atop the clutch resevoir cover).

Thanks all, good info!

You could give these guys a jingle as well

Motorcycle RandR

When I am on trips I expand my bag. I have electified my bag to be able to charge things via a inverter and direct 12volt. I also keep a large water bottle with drinking tube, gloves, camera,tripod, netbook, and various other stuff which requires an expanded tank bag. I am 6'3 so the bag doesn't get in the way as it may for someone who is vertically challenged.

Hey, you talkin' about me? The top of the unexpanded bag hit me just above chest height--made me feel claustrophobic. (this is with the low seat, BTW) :grin:

Edit: Hey, you can see it in my avatar picture.

I'm 6"4 with a 40" waist designed to accommodate many beers. I can easily rub the bag, especially when I lean forward when entering twisties.

AdventurePoser

Why don't you wait and buy a used RT Tank bag? They come up for sale all the time in Classifieds. I got mine, like new for $225.

Just food for thought...

Steve in So Cal

well worth getting the bmw tankbag for the r1200rt good capasity extended and totally waterproof as well with the inner lining . fitted easily and taken off in seconds .good build and quality

garlee 08r1200rtse

Archived