IGNORED

Russell Day long pics

tcshooter

Does anyone have any pics of a RDL on a K1300GT or a K1200GT 06+. I have just got my K1300GT and have a build date for my Russell, but would like to see some pics so I can figure out whether to get the half moon or rectangle pattern. Also am trying to figure out the color combos.

Here is my half-moon:

Russell_K-GT.jpg

And here is an example of the rectangular pattern (from the Russell website):

BMW_K1200GT2_2.jpg

AdventurePoser

Both are nice designs, but neither will matter since your butt will be on the seat....

Steve in So Cal

Russell will tell you that there's no difference, that it's just a cover. However, we've had a few members who tried the half moon and hated it. Not so with the rectangular pattern, which has been a Russell trademark for years.

Just an FYI. Your call.

Poster: EffBee

Subject: Re: Russell Day long pics

Russell will tell you that there's no difference, that it's just a cover. However, we've had a few members who tried the half moon and hated it. Not so with the rectangular pattern, which has been a Russell trademark for years.

Any pics of the rectangular pattern seat?

Does anyone have any pics of a RDL on a K1300GT or a K1200GT 06+. I have just got my K1300GT and have a build date for my Russell, but would like to see some pics so I can figure out whether to get the half moon or rectangle pattern. Also am trying to figure out the color combos.

Here's a thread on my R1200RT Russell upgrade with pics.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30415&Number=328562

Hated the half moon because of look, comfort, some other functionality? I have it on my RT, which I'm happy with. I've got a ride in on Aug 12 for my HD, and am planning to do the same. This could be very timely information.

I own two Russell half-moon seats and have ridden on a couple of traditional rectangular patterns and I do think that there is a difference. The half-moons have a somewhat firmer feel and a more defined 'pocket' and the rectangular versions seemed softer and closer to the 'riding on a cloud' traditional Russell feel. I'm not sure that I would say that one is better than the other as that would be a subjective thing. I think the firmness of the half-moon provides a better connection to the bike during spirited riding while the rectangular may be the optimal choice for ten-hour days. Mostly a matter of preference and I don't know why either wouldn't be perfectly suitable if built properly for a given rider, but then again there's nothing as subjective as seat comfort. I know that Bob didn't like his half-moon (or the Russell seat at all for that matter) but I'm not aware of any other examples of the half-moon causing a problem, although again it does tend to have a more sporty than pillow-like feel so if you're expecting one and get the other instead then there might be a disconnect. I know I do strongly prefer the appearance of the half-moon over the retro 70's rectangular or diamond patterns (especially with BMW's current styling trend), but I'd also be the first to agree that comfort should be the overriding consideration. I would say that if you like the seating feel in German sedans, i.e. somewhat firm compared to the traditional luxury seating one might find in American cars then you should like the half-moon. If you don't like firm seats and prefer the 'I don't even know it's there' feel then you may prefer the rectangular (and I have to say that Russell does the latter better than anyone else out there.)

Take that for what it's worth since my sample size is limited to two half-moons and two rectangulars, but those are my impressions. The two half-moons were built within the last few years and the rectangles were of an older vintage so that could also account for some differences as I hear that Russell is using somewhat firmer multi-density foam these days.

With that deep pocket,it looks from the pics that the rider would be moved closer to the bars than the stock seat. (I'm looking at the point where the seat begins to rise towards the back of the flat part.)

Is that the case? Do you find your reach identical to the stock seat?

Does the wider seat spread your legs out more, changing your ability to flat foot at stops?

With that deep pocket,it looks from the pics that the rider would be moved closer to the bars than the stock seat. (I'm looking at the point where the seat begins to rise towards the back of the flat part.)

Is that the case? Do you find your reach identical to the stock seat?

Does the wider seat spread your legs out more, changing your ability to flat foot at stops?

The Russell seat actually moves me back a bit, maybe too far (although it was not built for me, perhaps for someone taller.) If I lowered the bars a bit it would probably be perfect, but I don't want lower bars.

Russell seats (actually most aftermarket seats) are wider than stock so they do tend to spread your legs out more at stops, making the seat seem taller even if it really isn't. Those of shorter stature can slide forward a bit to the narrow part of the seat upon coming to a stop (a well-known Russell maneuver) and this helps.

Russell on Kathy's 1150RT.......Seats are very individual and personal but after a BMW "Comfort" seat and two other major aftermarket seats we did a ride in to Russell last September...She really likes this one.... :grin::thumbsup:

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Poster: krussell

Originally Posted By: tcshooter

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30415&Number=328562

No pic there?

mistercindy

Anyone have experience with Russell's "Small Squares" pattern? The web site says its better for a cooler ride. As I'm in north Texas that's what I'm considering. A pic of the "Small Squares" pattern from Russell's site:

smallSquare_pattern.jpg

I've got a ride in appt to get a RDL on my HD next Tuesday. I was out in September but they had a cancellation so I caught a break. I'm seriously considering the small squares. I have the half moon on my RT, just want something different mostly, and the look of the small squares is growing on me. It's also not something you see every day.

Regarding the cool temperature aspect: I always wear riding pants, I wonder if I will notice any difference.

While I am in Oregon, I always care a rain cover for the seat, and put it on when it rains. As a result, the additional holes for water aren't a huge concern.

I went leather on the RT, I'm thinking vinyl on the RT, mostly with the theory that is less slippery.

No pic there?

Hmmm. I click the link and there are all my pics. I wonder if it is something about my URL and that they are my pics? Can anyone else click the link and see the photos?

Hmmm. I click the link and there are all my pics. I wonder if it is something about my URL and that they are my pics? Can anyone else click the link and see the photos?

Works fine for me.

In response to:

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Quote:

No pic there?

It worked fine today?

I have the small squares. I usually wear riding pants, so I don't think that I can appreciate any cooling effect.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my RDL for a couple of months now and I think I'm going to send it back for tweaking. It didn't take me long to realize that I had to scoot way forward of the bolsters to get my feet fully down but I'm still not making good contact with the ground. The add'l height has acted to negate the effects of both the handlebar extensions and, to a lesser degree, the bigger windshield. No comparison with OEM as far as riding comfort though.

The add'l height has acted to negate the effects of both the handlebar extensions and, to a lesser degree, the bigger windshield. No comparison with OEM as far as riding comfort though.

Being very satisfied with the RDL on my RT, I did a ride in a couple of weeks ago and had my Electra Glide done. It's awesome comfort wise. Unfortunately, it put me high enough to be in very turbulent air, so I'm going need to buy another Cee Bailey to get it right. If you are considering the RDL, I'd recommend doing the seat first, then doing the windshield, peg lowers, etc. second.

Archived