IGNORED

Helmet venting and noise reduction

Francis

I was out today wearing my Schuberth S-1 helmet and it was hot inside the lid. The noise reduction is very good all buttoned up but it is hot in there. What(which) helmets have very good noise reduction and also very good ventilation?

Francis

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm currently using a Scorpion EXO 1000. The venting is very good, as is the little shield lock which cracks the face shield about 1/4" at the expense of a little more noise at 80+. My Shoei X-11 was the quietest helmet I ever had. It also vented pretty well.

I either have ear plugs or my ER6i plugs in every time I ride though so noise is not really an issue for me. Another big factor is the bike you ride with its windscreen configuration and how the wind comes off your shoulders. A helmet that is quiet for me on my Sprint may not work on your RT. Both the helmets I mentioned above are fine on the Sprint at any speed with my Triumph Sympatex jacket. If I want to wear my Joe Rocket mesh, I have to remove the shoulder pads (not a good idea) to stand the racket.

Poster: Francis

Subject: Re: Helmet venting and noise reduction

I was out today wearing my Schuberth S-1 helmet and it was hot inside the lid. The noise reduction is very good all buttoned up but it is hot in there. What(which) helmets have very good noise reduction and also very good ventilation?

I have a Shoei Multitech which has pretty good venting. I can control the noise level by adjusting windscreen. I try to get the windshield at the height that reduces the turbulence around my helmet, but still allows me to look over it.

I like the Multitech, it is very comfortable. My previous helmet was a Arai Quantum E.

I have had an HJC flip up (noisy/Good venting), Shoei R1000 (less noise the HJC flip up/Good venting), Full face HJC (ok noise/ok vent)

Presently using a SHOEI Synchrotec - my second one. Noise is low-moderate, but also greatly impacted by the windshield adjustment. Venting is reasonable. Recently tried on a multi-tec and since the padding inside is different, I suspect it would be cooler, but can't comment on noise level for that one.

I think Ken's advice is spot on...generally speaking, good ventilation requires air flow; more air flow in and around the helmet area typically means more noise. FWIW, I've ridden with a Arai Signet GT for several years...awesome fit, good venting, but a LOT of noise. (In the winter, I've actually taped up the forward scoop vents to reduce the noise levels.)

(Good, custom earplugs mean FAR less noise/fatigue. :thumbsup: )

mistercindy

Ken and Trinity are both right:

• As a general rule, better ventilation means more noise.
  • Ear plugs are the answer.

I wear a Shoei X-11 which ventilates quite a bit better than Shoei's RF series of helmets that I'd worn for many years. The X-11 is also a bit noisier because it has more air whistling through. But its a non-issue for me since I wear earplugs.

BTW, I wear earplugs to save my hearing. The problem is the sound of rushing air. And its worse if you wear a full faced helmet because of the air's tendency to whistle through your helmet. If I'm going to be on the highway longer than a few minutes I put them on. They have the added benefit of reducing fatigue on longer rides. But as far as this thread concerned, the biggest earplug benefit is that you really don't care about the relative noisiness of your helmet.

Archived