IGNORED

System 6

ncosh

They have them in Canada, a. But they won't sell them to a non Canadian. I think they are still P.O.ed about us kicking the brits out a while back being that Canada is where all the loyalist were exiled to. :rofl:

They have them in Canada, but they won't sell them to a non Canadian.

Yes, but at CA$850 - CA$900! Ouch!

I've always heard there is some sanfu with BMW not able to get them approved for sale in the USA.

My local (Edmonton, AB) dealer has a sign up near them that they are "Not approved for USA - Buy/use at your own risk." Which is not to say they wouldn't sell a US based person one though.

I am going to be in Denmark in a few weeks and am excited to get a look at the System 6 over there. I have had 2 System 5s. Oddly, the first one I had was the most comfy and quiet helmet I've ever had, but the same-sized replacement fits horribly and consequently was noisy.

It is my guess that BMW doesn't even try to get their helmets DOT certified because they don't want to deal with the DOT and don't want to be exposed to the hyper-litigious US consumer.

Does anyone know the legality of a Canadian riding into the U.S. with a non-DOT approved BMW helmet?

It's technically not legal. Helmets for use in the USA must be DOT approved. (In states that have helmet laws.)

Now that being said, we're also talking about the land where fake white oval "DOT" stickers to slap on most anything that will go on a head, to get around the helmet laws, are sold for $2 in most any bike shop.

Ken thanks for the info. Seen them in different ads and articles and really like the looks and the fact that they are bluetooth ready. One would think they would do well in the US market if they ever work out the issue.

Story I've heard is it isn't that BMW can't get them approved, but rather chooses not to market them here due to potential liablity law suits in the event of an actual usage (read: crash), and therefore wont spend the money to have them certified.

Also heard that slapping that sticker on may allow your friendly insurance company to void your coverage in the event crash.

• 7 months later...

In states with no helmet law its irrelevant anyway. A non DOT approved or Snell Approved helmet worn by a rider in a no helmet law state gets more protection than his/her helmetless brothers and sisters

Story I've heard is it isn't that BMW can't get them approved, but rather chooses not to market them here due to potential liablity law suits in the event of an actual usage (read: crash), and therefore wont spend the money to have them certified.

Also heard that slapping that sticker on may allow your friendly insurance company to void your coverage in the event crash.

BMW do not manufacture helmets - Schuberth manufacture them for BMW. If one wants a System 6 one could also consider the identical Schuberth C3. BMW choose to let Schuberth deal with the extra-European homologation/certification issues around the world.

From the washington state law:

"Legal helmets are designed to save lives while others are sold as novelty items only and never intended to be used on the road. In a collision, these "novelty" helmets provide almost no protection for the rider. Unfortunately, some people are confused about what helmets are legal and safe to wear."

Obviously, the DOT clause is intended to eliminate unsafe toy helmets, not european certified real gear. I have been wearing my german Schuberth Concept for longer than I care to admit and have never had a problemm in several traffic stops. The assumption that a non-DOT helmet is inherently unsafe is faulty.

Certainly selling non-DOT certified helmets would be risky from a liability standpoint for a business - but I woulldn't hesitate to buy a helmet in Canada or Europe and wear it in the US.

They have them in Canada, a. But they won't sell them to a non Canadian. I think they are still P.O.ed about us kicking the brits out a while back being that Canada is where all the loyalist were exiled to. :rofl:

I was in Canada last summer and they would have sold me one. Tried them on at the dealer in Calgary, a huge place, just didn't have the right size. I would have happily crossed the border back to the US with my non-DOT helmet. I assure you the helmet police were not at the border. Going back this summer and I'm going to try again.

Archived