IGNORED

Brake Bleed

rickmoen

I just completed a brake bleed on my '05 R1200RT. J Von B's DVD gave me the confidence to attempt this job on my own. Took me a while (over 4 hours, but I'd come in and watch the DVD before each part), but went well. Installed Speed Bleeders on the wheel cylinders and used the Speed Bleeder bag to collect the old brake fluid. The old fluid had the color of beer. I know that BMW recommends that wheel cylinder circuits be bled every 2 years and control circuits be bled every 4 years (or is it the other way around?). My question is why? I don't notice an increase in stopping power - it was good before the work was done. I'm not a real aggressive rider, so maybe it won't show until the bike is pushed very hard. I'm not aware of other brands of motorcycles that require brake bleeds this often, but I don't follow their maintenance either. Thanks in advance for the info.

Unless there were air in the lines or a mechanical problem with the system seems to me that that the brakes would feel the same as before the bleed.....Did you notice any air bubbles particularly when you first cracked the bleeders?

No, there were no air bubbles that came out when the bleeders were first opened. I'm just curious about the need to bleed every few years.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and that moisture harms the metal and rubber parts of the system.......Not sure if heat changes the fluid or not but it darkens up with time and is contaminated....One of the engineers or techs here can give you a better rundown........

Thank you SAAB93driver. The article you referenced was exactly what I was looking for. I'll change brake fluid more frequently than I have before.

Archived