IGNORED

But..which Bosch oil filter ??

Starfighter

Starfighter

To start with we have to agree that both BMW and Beemer Bonyard sell one Bosch part number for both the LT and the Oilheads.

(at Beemer Boneyard it's Bosch 72161)

Now......on the LT site the folks are using Bosch 72161 filter.

On this site folks talk about using 3330 Bosch filter.

So if either one will fit either bike, what's the difference ?

Both say premium on the package.

I called Bosch. The oil filter "expert" says they have different threads but he couldn't make a recommendation because Bosch does not recommend motorcycle applications. After talking to him, I did some research and his statement is probably not correct because Bosch recommends both for some Ford applications but does no describe the difference.

I'm really sorry for another oil filter thread but.... I really want to know.

Info from the net...

Bosch 3330 (flaking black paint)

Bosch 72161 (nice gloss black paint.)

I use 72161 by the way.

Enjoy your day! :wave:

Info from the net...

Bosch 3330 (flaking black paint)

Bosch 72161 (nice gloss black paint.)

I use 72161 by the way.

Enjoy your day! :wave:

To clarify, the oil filter is located inside the crankcase on brick motors. So flaky paint would be a no no.

SAAB93driver

German made Mann Hummel W712/38 is a filter for turbo Saabs, it crosses to the AC PF53 used on Saabs as well as Saturns and some others. I have several left over from my '02 Saab which I no longer own so I use them my R1150RS.

They can be had for about $5-$6 each online.

Starfighter

yes

Thanx to all

I've been using the 72161 on both my K1200LT and R1150RT

I just do not understand Bosch making two oil filters for the same application and no difference specified....except flake or no-flake paint,.....and it appears that the flakey paint version, 3330 is more expensive.

yes

Thanx to all

I've been using the 72161 on both my K1200LT and R1150RT

I just do not understand Bosch making two oil filters for the same application and no difference specified....except flake or no-flake paint,.....and it appears that the flakey paint version, 3330 is more expensive.

It may have a more expensive filter media for some application or other. But it is a mystery why they would bother with the flaky paint, when they clearly know how to apply paint that stays put.

Starfighter

guess I'll just stick w/ the 72161 for both bikes.

I kind of got stuck on that subject as I hate unsolved mysteries...

I'll get a Corona out of the fridge and mellow....................

I'll get a Corona out of the fridge and mellow....................

Now will that be a Corona Extra or a Corona Light? :rofl:

I'm not sure if Bosch filter buyers think they are getting a German-made filter, but if they are, they might be surprised to learn that Bosch-branded filters sold in the US are made in the US by Champion. They also make AC-Delco, STP, and K&N.

Not that it matters much -- they will all filter the oil adequately, I'm sure.

Archived