IGNORED

New 2009 R1200RT and wind handling Question

BMW Rider 2 Day

BMW Rider 2 Day

I am new here but do post in the sport-touring.net website.

I have a new 2009 R1200RT I bought April 30th here in PA and it handles the trucker wake and the 5-10 mph wind I have seen with it like crap. This is completely opposite of my test ride which the 08 bike didn't move at all in a 20-25 mph cross wind.

Let me explain I was passed the other day by an 18 wheeler going 75 or more and was almost blown off the road. I was doing about 70 maybe less. I then slowed to 60-65 on Route 80 and everytime I was passed by another 18 wheeler or a SUV I had trouble keeping my bike in its lane. When I was behind the trucks & SUVs my BMW was blown side to side even with me back one to two 18 wheeler lengths. My brothers 2006 Kawi 650R with the fork tubes lower than normal does this same thing. When my Connie had the fork springs changed out and too long a spcer put in it did this same thing. I messed with the ESA and tried all of the settings with no change.

I bought this bike with the idea of commuting to work the 50 miles there and the 50 miles back but this seriously puts a damper on my plans if I don't feel safe riding it on the highway.

As it stands now my 2006 Concours (old school style) handled better in the wind than this BMW does. I just can't believe it.

I am 230 with my gear on and ride with maybe 10lbs of stuff in the side cases evenly divided between the two.

I really like the bike other than this problem. It is light feeling. I can move around in parking lots easy. It is getting me 49 mpg, it handles the backroads nicely, and the suspension works on the backroads pretty well. Although if I set it too soft the bike squats the rear when I gas it.

My dealer will take it for a test ride when I get a chance to bring it in. But I am hoping soemone here had this problem or knows what I can check before hand. Time is money you know.

I also want to know what tire pressures you are riding with on you Roadtec Z6's as my dealer has me running mine at 40 front and rear because of all BMW bikes having soft (cast) rims. My owners manual claims 32 frt and 36 rear with one up riding I think. Whos right? I am buying a tire road hazard warranty that covers tires and rims so I don't get this advice from him.

Have any of you with an 08 or 09 that have ridden with a Pilot Road (On my test bike) and have ridden with the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (On my 09) noticed a big change for the worse in this problem? Are there arrows on these tires that show the rotation or position? What direction should they face? I am hoping a tire change will help this problem but what are my options to find a more stable tire not a more sporty tire (Quicker handling tire)? Are there any options besides the unhelpful answers of live with it?

So far on the other website my post was met with the advice I move back from trucks and they all do this. The problems is it happens with almost all vehicles now and for awhile I don't remember it doing it on anything but the truckers and SUVs.

I looked up trucker wake and windy plus R1200RT and got posts that did not have anything in them that was even close.

Thanks for your help.

Tire pressures I run are 36-38 front and 42 rear.

Hate to say, but others new to the RT have complained about this "problem" too. My suggestion is that you are hanging on too tight and this forces the bike to move around in the wind. Try a very light grip on the bars and see what happens.

I truly don't think the tires will make very much difference. I have tried Pilot roads, Contis, and now the Dunlop Roadsmarts and never noticed any real difference in straight line handling. The tires do make a big difference in cornering etc.

One other thing... check your rear shock preload and damping adjustment. You mention that you are 230, so I would set up the preload and damping towards the "high" side which will transfer more weight to the front of the bike.

Good Luck

First post here, and I have the same bike.

As suggested, the key to riding a straight line, with or without a cross wind, is a relaxed grip on the bars with bent elbows. If you have a death grip, it's almost impossible to track straight, even on a calm day. In a cross wind situation, you might try a light fingertip grip on the bars or even just a light one hand grip. This can show you that the bike naturally wants to track straight and that tense steering inputs can contribute to cross wind weaving.

Also, there is a critical distance behind large vehicles where the air displaced by the passing vehicle closes back in behind it. This is a very turbulent spot, and it can be surprisingly far back, like a couple of seconds. If you're getting a lot of buffeting from a leading truck or SUV, drop back a little more.

As you suggested, you might try adjusting suspension settings and tire pressures, to see if that helps, and I suppose it's possible that there is something wrong with your bike, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of getting used to it.

to OP

my 2004RT was like that when new....actually i was the problem not the RT. i think some experience with the moto will help tremendously. i've always run between 40-42 front and rear on z-6's.

getting back to the issue i can feel vehicle "wakes" but there are no handling problems. also, don't ride behind them if possible..get by and say bye, keep the hammer down.

AdventurePoser

Welcome Boxtop to the DB! To chime in, I think your advice is spot on. Most wind issues with the RT are, IMHO, "rider induced." An easier, relaxed grip, and not fighting the movement of the bike as it bobs around are key to better wind handling. In other words, let it bob and duck around a little bit. To actually be "blown off the road" would require a wind event that we prolly wouldn't ride in... :)

I live where it blows like stink about four months of the year, and keeping it relaxed has really improved my riding technique. Also, seek out wind and practice in it...

When the Santa Ana's blow (a local So Cal wind event) I go out and play in it. When the wind is roaring through the canyons you learn alot about how relaxation keeps the bike going where you want it to. :dopeslap: Sometimes just being more familiar with what the wind will do to the bike makes riding less vexing.

Of course, YMMV!

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Allen Rowand

I had the same experience as the OP; my first highway ride was on I84 in NY, and I thought the wind was going to take me off the road. I started plotting different ways to work that didn't involve the highway (which led me to some nice backroads that add 30 minutes to my commute). That was a few months ago and I've gotten some miles in, including a 4 hour ride in a torrential downpour.

Now, the same conditions don't bother me. I know what the bike wants to do and I'm more relaxed. If it's nice I'll take the scenic routes, but if I'm in a hurry I hit the highway and the wind doesn't seem so bad. Give it some time; you'll settle in!

Best,

Allen

What you are feeling is not 09 specific, and there is very likely have nothing wrong with your bike.

Over time you learn to ignore it, relax your grip, etc.

The RT wind envelope is very nice in still air. In turbulent air it's not as 'nice' as other bikes.

I think 40lbs in the front will contribute to the unsettled feeling. I run 36/40, even though I'm 300lbs.

Keep riding, you'll not notice it as much.

On question, what did you ride prior to the RT? I'll say this, while wind does not bother me on the RT as it did when I first got it, I don't 'feel' the wind nearly as much on my HD. This is subjective of course. I think the RT has more sail in a crosswind, I am much high on the RT in a crosswind, and I have a few less hundred lbs of ballast on the RT. But this is all 'feel', I don't believe for a second that I'm going to get blown off the road on either bike.

I run 38F/42R and I weigh 165 lbs. I've had a variety of tires, including Z6s, on my RT. I now run Pilot Road 2s. Can't say I noticed much difference in the wind and I've ridden across the plains on the interstate with on some really windy days. I can't add anything else except to underscore the lose-grip-on-the-bars mantra. I'd be surprised if more time on the bike didn't fix the issue.

BMW Rider 2 Day

I did loosen my grip on the bars after the truck went by. I have been trying to loosen my death grip and my locked arms just by pulling my elbows in.

My last two bikes I got rid of just to get this one. I had a 2004 CBR1000rr and a 2006 Kawisaki Concours. So I know how important a light grip is or my hands would go numb from the vibes.

It is very difficult to drop back since most truckers here are actually going 5mph + or - of the speed limit. With a few crazy nuts on the road. For me to stay back I would have to constantly drive under the speed limit. But the traffic is not heavy and not light but constant which makes it difficult to try to hold back from vehicles bothering me. Since it is 3 and sometimes 4 lanes of taffic on Route 80 in NJ I can't see the constant lane shifting to avoid other traffic as a viable option. I will have the dealer test it out and I will give it time but I don't feel it was this bad when I first started riding my R1200RT. So I am thinking something may have happened. Maybe something loosened or maybe the rear end is loose or bad.

I think your front tire has to much air pressure.

I used to run high pressure on my R1100RT (103K miles), but when I switched to the R1200RT (39K miles), high pressure feels very strange.

Lower your air pressure to the factory recommended pressure the dealer says.

I have no idea why all the dealers are recommending these high pressures, the tires do not last any longer. I think the factory knows best.

BMW Rider 2 Day

My dealer was the one that recommended 40 psi because of supposed soft rims.

I will drop the tire pressure for now and see if that helps me tomorrow during my commute. If not it will go in to the dealer on sat the 27th for a test ride.

I also ride a 08 RT. Had a 06 before.

Lower tire pressure to 36 psi, lower windscreen, adjust preload to rider + luggage. I weigh 230 also and have no problem with handling in high winds except really strong side winds such as what we had here in Eastern Canada during the entire month of May.

But that is exceptional.

I have a ’08 that also likes to dance. You will get used to it.

Tucking in behind the screen will help if you are passing a long line of trucks. A few weeks ago I rode across the bottom of Minnesota on I90 and had to hold a tuck, for hours, due to the cross winds. She still danced but at least it was bearable.

I find the top box, especially without a passenger, really causes the most disconcerting effect from the trucks. Any chance you are running with an empty top box?

When touring solo I add a kayak dry bag in front of the top box and it really does cut down on the buffeting. I find it interesting that trucks, SUVs, vans and American cars really rattle me around. Import cars not so much. Livestock hauling trailers are the most problematic. I assume it’s all the ventilation holes that really cause the unstable air which the bike must move though.

Besides all that, the occasional wind slap to the helmet seems to help keep me alert on the long runs! Kinda fun when you get that split second of silence and you know the slap is coming. Just not from what direction!

If you really want some excitement find a long open grate bridge deck when it’s windy. I nearly had to change underwear after crossing the Mackinac last year!

You will get used to it though since it produces the exact same effect every time. Once you get settled into that motion being predictable and normal you will find it bearable.

BMW Rider 2 Day

No top box just the side cases. Am looking for a tank bag and maybe a rear duffel or waterproof suitcase. At least until I can afford a $500 top case.

Beemer_Nancy

I have an '09 and have been impressed by good handling in wicked wind. Then again, I don't get passed by trucks.

I run 36-38 in front and 38-40 in back.

BMW Rider 2 Day

I switched to 36 front and 37.5 rear. It was suppose dto be rear at 38 but my digital gauge is touchy.

Seemed to make some difference on the ride to work. But I still move around a lot.

Maybe I will get used to it but I still hope it is just that I am not used to the tire profile. Since my connie had squared off tire profiles I was finally rounding them off again.

Maybe a different tire profile would feel better for me?

The big news is I was riding past several truckers and while I moved some I was not pushed anywhere near the next lane. I was able to stay centered without too much trouble.

This is not a Z6 or Tourance wobble and I checked the rear drive (It was OK), the tires both match directions with someone else here at work, and I didn't find anything weird with the headset either.

Maybe now that I have 1338 miles on my tires they are broken in and they feel weird to me but fine to everyone else.

I say stop letting the trucks pass you. You won't have to worry about their turbulence if you're in front of them!

FWIW, I've had my '04 RT in 50+ MPH winds. It wasn't fun, but the bike got me home. TRUST your bike.

Paul In Australia

I think if it is as big a deal as you seem to feel it is, it must be more than just "tension" on your part. I think I would go back to the dealer immeadiately, not next week. You might have something dangerous occurring, but if not at least you will know the answer for sure.

The RT does have some wind issues, but nothing like what you are talking about. All the other posts here are 100% correct for a bit of wind movement, but not to the extent you have described.

Mine is fantastic in the wind, but it is my second RT and a lot of miles. I think your problem has all the makings of a mechanical issue.

Hope it disappears soon.

best regards

I'd have the bike checked for alignment, bent wheels, etc.. I've ridden my RT on the road for almost 90K now and it handles the winds out west (kansas-eastern colorado-nebraska just fine... the RT is by far much better in cross winds then the 1200R I have without a fairing.

I had the same issue with my '05 when I first got it...and I too went from a '04 Concours to the RT.

The first time I rode the bike was in March '06 at Daytona after trailering it from Canada. Pulled out on the freeway with a couple of friends and after about 20 minutes they were laughing so hard at my weaving around they nearly went off the road.

I was freaking out. Now I have been riding bikes since 1966 so the 'loosen up' lecture was not required, I thought there was something seriously wrong with my new bike. All possible parameters were checked and re-checked in the following days. I even went into Daytona BMW to talk to them about it. They hadn't heard of the problem before, but, ( important clue here...) they hadn't delivered a bike with the Z6's mounted from the factory, they had all been Dunlop's.

Soooo, after I got home I contacted BMW Canada and spoke to a customer service type who said he was really sorry to hear about my problem but had no advice other than to check the tire pressure. Gee thanks.

I tried different windshields, different configurations with side bags, top case, etc., but as the summer wore on I found it was becoming less and less of a problem. Until...on a trip to the Maritimes I got up one morning and discovered the rear tire was finished. So into Moncton to find a replacement, and by noon I was headed back to my friends home at the shore. As I accelerated onto the 4 lane a strange sensation occurred...my weave was back, big time. Turns out as the tire wore down so did the weave. New tire, renewed weave!

Soon as I got home I installed a set of Avon Storms. Better. Then the following spring I tried Pilot Road 2's. Perfect! Even with the top case the worst wake turbulence only causes the slightest of weaves. No more than any similar bike I have ever had. The only bike that never showed the slightest sign of instability was my GL1800, but it was half again as long and felt twice as heavy, ( in a gravel parking lot anyway ), as the RT.

So for me it was all about the tires. On my third set of PR's now, and I don't dare try anything else. Bonus, they are an excellent tire for my riding style as well!

Jim

I run 38F/42R and I weigh 165 lbs. I've had a variety of tires, including Z6s, on my RT. I now run Pilot Road 2s. Can't say I noticed much difference in the wind and I've ridden across the plains on the interstate with on some really windy days. I can't add anything else except to underscore the lose-grip-on-the-bars mantra. I'd be surprised if more time on the bike didn't fix the issue.

Parallels my experiences as well except that I sometimes lower the rear pressure to 40-41 for around town ... our roads are graveled in the non-m/c season and all of the gravel does not get picked up in a timely manner. Sometimes even an easy pull out / acceleration from a stop will spin the rear at 42 psi, but I don't wnat to go any lower in terms of pressure ... usually 38F/42R

Archived