ully211

Looking for some comparisons of following windshields:

1 - Z-Technik

2 - C-Bailey

3 - California Scientific

Would appreciate thoughts with regards to:

a - wind protection

b - gas mileage

I've ridden with the OEM and Z-Tech on 1200RT and the OEM and C-Bailey Euro on 1150RT. Still not sure the Z-Tech is what I want on my 1200, so am considering another purchase.

Thanks in advance.

AdventurePoser

It's hard not to subjective, because the efficiency of your aftermarket screen will be influenced by lots of factors, such as your heighth, torso and arm length, riding style and personal aesthetics, et, etc....

All that being said, my C Bailey's rocks. It is two inched taller and 3 inches wider and because I am tall still allows a bit of wind over the top with the screen all the way down...Wind protection at "sprightly speed" is excellent, and gas mileage is down from 49 to 46.1 regardless of my riding style...

Of course, YMMV

BMW Rider 2 Day

I thought I heard with the CEE Bailey that the windshield will need heavy duty brackets because it can break the stock brackets. This may have been fixed on the 09 but I am not sure.

I am interested in this topic as well.

The California Scientific shield also has the venting which will help with that vacumn behind the screen and will help eliminate the buffetting of the stock screen.

Cee Bailey is great in the down position, but I think it's a bit distracting if you ride with it just below your line of sight. The curve distorts your vision and takes some getting used to.

Good wind protection though and very quiet.

And yes, I snapped the struts like toothpicks!!!

There's a good thread here for replacements though and it's a pretty easy install.

Good Luck!

I'm 6'1" and REALLY like my CalSci (medium) for the cooler months. Actually, the wind protection is SO effective that I have replaced it with the BMW stock screen to increase air flow for our hot Tejas summers. (There does not seem to be any significant mileage difference in mileage between the two.)

Sorry, but I dont' have any points of comparisons with the other options you mentioned.

We run CeeBailey's with +4" on the width on our 11 R1200RT-P's at work. They routinely get run up to and over 100 mph. We've yet to break a strut.

I've noticed that with the improved air flow design over stock we tend to adjust our windshield heights lower than with the stock design. Anyway, I'm really happy with it and have run one on my personal 1200RT for more than a year also.

Prior to buying my CB, I test rode a VStream. It worked well, but was HUGE. I didn't understand why a windshield needed to be that big, when the CB had the same results with a much reasonably sized windshield.

AdventurePoser
I thought I heard with the CEE Bailey that the windshield will need heavy duty brackets because it can break the stock brackets. This may have been fixed on the 09 but I am not sure.

I am interested in this topic as well.

The California Scientific shield also has the venting which will help with that vacumn behind the screen and will help eliminate the buffetting of the stock screen.

My RT came with a BARN DOOR of a Cee Bailey...I think it's about 6" wider and 4 inches taller. It broke the struts. I think if you want a screen that big you oughta buy an LT or a Goldwing... :)

I've got 10K miles on my new Cee Bailey, and no issues whatsoever!

Cheers,

STeve

That brings up a good point... for anyone considering the CeeBailey... don't add any height when you order your windshield. The shape of the CeeBailey actually raises the airflow over the rider by several inches over the stock windshield just by the improved shape. Adding height to the windshield will just give you a HUGE windshield... in fact it'll probably put the air stream so far above your head you can't lower your shield far enough to get into it on those 100 degree days when you'd like some more air through your helmet.

Poster: swilson

Subject: Re: WINDSHIELDS ON R1200RT

That brings up a good point... for anyone considering the CeeBailey... don't add any height when you order your windshield. The shape of the CeeBailey actually raises the airflow over the rider by several inches over the stock windshield just by the improved shape. Adding height to the windshield will just give you a HUGE windshield... in fact it'll probably put the air stream so far above your head you can't lower your shield far enough to get into it on those 100 degree days when you'd like some more air through your helmet.

So you are saying that a 24.5" (OEM Height) works the best. How about the width? 15.5"?

I'm in no position to say what is "best"... plus, best will be different for ever person. But yeah, I'd say stock height is the way to go. Maybe even consider 1" shorter than stock if you're a short guy.

As far as width, I ordered mine +4" in width. After all the guys at work test rode it, they all liked it too, so all 11 R1200RT-P's at work have CeeBailey's with +4" width and stock height.

The best thing to do is to hook up with someone who's got an aftermarket windshield and swap bike for a few miles so you can develop some opinions of what you do or don't like about the shape/height/width of a particular windshield.

How much wider are the RT-P's shields?

Will probably go +2 on height, but would like a recommendation on width.

my slightly used '08RT has a calsci and i like it. i can see over it marginally well in the low position (its a little bit taller than OEM, and i have the low seat in the low position), when 2 up my wife likes it all the way up as it reduces her buffeting significantly. seems to scratch easily but i think this is the case with all windshields from what i've read. the advice to always use a microfiber cloth for cleaning is probably good advice.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to research the best option for my wife. I like the stock shield, but she finds a bit too much turbulence, particularly now that we have put on the top box and she leans further back. How is the CalSci for the passenger. Also, we do tend to ride in a cooler climate and in all weather. How is it for rain?

Bill

Eric the Blue

I have a CeeBailey +2 height, +1 width on my '09 RT. I'm glad I bought it and only have two complaints: (1) my mpg dropped by 10%. I now get around 42-43 mpg. (2) If it's over about 90 degrees outside, the airpocket behind the windshield is REALLY hot.

Archived