IGNORED

New Tires

Rinkydink

Just put new ME880s on the RT and having never changed both tires at one time the first ride was a bit unnerving to say the least. I had 880s on it before and maybe it was my paranoia of slick new tires but it sure didn't want to lean into turns. I'm leaving for a weekend ride to the Ozarks tomorrow knowing it will get better with more miles but all the same there is some trepidation about the first 100-150 miles or so.

MrHondamatic

After reading all the dreaded new tire posts on here, I was a little gun shy myself this morning. I put new rubber on the Honda last fall with no problems, but it was dry weather.

Last night I mounted up a new Metzler Roadtec Z6 on the rear of the RT. I did fire it up and let it idle in first gear for a couple of minutes, while I held some coarse sandpaper against it, but that was all.

This morning I left before the rain hit, but 15 miles later I was in a frog strangler. I did some weaving on the dry road before I ran into the rain, but nothing too much.

I rode another 25 miles in the rain and never once did I feel a slip. To be fair, I was cautious at first, but later I rode as I normally do in the rain.

Did my scuffing help? Who knows, but I'm sure it didn't hurt either. Right now I have a grand total of 50 miles on the tire and I'm not going to worry about it.

My main complaint was the difference in how the bike seems to not want to lean into turns as well. I'm sure it will get better quickly in my 95+ degree ride in the mountains this weekend.

MrHondamatic

Are you sure it was the tires not wanting to lean, or you subconsiously not wanting to lean on new tires? New tires usualy let you lean easier, since they are still round, side to side.

Just something to think about.

I'd suggest you just relax, and enjoy your ride, but don't get too aggressive for a while until you feel comfortable.

My main complaint was the difference in how the bike seems to not want to lean into turns as well. I'm sure it will get better quickly in my 95+ degree ride in the mountains this weekend.

New tires should lean *much* more readily than older squared-off tires. If you are tense, arms stiff, you are probably fighting your own handlebar inputs. Try relaxing your elbows, drop them down. Don't hold your arms straight. I do this often--easy to do when tense.

AdventurePoser

All good points made above...I believe that ME 880s feel a bit more "clunky" or industrial than, say my usual RoadSmarts. But, that's the trade off for the phenomenal mileage the ME880s make!

I wouldn't worry too much about the slippage issue. You really have to get on them, even when new, to get that loss of traction. Have fun on the new tires.

Steve in So Cal

What a difference 450 miles makes. They felt better after 40-50 actually. I think it was part me being overly cautious and part the tires. All is well in Ozarkville!

Archived