IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 550 power connection question

RiceToy

For those in the know about the Zumo 550 motorcycle base...

Wondering if the base is parasitic drain. Is it better to connect power to a constant-on or ignition-controlled circuit - and why?

If you hook it up switched power the Zumo will automaticly turn on and off and will not draw power when the bike is off.

If you hook it to a constant power it will keep the Zumo charging circuit activated so yes it will draw on the bikes battery.

Good info here: http://www.zumoforums.com/

For those in the know about the Zumo 550 motorcycle base...

Wondering if the base is parasitic drain. Is it better to connect power to a constant-on or ignition-controlled circuit - and why?

I prefer to connect it to a ignition switched circuit. That way I don't have to remember to turn it on and off. If I want it to remain on when the bike is off, I have 30 seconds to press a button to switch to battery power which I do sometimes at a gas stop because the boot up time is so long.

ShovelStrokeEd

So long as you remove both the GXM antenna and the Zumo from the mount there will be no parasitic drain.

I like to keep my Zumo active at gas and lunch stops so the trip timing will remain accurate. I like to track that kind of stuff.

Mine is wired to a constant power source along with my Datel voltmeter. I do remove the Zumo and antenna when stopping overnight, the Datel remains on. No issues with drain on the battery.

The question about switched power vs direct wiring was one of the first long and complicated threads we had over at ZumoForums.

The zumo using population is bifurcated on the subject. Each "side" has its own valid arguments and both sides argue well.

Hard to tell but no one seems to have ever changed their mind.

I am in the switched power camp and happy. Your actual mileage may vary.

p.s. I am moderator emeritus over there and would be happy to help in any way... but please go to the zumoforums.com and do it there- or send a PM. Thanks

Thanks to all! Since I've already connected to constant-on, and it's not a resounding "Don't do it!", I think I'll keep it as-is until I learn otherwise. You know us hard-heads, just can't learn without making the mistake for ourselves.

On a related Zumo mounting note, I do like the position attainable with the bar-hole RAM mount adapter I got from CycleGadgets - highly recommended! (although one could make it themselves with a spacer and longer bolt for next to nothing). The Zumo is now mounted snuggly just to the right and nearly flush with the clutch reservior, which is nice since it won't obstruct the camcorder FOV.

p.s. I'm RiceToy over there too. Just got the Zumo, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions - thanks!

Archived