IGNORED

TROUBLE DOWNLOADING MAPS TO GARMIN 276C

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I am having problems downloading maps from mapsourse to my Garmin 276C. I'm using a Dell laptop that is running windows XP and has Norton Internet Security installed. The problem is with downloading large amounts of data. I have a 512mb card in the 276C. I have had this problem in the past and I have been able to get the maps to transfer by turning the Norton firewall off. It's pretty annoying because it does not crash until it is almost complete. I get a message that it has lost communication with the device. Anyone else seen this problem? I can send a small amount of maps with no problem.

Stan Walker

Try doing it with the unit plugged into the wall-wart (charger) that came with it. That seems to help my 276C make it all the way through a long map load.

Stan

Try doing it with the unit plugged into the wall-wart (charger) that came with it. That seems to help my 276C make it all the way through a long map load.

Stan

Ditto. I had similar problems trying to do it with the 276C running on its internal battery. Plug the GPS into AC power and I suspect you'll be OK.

Prolly yer battery's getting old and doesn't hold a high enough charge for the long transfer time - IMHO

Cheers,

Steve Kolenda

The battery is most likely not the issue. Bike put up last October and GPS put away at the same time. GPS started up in April still showing a full charge. Battery showing a full charge at beginning of map transfer and down about a quarter after many attempts to transfer.

I had this problem repeatedly when trying to transfer large mapsets with the GPS on battery power. Never had a problem with small downloads. I only overcame it when I read about the AC power solution on ADVRider. I had a relatively new, fully-charged battery too, BTW.

Steve Kolenda

OK, one more question in my attempt to pack as light as possible I'm wondering how the map downloads react to a unit that is plugged into bike power. I could move my laptop to the bike and power the GPS from the bike. Any experience? If not I will hook it up and do an experiment.

Garmin has a card reader for their map data cards and when using mine the data downloads much faster than when I keep the memory card in the 276 unit and try to download new map sets.

Card reader does cost $, but it's saved me some aggrevation.

Steve W

Archived