IGNORED

GS-911 Fault Code Reader

Sidmariner

I own one and it was and is worth the cost to me.

I have the most expensive variant: Bluetooth Pro version.

It saved me at the John Day Unrally on the morning of departure by pointing directly to the cause of my bike not starting: "Fuel pump final stage failure" The fuel pump connector had become dislodged. Found in less than 5 minutes.

Imagine the time involved if no hint had been provided as to the cause....

(The fuel pump connector issue was my fault. I had done work which required disconnecting the fuel pump prior to my John Day trip. I evidently did not fully reseat the connector. The bike made it to John Day with several days of riding at the unrally. The last day before leaving had some miles on an extremely rough road which probably jarred the connector loose, but still making enough contact to function. The fault was then detected next morning on startup.)

Pretty much mandatory for the new R and K bikes if you do your own maintenance. I wouldn't have even considered buying one of the new-gen K bikes if the GS-911 didn't exist.

Pretty much mandatory for the new R and K bikes if you do your own maintenance. I wouldn't have even considered buying one of the new-gen K bikes if the GS-911 didn't exist.

Really??? I would consider the GS-911 a "nice to have" but it would not be a deal blower for such a great motorcycle.

Really??? I would consider the GS-911 a "nice to have" but it would not be a deal blower for such a great motorcycle.

Without the GS-911 I would have to go to the dealer every time I got an amber or red fault code indication, or to reset the brake wear indicator, or any other service reminder, etc. And after I paid them to read a number off of a screen to me, if I wanted to do the repairs myself I'd have to go back again (to a dealer nearly 100 miles away) to have them clear the fault. That's not a situation I would find anywhere near acceptable. I realize most buyers may not feel that way, but this one does.

Yes, phenomenal product and hex.co is constantly improving the capabilities of the software. Just like having an ODB-II scanner, I also consider it a must have for the modern DIYer.

I think it's a great device. Stephan (the inventor, owner, etc..) is in the states now. I had him come to our rally a couple of weeks ago and he talked to a lot of people about it and gave a great demonstration. He's a great guy and can answer a lot of questions. I know he was thinking of going to the MOA rally but not sure if he has finalized his plans. He's staying in CA.

SAAB93driver

I got one for Christmas, blue tooth version. Unfortunately the blue tooth does not work with the Iphone (company issued phone - I hate all things Apple...). In any case the product works as claimed, I think it is worthwhile to have for a DIYer, especially as these bikes get older.

If you are doing your own maintenance you need something to read the codes, as required per the maintenance schedule. We got ours primarily to satisfy that requirement.

Joe Frickin' Friday

On their main page, they list as one of the device's functions:

Recalibrate Idle Actuation

Reset the idle stepper actuators on R-series.

I understand the hexheads use stepper motors to control bypass airflow. Does this mean the GS-911 forces the bypass flow on both TB's to zero so you can do a TB synch? Or does it mean something else?

Lone_RT_rider

I understand the hexheads use stepper motors to control bypass airflow. Does this mean the GS-911 forces the bypass flow on both TB's to zero so you can do a TB synch? Or does it mean something else?

Beuller.......Beuller.......anyone.....anyone....

The current iteration of the GS-911 software just does a recalibration of the steppers. Runs them through each’s range and the re-writes that to memory I believe. It does put them back to OEM original calibration and improves idle a bit I’ve found.

This is not actually the “park” position however for OEM TB sync. stepper positioning procedure. That functionality, according to Stephen is coming in a later (next?) version of the software.

But most of us have concluded its not as critical an issue as we had originally thought anyway, because sense the GS-911 software gained the ability to log the stepper positions and a bunch of other stuff, (two revs. ago as I recall), we have learned that just off idle they go to the same step count for each anyway, and track together up the RPM range.

Now that same step count for each may not actually be the same as the air bypass being open be the same on each side at idle. To learn that we’re anxiously awaiting the next upgrade the GS-911 software.

Ken, from what I've observed, the Idle Actuation Calibration function sets both stepper motors to position 211. After a few seconds, the controller re-adjusts the settings acording to it's programming. On my bike, this is in the 70-80 range.

I have one, the Bluetooth version, it’s great to know you’re not solely reliant on a dealer to sort your problems out.

On of the members of UKGSER’s had a fault reported “0167 output stage to electric fuel pump.” The bike was still running but it looked like the fuel pump controller (a notorious common failure for the 1200) was getting ready to fail. Interestingly, the dealers diagnostic didn’t pick the fault up, but a new fuel pump controller cleared the fault on the GS-911.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191814&highlight=gs-911

Quite a few members of the UKGSER’s forum did a group buy of the GS-911 and as far as I know made some saving so that’s an idea you might want to take up if enough of you are interested.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Quite a few members of the UKGSERs forum did a group buy of the GS-911 and as far as I know made some saving so thats an idea you might want to take up if enough of you are interested.

Just as a reminder to everyone, using the discussion board to organize a group-buy is contrary to the user agreement. People are welcome to organize something on their own, but the mods prefer the board not to be involved on the off-chance that things do not go as planned.

This is not actually the “park” position however for OEM TB sync. stepper positioning procedure. That functionality, according to Stephen is coming in a later (next?) version of the software.[/quot]e

So we can buy the device now, and the software can be upgraded at a later date to add this functionality?

So we can buy the device now, and the software can be upgraded at a later date to add this functionality?

Yes, the most current version of the software can always be downloaded for free (you will set up download access from their web site when you receive your unit, based on serial number.) In fact the unit doesn't ship with any software at all, you download it upon receipt of the hardware.

At the risk of sounding so "last century" am I reading the description correctly, that the only way to access the data is via a blue tooth phone or a laptop? (no I don't have either). Thanks.

At the risk of sounding so "last century" am I reading the description correctly, that the only way to access the data is via a blue tooth phone or a laptop? (no I don't have either). Thanks.

You can also use a desktop PC - if you can get away with taking the bike into the house...

Andy

A new Beta version has been released today!

Revision History for GS-911 Beta 906.1

* Added support for the BMS-KP2 Engine control unit (most BMS-KP device are upgraded to this during the CD13.x forced software update when you take it to the dealership (fix for "Unknown Controller type").

* Added full Service and Maintenance support for all single cylinder Controllers (Output test for Fuel-pump, Injectors, Fan etc.) and Adaptation resets (Idle, Idle Actuator, Throttle Position, Lambda etc)

* Idle Actuator Calibration for all F-Series and K-Series CAN based models

* Idle Actuator Locking that is required for Engine (throttle body) synchronization

* Reset of "Distance to Next Valve Clearance Check" to default

* added support for the K1300 models

* Firmware update of GS-911 unit to v15

* some GUI enhancements

Not tried it yet, and don't forget it's in beta! :)

You can use a PC, laptop or suitable mobile phone, there's also a way to Bluetooth it to your PC if it has a Bluetooth adapter, I just haven't worked it out yet (its not really supported, but can be done) :(

Fault finding works great to my Nokia phone via Bluetooth :)

* Added support for the BMS-KP2 Engine control unit (most BMS-KP device are upgraded to this during the CD13.x forced software update when you take it to the dealership (fix for "Unknown Controller type").

Hmmmm... I wonder what 'forced upgrade' means? My bike (K1200GT w/ BMS-KP ECU) is going in for replacement of a tire pressure sensor module (which also requires reprogramming of the TPM controller to recognize the new sensor.) Will I also receive a mandatory update of my ECU to CIP 13.x? I'm not sure that I want that as the bike runs great as it is...

Hmmmm... I wonder what 'forced upgrade' means? My bike (K1200GT w/ BMS-KP ECU) is going in for replacement of a tire pressure sensor module (which also requires reprogramming of the TPM controller to recognize the new sensor.) Will I also receive a mandatory update of my ECU to CIP 13.x? I'm not sure that I want that as the bike runs great as it is...

Just very recently someone asked Hex if they can include tire pressure sensor module renewal in the software so they do have it in mind
Just very recently someone asked Hex if they can include tire pressure sensor module renewal in the software so they do have it in mind

That was me! :grin: It's bad enough the sensors cost $125, but having to take it to a dealer would add insult to injury. But if they really last at least 5 years as advertised then I guess it won't be so bad.

That was me! :grin:

Shows we’re paying attention :)

Stephen posted this today on the GS-911 forum -

"BMW can force updates... that means if one of your control units is on a

force list, it will not continue with the diagnosis until the control

unit has been reprogrammed... the latest update for the BMW tool, (CD

13) does this for quite a number of control units... and most BMS-KP

units are reprogrammed to be BMS-KP2... with completely different ECU

identifier bytes..."

identifier bytes..."

So apparently a BMW service facility doesn't even have an option... they must upgrade the unit or they cannot do any work. So neither I nor the dealer have any choice, nor does either party necessarily even know what changes the update may contain. Wow. I guess I better hope I like whatever they've done.

identifier bytes..."

So apparently a BMW service facility doesn't even have an option... they must upgrade the unit or they cannot do any work. So neither I nor the dealer have any choice, nor does either party necessarily even know what changes the update may contain. Wow. I guess I better hope I like whatever they've done.

Sorry, you've lost me. Does this mean that the GS-911 will not function as designed after BMW has forced their own upgrade?

No, I believe that the latest GS-911 beta upgrade (v906.1) addresses the issue and works properly with the updated ECU.

You can use a PC, laptop or suitable mobile phone, there's also a way to Bluetooth it to your PC if it has a Bluetooth adapter, I just haven't worked it out yet (its not really supported, but can be done) :(

Fault finding works great to my Nokia phone via Bluetooth :)

Not too sure why you would want to bluetooth to your pc- the bluetooth only works in the mobile version which is quite a bit more limited than the regular pc version. Unfortunately, I also do not have a phone that works with the bluetooth model. Laptop works fine though, so I just have to connect via a cable. Get all the features that way. :thumbsup:

I think he meant that he wanted to use Bluetooth to link to his laptop while running the full version of the PC software. From what I've read Hexcode says that this may be possible but is unsupported.

I was trying to use the desktop PC in the room above the garage, I wanted to Bluetooth it because I couldn't get the bike up the stairs :)

Come on Seth, Just drink the Kool-Aid will ya! BMW knows what is best for your bike, really they do ;)

You guys crack me up, every new software update for the K1200 series especially IMPROVED the way they run etc.

I never installed an update on a bike that I didn't test ride afterwards, and I never felt like the update was detrimental.

identifier bytes..."

Sorry, you've lost me. Does this mean that the GS-911 will not function as designed after BMW has forced their own upgrade?

No, this is regarding the dealers GT1 diagnostic (and upgrade) system, not the aftermarket GS-911 product from Hex.co.

Yup. Kind of reminds you of Microsoft, right? The things we 'own' are not truely our own anymore.

In BMW's defense however, with the exception of a blip between version 4 to 5 (or something around then) ISFAK the updates have been pretty solid.

ISFAK the updates have been pretty solid.

Well that's a relief, given that the owner has no choice in the matter. Of course why should merely purchasing the vehicle convey that right to me.

Lone_RT_rider
A new Beta version has been released today!

Revision History for GS-911 Beta 906.1

* Added full Service and Maintenance support for all single cylinder Controllers (Output test for Fuel-pump, Injectors, Fan etc.) and Adaptation resets (Idle, Idle Actuator, Throttle Position, Lambda etc)

* Idle Actuator Calibration for all F-Series and K-Series CAN based models

* Idle Actuator Locking that is required for Engine (throttle body) synchronization

* Reset of "Distance to Next Valve Clearance Check" to default

* added support for the K1300 models

* Firmware update of GS-911 unit to v15

* some GUI enhancements

Not tried it yet, and don't forget it's in beta! :)

Ok, I downloaded the Beta tonight when I received my GS911 and can't seem to find the Idle actuation locking feature. Anyone have any ideas?

Shawn

Ok, I downloaded the Beta tonight when I received my GS911 and can't seem to find the Idle actuation locking feature. Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure what bike you have but if it's an R1200 it's on the menu under Engine -> Engine synchonization.

Lone_RT_rider

Found it Seth. I must have had the older version open the last time I looked for it. I closed it and then opened the beta version and found it without issue. Now, if I can just find the latest version for my Blackberry. The download on the webpage is version 1.1.9 whereas the update checker on the Blackberry states that version 1.3.2 is available. I did a search using their engine and came up empty. I put in an email to their tech support. Let's see how quick they respond. :)

Shawn

I have tried Richard's (BeniciaRT_GT) GS-911 and it won't talk to my bike. We tried it on more than one occasion and even verified that it was in working order by trying it on his GT and Jacqueline's F6650. Don't know why it won't communicate to my 02RT.

Lone_RT_rider
Let's see how quick they respond. :)

Well that was quick. I already have a response and a dialog is ensuing. :eek::thumbsup::clap:

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an older posting, but I'm wondering if anybody has brought up fuel maps to Stephen. With all the new bikes having fuel injection, there are various fuel maps being used. I know on certain bikes folks have spent some serious time adjusting fuel maps and getting them just so. Yet, I haven't heard anybody ever talk about fuel maps with the RTs or K series bikes for that matter. I just ordered a GS911 to help do services on my wife and I's bikes and it made me wonder if anybody had even brought this up.

Wayne

The current-generation engine management systems are much improved over past versions and we probably don't hear of many messing with fuel maps these days because it isn't really necessary (absent significant modifications.) With regard to such an ability in the GS-911, I don't think the BMW ECU supports tinkering with fuel maps on an individual vehicle basis, even with the official GT-1.

Archived