IGNORED

Accessory shelf for 1200RT

Smoky

I don't like how I have my V1 located, plus I just added a Kenwood 2way radio. The front of my bike is looking like a wiring explosion.

Can anyone recomend an accessory shelf for the RT? I promise to pile lots of stuff on it.

I recently installed the BMR shelf and am really happy with it. The main reason I decided I needed it was to mount my V1. Turns out the best feature is having the GPS closer to my line of site on the road. No more looking down between the handlebars.

malcolmblalock

IMO, the BMR is the best shelf on the market. Not inexpensive, but it's very well made and fits without modifying the bike. Ditto the GPS location; much better higher than lower.

That BMR looks like a nice shelf, but if I add a left and right mounting brackets, by the time I land it here with taxes, and custom handling fee, it $303 CDN.

That's too spendy for me.

Is there a cheaper option?

I really like my BMR shelf. I did not add the side “wings” just mounted the V-1 and TPM on a slight angle. The one problem I have is the glair on the bikes instrument panel. Under most conditions it is almost unreadable for me.

... Turns out the best feature is having the GPS closer to my line of site on the road. No more looking down between the handlebars.
Ha ha - told ya so Jim!

I posted pics of mine before (BMR should send me commission checks! :grin:). I bought the balance of a forum member's group buy inventory and have a few accessory brackets left over plus one LH V1 locking bracket (why they made that I have no clue, since V1 display angles from RH side).

Jeff

354052726.jpg

$10 of metal from Home Depot, a Jig Saw,a bench grinder and some black paint....

399177814_jASo2-L.jpg

Hey let's see some detailed pics of that shelf!

Yup, I'm building one myself. Made a template with cardboard, copied it to some aluminum, and cleaned it up on the wire wheel, and lots of emery cloth.

I'm going to work on it some more today, I'm taking pics as I go along.

More later.

Yup, I'm building one myself. Made a template with cardboard, copied it to some aluminum, and cleaned it up on the wire wheel, and lots of emery cloth.

Cool, building your own = twice the fun. Looking forward to seeing it when done.

I've finished my shelf. I used 14 ga aluminum, folded it over and creased the edges. Drilled the holes, filed and sanded it smooth, fabricated a lighter bracket and pop-riveted it, and painted and mounted the whole works.

It seems to be just right, clears the windshield, doesn't block the gauges or warning lights, and holds everything in sight with nice sight lines.

I haven't ridden with it yet, just finished minutes ago, my only concern is it might vibrate. I have some foam tape I can use to help with vibration if it's needed.

Here's some pics, first time inserting multiple pics.

2633036580102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

2854968450102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

2234236400102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

2020296870102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

2262940890102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

2150765140102298019S600x600Q85.jpg

So that's it, tomorrow I ride!

That looks really nice. I wish I was that handy.

If you run into vibration you can run vertical supports down the the mounting screws at the bottom of the dash. That is how the BMR shelf ends up so solid.

Wow!,

well done! please give us a post ride report. was vibration an issue? What if anything do you wish you could have done differently?

Any chance you'd share that template?

I like the slot for the kenwood. I presume you use that for the belt cliP? Dandy!

I have found the shelf to be more stable than I anticipated. It does bounce around on bumby roads, and I will watch it carefully for sag or cracks. If I get some sag, which I am sure would lead to cracks, I plan on re-inforcing the narrow part with a thicker aluminum strip under the shelf. Hopefully it won't be needed.

Yes the radio is just using the belt clip, it holds just fine.

It didn't take five minutes to make the template out of cardboard, most of the dementions are fixed, the length is determined by what accessories you want to add. Length of the V1 determined my overall length.

It was very satisfying to build.

I believe the Gadget Guy system is by far the best solution. Thats the way I went after I disassembled all of the plastic and discovered the lack of support for anything that connects to the top of the dash without reinforcement. His starts with a heavy bracket that clamps to the steel framework under the dash reinforcing the same connection points on the top of the dash. No additional holes resulting in a bracket that you could lift the front of the bike in the air with a winch if you wanted. It is pricey though.

Archived