IGNORED

Under Armour's design change???

OoPEZoO

I recently retired my old pair of Under Armour compression shorts that I used for riding. I stopped by my local sporting goods store this week to pick up another pair (or two) and was quite alarmed at their design changes. It appears that they have now decided to place seams that look like they would directly interfere with motorcycle comfort (one seam directly under each posterior bone).

I suppose I can find an alternate solution online, but I was hoping to have a new pair before I left for WV this weekend.

Any suggestions, or is there anyone using the current Under Armour design and think it is comfortable. The damn things are expensive, and I don't want to use them for one ride and toss them in the trash.

Link to their current design. Click on the rear view and you will see my concern. (LINK)

Was not overly impressed with my UA Heatgear longs,seams started to unravel after just a few trips.

Get these,just bought a pair of their longs on sale.

The Iron Butt and long distance crowd favor this brand:

http://ldcomfort.com/

JR356

Kieth, I recently replaced my UA shorts for the BMW version, and they had seams similar to UA's, but there were no comfort problems, for me,

If you can believe their description, this is what they say: "Built with Flatlock Seams that feel smooth against the skin and prevent chafing."

I would imagine that they wouldn't cause chafing if worn all day under an athletic uniform while moving around. The big question is if they would create pressure points for riding sun up to sun down.

I guess I'll take a gamble and buy a pair. I figure I'll be covering 1000-1200 miles between Thursday-Sunday, so I'll report back with what I find.

If they don't work for me, I guess I'll check out the ldcomforts. Thanks guys

Nice n Easy Rider

Keith,

I'm guessing that they think the seams have been minimized to the point that you won't feel them ("Built with Flatlock Seams that feel smooth against the skin and prevent chafing") but I would be a little concerned as well. Have you tried calling their customer service? Based on their 'selling point' above, maybe they'll offer to refund your purchase price if you find the seams can be felt.

I've had gook luck with the Wal-mart version of under armor. I got a pair for just this purpose for around $10 and have had no trouble with them. That being said, I wouldn't mind trying the LD underwear.

I've had gook luck with the Wal-mart version of under armor. I got a pair for just this purpose for around $10 and have had no trouble with them. That being said, I wouldn't mind trying the LD underwear.

For $10......thats my kind of gamble. Looks like I know where to stop on my way home today. Thanks

Keith,

I have those and the seams are not an issue for me. I was even riding on a stock seat.

Thanks John.......you do realize that if they are uncomfortable, you will be hearing about it all weekend. :grin:

See you tomorrow :wave:

Take a look at LD Comfort and forget about the UA. Just did the Lake Superior Circle Tour with LD Comfort under the Darien and with the temps from 45-85 I couldn't ask for anything better!

I have the new Underarmor compression shorts and road tested them for 1500 miles up to NorCal and back. I thought they worked wonders and the flat-seams did not bug me. I did not wear any thing underthem, although I did wear some light-weight long johns over them once or twice.

Since I never used the previous type I cannto answer directly other than to say they were a tremendous improvement over the cotton boxer briefs I wore the last time I was on a motorcycle road trip.

While the rear view is more than I needed to see, the frontal seems a bit optimistic. :grin:

Honestly, they look like they're designed for bicyclists, not motersickle riders.

If you can live with a banana up your arse, the seams won't even be a second thought. :P

I'd look elsewhere.

BTW, the ones I have are not the bicyclist style (with banana-butt padding added) - I suspect the bicycle compression shorts would be *horrid* on a motorcycle over time.

My neighbor is an LAPD beat cop and he uses the same kind under his uniform for 12 hour days in and out of a squad car with no problems.

JT

Yeah, they aren't designed for bicyclists........they are designed for wearing as a base layer for other random athletic activities. There are no pads or leg grippers. I checked them out in the store before I even posted anything up. They are comfortable and feel great, but I was just concerned with the seams causing hot spots after a long day on the road. The old UA compression shorts I owned worked great for me, but they didn't hove those flat seams running down the middle of my arse.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same product, but if it's Jockey Life flex stretch boxer briefs ($10 for 2-pack; 94% cotton, 6% spandex), they are comfortable, but not nearly so as Under Armour boxer briefs.

Please allow me to jump in here and mention a couple of things about the LDComfort Riding Garments. There are no seams in the seating area. Anyone who makes garments with seams in the seating area did not design them for motorcycle riders. Flat lock stitching is good but still not okay for the seating area. Realize also that LDComfort is made with a dual layer fabric that keeps the skin dry even when the garment is wringing wet. That is a HUGE difference when comparing to any single layer synthetic garment. See the video on the LDComfort website:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm There are many reasons the long distance riders wear LDComfort. Also: The garments are made to last. If you properly care for the garment you can ride for over 200,000 miles with the same pair of LDComfort Riding Shorts. That makes them the most cost effective garment for motorcycle riding. Look on the FAQ page for a word about compression fit.

Learn the reason LDComfort is different and how you can ride 1000 miles per day without a worry about monkey butt and other saddle sore problems. There should be other things a rider should think about rather than butt pain. I want you to enjoy every mile. :)

I just finished a relatively long mile ride with temperatures ranging from 35 to over 100 degrees F. I tried the LDComforts and found them to be great, especially at cooler temperatures. After washing they air dry exceptionally fast.

I also tried a pair of Lee Parks "bamboo" shorts on this trip and also found them to be very good and reasonably priced. I have used UnderArmour and Magellins shorts for their quick drying properties, but the addition of seams to both brands had me looking for an alternative. I can recommend both the LDs and the Lee Parks designs.

I wear these That are MUCH better than the Wickers brand I wore before. I like them so much that I bought 12 pair for everyday use. I tossed ALL my cotton boxers. They do have seams in the rear but they are on the outside where I don't sit. Can't beat the price too! No afilliation.

Henry

I have the new Underarmor compression shorts and road tested them for 1500 miles up to NorCal and back. I thought they worked wonders and the flat-seams did not bug me. I did not wear any thing underthem, although I did wear some light-weight long johns over them once or twice.

Since I never used the previous type I cannto answer directly other than to say they were a tremendous improvement over the cotton boxer briefs I wore the last time I was on a motorcycle road trip.

+1

I wore a pair for an SS 1000 and had no discomfort issues with the seams. There was no caffing and my "rear parts" were comfortable throughout the day.

Archived