IGNORED

Air mattress ????

Starfighter

Starfighter

When traveling, Karen and I really enjoy sleeping under the stars.

Problem is, at our age we been using an air mattress and all brands we've tried, have leaked at the worst times..........

Anybody have a mattress/pad that you're really happy with ???

Thanx

Therm-a-rest

15 years on same pad, rolled up most of year, used 5 to 10 nights per year, still no leaks.

PS: I've been using a cot under it lately, most recently this one. Ultra-Lite Cot

Roy :thumbsup:

Fightingpiper

The wife and I use the cheapo wally world queen mattress and it hasn't failed us yet and neither of us are small people...

Starfighter

The cheapo WallyWorld ones are the ones that have leaked on us.......we've gone thru about a dozen........

Coleman

Ozark something

Intex (sp?)

Therm-a-rest here, too.

If there's an REI near you, head on in and give them a try. Don't be bashful getting down on the floor trying each of them out. The sales folk are very helpful, and there are a number of models to choose from, depending if you wand to inflate them more or less, as well as full or mid-length.

I have a Camplite, which they don't make any more. Check out their lineup online:

Therm-a-rest mattresses.

I've had mine for over 10 years - I love it.

If you spring for a pad, get the stuff sack, and a repair kit, just in case you close the puncture the pad in your trunk, or something like that.

Big Agnes has an awesome pad! Or you could get one of the Aerobed camp mattresses, my wife and I have one and it is pretty nifty.

Starfighter

Thanx

Just the kind of ideas we needed............

Heading over to REI today...................

If nothing grabs us , we're going to order the Aerobed Enduro.....

+1 on Thermarest.

My pad is over 20 years old and just last summer I replaced the original metal screw valve with the plastic valve kit.

To be honest, it doesn't self inflate as well as it did in the past but... it doesn't leak either.

I've used a Thermarest for years but last year decided to try a new mattress and ended up buying a Big Agnes at REI. The Big Agnes weighs about the same, packs up just as compactly, but is way more comfortable. It just takes a little longer to inflate. I never leave home without it.

Exped Downmat!

I used a therm-a-rest for several years, never did find it that comfy, and I had the thickest one I could buy!

Last year I bought one of these.

Downmat 9

Much more comfortable than anything else I have tried, Hotels not included.

The 9 DLX is the thickest and largest in the series, the 7 is just a little thiner but still really comfortable if you want to save a little $.

Andy.

I still have a therm-a-rest from the '80's. I've poked a few holes in it. Two words: SHOE GOO. Put it in the bathtub to find the hole. Seam Grip is just as good as shoe goo, maybe better.

As an alternative, the "ridge-rest" is just as comfy, and can't deflate on you. Get the thicker, green and purple one, if they still make it.

I've done the Thermarest thing. I've now got a Big Agnes backer's air mattress - much more confortable than the thermarest (even over the Camprest) and much less bulky to pack. The only advantage to a Thermarest is in cold wether because it insulates you from the ground much better.

xbubblehead

I have used the Big Agnes insulated air core pad for several years. I prefer this over a self-inflating mattress, it seems to give me

more cushion. Plus the mattress slides into a special pocket under my Big Agnes sleeping bag to keep it from sliding out from under me.

I use an Aero pump to save my lungs, and it also doubles as a flashlight. This year I added the Go-Kot (very comfy) to my gear.

i just bought a twin size (they have queen size ) Kelty air mattress. It rolls up just a little bigger than my thermarest. I got mine from REI.

I am taking it with me to Alaska, so I will let you know how it works out.

I am taking it with me to Alaska....

Pack a tube of seam grip, just in case. 1/2 way to Alaska's not an easy place to find it, and it's a looong trip to the store!

Archived