IGNORED

Looking for Garmin GPS model for 1150rt

GOGRIZZ

I am looking at various Garmin gps models for my 1150 rt that I can listen to mp3's either through stereo headphones that will plug-in or bluetooth as well as listen to voice prompts through headset. I want to be able to plug it in to the accessory outlets or have it be battery operated or both. I have a shelf for it to sit on . And of course , something reasonably priced. Yhank you for your responses.

ride safe

I've been satisfied with the Garmin 550 I bought from:

http://www.navigenius.com/products.asp?dept_id=10235&product_id=11177&show=features#tabs

They had the best price I could find at the time. Just be aware that after you buy from them, they will call you to confirm shipping - at which time they'll hard sell you to buy additional accessories - just say no. Buy the GPS and be on your way.

The 550 will do everything you listed. Only thing it won't do is transmit the XM radio via bluetooth, you have to have a cord between the garmin and your helmet (I use a Nolan Helmet with BT).

I bought a mount from "Jakfrost" who is on this forum that works wonderfully. Search for gps mount or by username and you'll find his posts. Custom made, very nice.

Pete

Just make sure you get the Zumo 550 (or 650) not the Nuvi 550 if you want the bluetooth/mp3 player.

I'm the cheapest thing on my BMW so I opted for the Nuvi 550 over the Zumo 550 as it's less than 1/2 the cost of the Zumo (yet still IPX7 waterproof rated) and my bikes not wired for sound.

Mark

If you want to stream stereo music via Bluetooth to a headset (without a Bluetooth dongle), the ONLY choice is Zumo 660, since it has Bluetooth version 2.0.

The Zumo 550 will stream music via Bluetooth to a helmet headset (A2DP protocol) for wireless connection, but sadly it is mono only because of it's Bluetooth version 1.0 limitation. The solution is to use a BT dongle like WiRevo plugged into the audio output minijack on the Zumo 550 cradle to send stereo BT signal to the headset. Also be aware that you will need a stereo BT headset to mount on your helmet like the IMC Camos units.

If you don't mind having a cord, then look at the older discontinued Gamin motorcycle units like StreetPilot 2730 or 2820, which are usually found much more reasonably priced.

I own both a Garmin ZUMO for the bike and a TomTom for my car .... my next bike GPS will be a TomTom Rider !! To me the screens are much better thought out, the icons are much more intuitive and the TomTom is just more user friendly. And they can be had new for about $360 complete with a Bluetooth headset. 5 hours battery life. Not sure about the streaming music though??

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=354&Lid=4&Category=1&TT=16a8b1fe-baba37bd-16a8b1f8-baba37bd-00000002-kev6jtnbmjf8arlo8j8ar3bpg1

John Bentall

Personally, before I bought a TomTom, I would want a lot of reassurance that the after-sales support is a good as Garmin.

I have no doubt that it is an excellent unit to use.

wbrissette

For me it's more than just the GPS. I use the computer mapping software to plan my routes. That's where Garmin shines. I've not quite been able to tell exactly WHAT the software on the Tom Tom even looks like on the computer. It's on their feature list, but that's the only place I've ever seen mention of it.

Wayne

Pete-

I took your advice and went to the navi-genius page and read up on the c-550 and c-580 Garmins. Outstanding price on both units new of $155.00 ! These are dicontinued units by Garmin but they were $800.00 unnits a few years ago and have a lot of features. The check is in the mail as they say and we will see how it does on the bike and my car. Eight hour battery is a great feature for the bike. Bluetooth and Mp3 as well as turn by turn navigation and voice prompts. Should be all I need. I got the c-580 which is the same as the c-550 except you get a year free of msn services with the c-580. Thanks everyone for the great advice and I will let you know how it works. This will be my first GPS device. I could have used this device 25 years ago as a field engineer for AT&T back home in Montana .

Kevin

Pete-

I took your advice and went to the navi-genius page and read up on the c-550 and c-580 Garmins. Outstanding price on both units new of $155.00 ! These are dicontinued units by Garmin but they were $800.00 unnits a few years ago and have a lot of features. The check is in the mail as they say and we will see how it does on the bike and my car. Eight hour battery is a great feature for the bike. Bluetooth and Mp3 as well as turn by turn navigation and voice prompts. Should be all I need. I got the c-580 which is the same as the c-550 except you get a year free of msn services with the c-580. Thanks everyone for the great advice and I will let you know how it works. This will be my first GPS device. I could have used this device 25 years ago as a field engineer for AT&T back home in Montana .

Kevin

Those are nice units .... my only concern is they are not weather proof. So have to bag it in rain. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

Hi Ed-

I will let you know how it works. I know it isn't motorcycle specific but I saw an online tutorial and it looks everu bit as easy as the Zumo units . I am a day rider at most and clear skies are always looked for on the radar. I have a bag just in case. It really is for my wife in our yukon and she will let me play with it one day a week when I go riding :thumbsup: The msn service has weather on it so I can avoid the heavy stuff. Ride safe and have a good 4th. Thank a veteran.

Kevin

Hi Ed-

I will let you know how it works. I know it isn't motorcycle specific but I saw an online tutorial and it looks everu bit as easy as the Zumo units . I am a day rider at most and clear skies are always looked for on the radar. I have a bag just in case. It really is for my wife in our yukon and she will let me play with it one day a week when I go riding :thumbsup: The msn service has weather on it so I can avoid the heavy stuff. Ride safe and have a good 4th. Thank a veteran.

Kevin

My buddy had a C550 and then a Zumo and he indicated the screens were in fact close to the same! I have the same deal with my TomTom One - 3rd edition ... mainly for the car but have a REAM mount on my GS and the battery life is good all day if careful. A clear baggie works OK in rain. Good luck!!

Archived