IGNORED

Alaska Leather buttpad

Glacier_g_rt

Glacier_g_rt

My Russell seat is getting worn and will have to be sent out to be refurbished after this riding season. I saw the ad for Alaska Leather's buttpad and was considering using one with the Russell in the interim. Would anyone who has used the buttpad and sees this please tell me what your opinion of it is? With a price of about $70 shipped it has caught my interest. Any feedback is appreciated.

I've used one for a couple years now and like it. I didn't like the strap hold-down method so installed some velcro on the seat and pad and this seems to work fine. It allows some air to circulate so is cooler in the summer. In the rain, you need to cover it or remove it because it is a sponge.

I bought one for the F650GS, the seat is hard as a rock. The pad makes the seat tolerable with the added benefit of making it warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

(I also bought a chair pad for my office. . . it (the chair pad) looks pretty dorky, and I feel like I should add a pair of fuzzy dice, but I don't have a rear view mirror on my computer. :grin:)

I got one for my RT and really like it. The stock seat works fine for me up to a couple of hundred miles. Beyond that, I put the Alaska Leather pad on and can ride all day in comfort. I used is for a 12,000 mile tour of the country last year. It has gotten soaked several times. I just shake it out and let it dry until the next time. It still looks new.

Highly recommended, especially at the price.

Jay

I keep mine on the bike year round only taking it off when it rains. Good quality product and customer service as well. I don't have a custom seat and I think next time I'll get one of the new gel pads they have.

Billy,

I ended up having to use "shoe goo" to attached the velcro. The normal sticky-back velcro didn't hold but shoe goo holds fine. The other thing I did was wash the pad in the washing machine becaue it got wet once and stained my pants. The other advantage was when I took it out of the washing machine, I put it on the bike seat wet and made sure it was "pressed" into the shape of the seat and when it dried, it bacame very "conformal" to the shape of the seat. Very happy with it now.

Billy,

I ended up having to use "shoe goo" to attached the velcro. The normal sticky-back velcro didn't hold but shoe goo holds fine. The other thing I did was wash the pad in the washing machine becaue it got wet once and stained my pants. The other advantage was when I took it out of the washing machine, I put it on the bike seat wet and made sure it was "pressed" into the shape of the seat and when it dried, it bacame very "conformal" to the shape of the seat. Very happy with it now.

Thanks John,

I lead a very sheltered life and this "shoe goo" you speak of is something else I've not experienced..

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm

And do I really want to put it on my Corbin???? :grin:

I would not put it on my seat ! shoe goo that is. shoe goo is for fixing shoe soles and is a good general purpose glue.It wont come off. They also make stuff called " seal all" it's the only glue I have found that can repair gas tanks . It's fuel resistant and fantastic thing to have on long trips through far away places.

That's the stuff Billy. Your call if you want to put it on your seat. I just put for squares of the fuzzy side of black velcrow on my black seat and it's not very noticable. Anyway, I leave the pad on so you can't see it anyway.

Glacier_g_rt

I'm convinced, placed an order for one and got a 10% discount. Will look into the suggestions here today when I get it. Thanks everyone.

I'm convinced, placed an order for one and got a 10% discount. Will look into the suggestions here today when I get it. Thanks everyone.

Yeah I think I'll get one too as I've been looking. How did you get the 10% discount?

I used one in 2003 on a K1200LT. I rode about 15,000 miles in 16 days. It worked great and I had the usual isssues with the strap that is used to hold it to the seat. I am sure I rode it in some rain but I don't remember that being a big problem. I don't know why I quit using it.

About a week ago I found it and put on my R1200RT. What a nice improvement! I attached two small bungee cords to the strap attachment clips and ran them under the seat. No need for the elastic strap anymore. If only all the improvements could be that cheap and easy.

Glenn Pancoast

I have a pair, rider and pillion, for the RT (stock seat) and they do a good job with their intended purpose. In my case, however, I can't say they turned my stock seat into an all day one (I just ordered a new seat as testament to that). In my personal experience they add a modicum of comfort and keep the "stick factor" down in the heat. But they ain't magic (YMMV).

In my personal experience they add a modicum of comfort and keep the "stick factor" down in the heat. But they ain't magic (YMMV).

+1

It was the 2003 Iron Butt Rally. The Corbin seat I had seemed to get harder and harder to the point I needed something softer. The Alaska pad worked great on the K1200LT. I was really amazed on how nice it feels on the R1200RT. I am using it again on the 2009 IBR. This has to be the best case for YMMV.

Glacier_g_rt

Just got the buttpad in the mail today. Slipped it over the Russell seat without even adjusting the strap and it fit great. Had to take a short ride between the frequent showers to try it out, very comfortable. Good excuse to put on some miles this weekend! :D

HA! Got mine today too. One of my guys at work saw it was from alaska and thought it might be whale blubber. Put it on my R1100RT and it fit fine. Maybe go out tonight for a little spin.

Don't forget it fades badly on light colored pants when it gets wet. I learned the hard way with a black pad and light tan trousers!!

Glacier_g_rt

Thanks for the tip, someone else mentioned that it should be washed to prevent staining. Good to know.

A sheepskin butt pad is probably the best bang for the buck you can get for seat comfort. I stopped at the store in 2006 to thank them.

alaska_leather.jpg

Alaska Leather is one of those old school cycle places that has a lot of character, run by a rider (she had a cast on her ankle when I stopped in, the result of a motorcycle incident), and is well worth a visit if you're in Anchorage.

By the way, the 26 Street Hostel is within walking distance, and makes a good base of operations for a few days in the Anchorage area. It's run by a couple from Argentina, who took two years to ride their bicycles (take that, Iron Butt riders) from Tierra del Fuego to the Arctic circle. Interesting clientele, big screen TV, internet access, and breakfast for about $20 a night.

Dave, one more thing. After you wash it, put it on your seat and let it dry. It will assume a conformal position resulting in a great fit.

Glacier_g_rt

Washed the pad and am letting it dry in place on the bike. I see what you mean about it conforming to the shape of the seat. Thanks for the great advice. :thumbsup:

I've been following this thread with more than passing interest as I have an untried alaskan sheepskin butt pad that I purchased for my NM honda shortly after a 500 mile March ride from phoenix to albuquerque. This fall I'll experience (hopefull) some improvement over the stock ST seat.

Wooster

Washed the pad and am letting it dry in place on the bike. I see what you mean about it conforming to the shape of the seat. Thanks for the great advice. :thumbsup:

Did you wash it wash it like with soap or just soak it down with water?

Archived