IGNORED

Battery -> pig tail -> Autocom: OK?

blackyam

Hi, everyone. I have a pig tail connected directly to my battery to plug in my Battery Tender. Is it OK to power my Autocom Active-Plus via the pig tail? What Autocom cable would I need if it's OK? Thanks.

---John.

Is the existing connector fused? If not I wouldn't run the autocom off of it... if it is you have to stop and think if the fuse is too large (not offering protection to the autocom) for the secondary purpose. Also.... the best answer may vary depending on the model autocom you have.

Provide a few more details and you'll get plenty of useful information. For what it's worth... many run the autocom off of a switched power source. There're many good options out there.

I have had my A-comm plugged in direct off battery on my RT for a handful of years w/o problems, power lead emerges from the front point of the seat and heads to my tank bag where I park my unit. I don't think I am fused - that may be something to change next time I'm under the seat poking around....

Well, you can, but be careful.

First, as previously stated, make sure to fuse the autocom side of the connection. 1/2 amp or so is fine. You can get an inline fuse connection at radio shack, as well as the sae connector that is used for the pigtail.

Second, be sure to disconnect the autocom when you are not riding. While it is only a small power draw, it's enough to give you a dead battery, at least the Super Pro AVI is.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

I'm looking at the Autocom now, and it states: Active-PLUS e11 0526.

Presently, I run it off a 9V battery. How do I connect a fused SAE connector to the unit? Thanks again.

---John.

Autocom makes a cable, or you might try a 9v adapter from somewhere like radioshack. Personally, I'd just get the autocom cable, it probably has some filtering in it.

Hi, Kevin. Do you have a part number? I went to the Autocom website and looked under Power & Installation and also Component Parts, but did not see an SAE connector. Thanks.

---John.

Autocom doesn't use SAE. If you wish to use the autocom cable (best choice really especially if it has some isolation in it) you will need to get creative to use an SAE connection. If you do get the autocom cable just use that...give up on making use of the SAE that is there now.

It should be pretty easy attach the Autocom connector to an SAE connector...it's just wires or terminal connectors, right?

Autocom doesn't use SAE. If you wish to use the autocom cable (best choice really especially if it has some isolation in it) you will need to get creative to use an SAE connection. If you do get the autocom cable just use that...give up on making use of the SAE that is there now.

Ah, OK. I see. So use this Autocom cable to plug in directly to the battery and forget using the SAE now there for my Battery Tender. (What does the Autocom connector web page mean by "Requires power lead/supply"? Does it mean that not everything shown on the web page is supplied?) Of course, then I'd have two pig tails dangling from my battery---one for my Battery Tender (SAE) and one for my Autocom (non-SAE)---but I guess there would be no harm in that, right? Thanks.

It should be pretty easy attach the Autocom connector to an SAE connector...it's just wires or terminal connectors, right?

If I did that, would I be able to share the pig tail with an SAE between my Autocom and my Battery Tender?

Thanks again, y'all.

---John.

If I did that, would I be able to share the pig tail with an SAE between my Autocom and my Battery Tender?

I would think so. Now you've got me thinking about doing that. My only concern is remembering to shut off the Autocom. I'm very used to just unplugging from it, and knowing that it will shut off, since it's got the 9v power.

I would think so. Now you've got me thinking about doing that. My only concern is remembering to shut off the Autocom. I'm very used to just unplugging from it, and knowing that it will shut off, since it's got the 9v power.

Would the Battery Tender blow the fuse in the Autocom connector part? (From the Autocom web page: "Special 3 amp fused relay connects the Autocom power lead directly to the bike's battery to draw power from the bike.")

---John.

John Bentall

I might have suggested putting an SAE connector on the ned of this cable http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/index.php/1536.html to run directly off the pigtail. As others have said - it will drain the battery if left connected in this state.

It is better to follow the suggestion to tap into a switched power supply for the positive and direct to the battery for the negative when using this cable.

If you use the 2437 (1536), I have not heard of this being blown by the Battery Tender.

You should not connect your Autocom system directly to the bikes battery without using an in-line fuse of less than 5 amps and preferably 3 amps.

The bikes battery has far more than enough current capacity to completely destroy the Autocom power cable and main control box, which could easily result in a fire.

Autocom part 2437 is similar to the old part 1546 and will provide protection, plus also let you automatically turn the power off to the Autocom system when you turn the ignition off, which will save the bikes battery while not being used.

Do NOT use a battery tender connected via our part 2437 (or 1546) Please follow the independent instructions supplied with the battery tender.

Please check to see if TopGear Accessories (888-851-4327) still have any of these old part 1546 in stock if you are using it with a pre-2009 product, but if not please call MDE (866) 951-5550, or if you are going to the MOA rally you can meet me and our new US distributors where we will be exhibiting our all new 2009 range, plus offering a fitting and product support service.

Please also note, that all of our new 2009 part numbered product have new updated instruction manuals to suit the new 2009 products and may be slightly different to the pre 2009 old products.

Old pre-2009 numbered products (including those renumbered by others) only have instructions to suit old pre 2009 products and are not updated to our latest specifications and may not be suitable to be supplied for customers who wish to use them with the new 2009 products.

Please ask your supplier to confirm if the parts they are supplying are a genuine NEW part number with the latest instruction manuals, and so comply with the Manufacturers original specification for that new part number, or if they (the supplier) have renumbered an old part number, which may be a similar product to a new part number, but the instructions will not be updated or suitable for use with new part numbered products

Maybe all suppliers for Autocom products will consider the Manufacturers original specifications for such part numbers also applies to the relevant instruction manuals supplied with such part numbers.

Where Autocom has provided a new part numbered product with a reference to an old part number, it is for reference only to help people understand similarities. There may be differences between the new part and the old similar part, in particular the way the new parts instructions are designed for the new 2009 range products.

Autocom UK Tom

Autocom part 2437 is similar to the old part 1546 and will provide protection, plus also let you automatically turn the power off to the Autocom system when you turn the ignition off, which will save the bikes battery while not being used.

The picture shown in the TopGear web page for part 2437 (old part 1546) shows two connectors that appear to me would be connected directly to the two battery posts: is this correct? If so, would using this part (automatically) prevent draining the battery after the ignition is switched off?

Do NOT use a battery tender connected via our part 2437 (or 1546) Please follow the independent instructions supplied with the battery tender.

Gotcha!

Please check to see if TopGear Accessories (888-851-4327) still have any of these old part 1546 in stock if you are using it with a pre-2009 product, but if not please call MDE (866) 951-5550, or if you are going to the MOA rally you can meet me and our new US distributors where we will be exhibiting our all new 2009 range, plus offering a fitting and product support service.

My Active-PLUS is surely pre-2009. Is the part linked above the correct one for it (with the correct instructions)? (I won't be at the MOA rally.)

Thanks, Tom (and everyone again) for all your help.

---John.

John

The part TG advertises will be a part 1546 which is correct for your Active system

The two lead connect directly to the battery and the internal fuse provides the protection you need.

The Active power leads connect easily to the part 1546 internal screw terminals

The internal relay causes the battery power to be automatically disconnected from the Active when the bikes ignition is switched off, and this is done via a single trigger wire that connects to a switched ignition point on the bike (12 volts) per the instructions supplied.

Autocom UK Tom

Archived