IGNORED

Warning - Tire Valves Failing

scout6

After the second valve failure in less than 3000 miles of riding, I did some digging. There is a large valve stem recall (as mentioned in the AMA a few months back). It lists lots of valves that are marked with TR413 - TR415. My valves were 412's, but both failed above the flange in the body, below the threading. The first one caused a few hundred in associated travel costs and a bent rim. The second cost a new tire at premium mark up last Saturday. The way to test the is by pushing on them to lean them over, like you are going to fill them in tight location. I recommend not doing this away from the dealer, unless you are changing your own tires. I am going to find the metal ones and do any required mods to get them on my R1150RT Wheels before my next trip.

Just ran out in the garage to check my two spares..They are both TR 412..

Exactly why I'm hesitant to replace a perfectly working stem..

I thought mine were working fine, until I was checking the air pressure. That is when the first one failed, and the second one started leaking slowly after a pressure check.

TR412 is the size. There was a batch of crappy Chinese made valve stems of all sizes that were on the market a while back. My TR412s came from Germany in a bag of 100.

Andy

Edit: Just read your second post: The German valves are decent quality and have to be approved by the TUV (a strict vehicular standards organisation).

TR412 is the size. There was a batch of crappy Chinese made valve stems of all sizes that were on the market a while back. My TR412s came from Germany in a bag of 100.

Andy

Edit: Just read your second post: The German valves are decent quality and have to be approved by the TUV (a strict vehicular standards organisation).

Great! thanks..

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2008/06/valve-stem-reca.html

My TR 412's are also stamped "made in Germany".

The defective ones appear to be made in China..I'd be interested in knowing where your TR 412's that failed were made..

My spare is the same; TR 412 and "Made in Germany"....I only buy them from the BMW dealer so it's assumed that they are all from Germany but that's obviously only an assumption....Just replaced tires on Kathy's 1150 and my 12RT along with new stems...Think I'll call the dealer and see what they say about manufacturing origin...

Just did that and they only buy the German one's as you'd expect....

Thanks Scout6 for the heads up.....

Bad news. Mine were installed by the dealer, and now that I have the old tri-focals on, those dots resolved into "Made in Germany". Going to change over to the metal stems.

Archived