IGNORED

Recommend a Torque Wrench?

Roadwolf

Guys,

I am in need of a torque wrench for maintenance needs on the RT... specifically for doing oil and filter changes, final drive fluid changes, and down the road, valve adjustments and tire changes.

I need one that is suitable for getting under the bike as well. I have looked online (Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Snap-on...pricey)... I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to get junk either. Also, the ft/lb range that I need would be helpful if you could point me in that direction as well (Min/Max for what I would need for wrenching on the RT)

Thanks for any advice.

If you are going to get a cheap wrench get a beam type, nothing to wear, nothing to calibrate.

All Click types wear, professional quality wears slowly.

If you get a clicker, get a good one. Store it with the setting at 0

If you can not afford a professional grade one, get a beam type.

Rod

I could only afford a Harbor Freight at the time, and it has been fine for a couple of years. It was around $15.00. I store it on zero and I have been happy with it.

I could only afford a Harbor Freight at the time, and it has been fine for a couple of years. It was around $15.00. I store it on zero and I have been happy with it.

The harbor freight stuff takes a beating around here, but I have had the same experience. I bought my first clicker torque wrench from them probably 7+/- years ago. I bring it into work maybe once a year (usually before a big project) to check it out. This thing has been dropped, stored all wound up at 70+ftlbs, and even taken completely apart once then reassembled once (due to a screw falling out of the head). It still works perfect and is accurate within .5 ftlb the way way through the range. I'm a big fan of Craftsman and SnapOn, but this thing has paid for itself 20-30x over. I'll give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keith... which one do you have... can you point me to the exact model or similar one on their website. Thanks!

BeemerLover

I have used one from Harbor Freight for at least 10 years. When I first got it the guy next door to me poo poo'd it and said that Snap On was the only way to go. I took his Snap On and hooked it to mine using a socket that would fit the 3.8" drive, pulled on both of them and they clicked at the same time, no matter which setting they were both on.

Thanks Keith... fortunately there is a Harbor Freight store within four miles of work here, so at lunch today I will check it out...

Will let you know how it pans out.

Thanks again for the input.

No one likes electronic torque wrenches? I use a Gearwrench electronic. I have a Sidchrome beam wrench but the little pin sticks or otherwise plays up.

Linz :)

Well, picked up the Harbor Freight model you suggested... will test it out this weekend on the oil and filter change... got the torque specs from Jim Von Baden and should be all set. Thanks again for the info guys.

Chris

No one likes electronic torque wrenches? I use a Gearwrench electronic.

Sure.....if you can find me a good one for $15 ;)

I just bought the Sears Craftsman which works fine but wow the HF is sure a lot less money.

I shudda............

Archived