IGNORED

Is the Motorrad II the same as the Zumo?

BeemerLover

BeemerLover

I searched for Motoraad II in this forum and got over 800 responses. Scanning those, I couldn't find the answer to this...... Something tells me it is made by Garmin but does not have the exact same feature set as the Zumo...

Thanks,

I searched for Motoraad II in this forum and got over 800 responses. Scanning those, I couldn't find the answer to this...... Something tells me it is made by Garmin but does not have the exact same feature set as the Zumo...

Thanks,

Yep -- BMW has, for several generations now, always had an equivalent to the current Garmin, e.g., Navigator II(I?)=Streetpilot 2610, Navigator III=Streetpilot 2810, BMW Zumo=Zumo 550. I wouldn't be surprised to see a BMW XXX=Zumo 660 some time this year.
I know it won't have XM radio because of bmw and sirrius agreement before the merger.

Not true anymore. While BMW had a sole-source contract/alliance with Sirius, since the merger XM is "ok", and the BMW firmware for at least the latest units is being/has been updated to allow the units to recognize the XM receiver/antenna puck (my understanding is that the BMW Zumo firmware update already is out).

The big question is whether the speculated-soon-to-arrive BMW version of the Zumo 660 will have XM access, since the Zumo 660 today does not. I suspect that it might well have access, because my marketing-conspiracy side thinks that Garmin deliberately left XM out of the 660 solely for the purpose of helping sell the last of the Zumo 550 stocks. I'd wager at least a burger and fries that we'll see XM capability magically appear in a 660 firmware update later this year or early next.

Early versions of the BMW labeled Zumo 550 were not able to receive zumo unit software updates. IIRC you could BUY updates at the dealer, while they are free for Zumo units.

BUT, this may have changed.

Go to zumoforums.com and ask over there.

IIRC you could BUY updates at the dealer, while they are free for Zumo units.

Not sure about this -- all of my Navigators (I, II, III) were updated free by download whenever Garmin released BMW-specific versions of the corresponding Streetpilot updates. Worth checking for the Zumo -- I believe they are also free.

Archived