IGNORED

Proper aiming for driving lights?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I've got some PIAAs on the new GS, but I think they are pencil driving lights and not fog lights. I like running them all the time to be conspicuous, but don't know a good rule of thumb for proper alignment. I guess I can take it into the street after dark (like now?) and give it a go by trial and error. Are there any guidelines, like, 30' from a wall the driving lights should have the center of the beam at XX feet above the ground and spread YY feet off of center?

My LightForce Striker 170s came with some instructions, but I can't get my hands on them right now. Regardless, getting them set how I wanted took some trial and error. I went behind a local supermarket to find a large level surface next to a big wall so I could aim and tinker. I set mine just a tiny bit higher than the low beam, with the right pointing out to the right shoulder slightly more than the left points toward the lane line. Works well for me. I run 'em nearly all the time and I never get flashed by oncoming traffic.

My spots come on with high beam so other traffic is not an issue. I am the LH spot at the right side and RH spot at the left. This gives me an area in front of the bike lit by both lights where the beams cross.

Andy

I have Motolights and they are adjusted straight ahead. My primary reason for having aux lights is to be conspicuous and they are on all the time. They are wide round beam 35W (low wattage) and don't blind folks all that much. They work.

I believe the best aim is slightly side to side (7-10 degrees) and as level as possible without blinding folks. This should light the twisties best. If you don't care about lighting the twisties, you might as well aim them down. But not so far down as to blind you with white.

I have the PIAA lights mounted under the grill of my R1100RT and actually went out last night in the dark to re-aim them. Standing out in front of my bike at various distances told me that they are so stinkin bright that straight ahead, a little up, a little down, didn't really seem to matter!

Archived