IGNORED

Autocom PTT switch

mikeR1100R

mikeR1100R

I would really like to buy a PTT switch for my Autocom Active Plus system. I understand that Autocom is revamping their US importing arrangement. The part number is (or used to be) 1457. Does anyone know of a dealer who may still have this in stock? It is apparently on backorder. I would like to have it before the UNrally. Thanks in advance for any help.

Autocom is now distributed and supported in the US via MDE (866) 951-5550

Autocom will have a new US website within 4 weeks that will list all of our US dealers, plus we will be establishing up to 6 US distributors in all, providing the very best local dealer supply and support that we can.

Autocom UK Tom

Tom, as and Autocom user (6 systems) this is indeed good news but honestly, it is much delayed. There are many people out there who have switched FROM Autocom due to lack of parts/support. I indeed hope you can recover.

Johnit thank you, and as you know we are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

I assure you that as a designer and manufacturer I do like to produce and sell my products, and I certainly did not plan or intend for this to happen, and indeed did what I could to avoid it, but sometimes things just don’t go the way you want. On the other hand the distributor and some dealers had stocks to support the US for a while and we wanted to support their close out, during which time we did offer to support the US with any parts and technical support where they could not be found, which we have done.

It took me 16 years of hard work to get Autocom where it got to (before this blip) and during that time it could easily have got much further. The difference now is that I have ten times the experience, so while we have lost some ground in the short term, we intend making far more up over the coming years, which means one thing, customers can expect the very best from us.

You are right that others have tried to take advantage of our temporary disadvantage, but you know what, I tend to think and work harder when I have to, and this time has allowed me to do just that. So I consider this the beginning of our next adventure and will have fun working hard to get it to five or ten times what it was before. Hindsight and experience!

As I drive or ride up the road I see two things, customers like you who are enjoying my products, and potential customers who have yet to experience them.

When I consider just how many people in the UK and Europe buy my products every year it makes me realise just what the majority of the US market had been missing, plus the potential in the US with 300m people most of whom have never even heard of our brand, so rest assured we will be doing what we can to get to them and support them well.

We are already seeing many of the customers you mention that have switched, coming back, having missed us so much, as I expect you can imagine.

Watch this space.

Just an FYI. After installing the Autocom PTT switch, I found it to be too bulky for me. So I replaced it with a cheap $13 waterproof PTT that's attached with one zip-tie. No need to remove the switch cluster for installation. Works really well but may be a bit of a reach for some. Of course you lose the Autocom PTT toggle switch for B2B VOX and constant on, but I never used those features anyway.

002.jpg

003.jpg

NJRT, does the plug on this PTT interface directly into the Autocom unit? Any mods required? Exactly what type of plug does the switch utilize? And...where did you buy it?

Autocom is now distributed and supported in the US via MDE (866) 951-5550

Autocom will have a new US website within 4 weeks that will list all of our US dealers, plus we will be establishing up to 6 US distributors in all, providing the very best local dealer supply and support that we can.

Autocom UK Tom

Tom, rather than the promises we have been hearing since 1-2009, please elaborate some.

1) Will we still be able to order directly from a US distributor (online) or will we be required to buy only from a (ugh) local dealer?

2) Still no US website--what will be the product line-up for the US ?

Thanks.

You basically cut off the Autocom PTT switch from the Autocomm PTT cable and then solder in the new PTT switch.

This guy gives excellent details on how he soldered in his PTT (different PTT than what I used) and mounts it on the clutch. I used the same procedure but for a RocketMate PTT.

Wire splicing instructions here....

http://www.ebbo.org/autocom_ptt_mod.php

RocketMate PTT info here....

https://www.hitechwireless.com/RocketMate-PTT-button-for-handlebars-P508C177.aspx

RocketMate PTT Modifications ...

Cut off the small yellow DIN connector from the RocketMate PTT cable. Solder the green and yellow wires (going from memory on the wire colors here -please check with continuity tester to be sure) to Autocom PTT cable (red and black wires -black wire is really a small heat shrink tube on a bare wire soldered to the shielding in cable i.e. the bare wire in the website picture). The blue wire from the Autocom PTT cable is not used. As in the website pic, cover the blue wire with heat shrink an fold out of the way. Cover entire splice with heat shrink tubing.

On RocketMatee PTT switch: Remove the plastic retainer that holds the velcro strap (2 phillips head screws on bottom). Throw away velcro strap. Insert a Zip-Tie between the rubber switch and it's plastic base. Replace plastic retainer. Zip-Tie PTT to handlebar. Much stronger and cleaner looking than the velcro strap.

Bob; I notice you are in Charlotte NC, which is where I fly in to go to the MOA rally to support one of my new US Distributors. My distributors are there to distribute and support their regional dealers, who are there to supply and support their local customers. We are taking this opportunity to reach out to customers and dealers and let everyone know what we are doing. So thank you for this opportunity to explain it here, but hopefully I will see you at the Johnson City show while I personally help everyone that I can, and maybe we can chat over a nice cool beer (that you are welcome to buy for me) about how we can make the world a better place.

Autocom UK Tom

You basically cut off the Autocom PTT switch from the Autocomm PTT cable and then solder in the new PTT switch.

This guy gives excellent details on how he soldered in his PTT (different PTT than what I used) and mounts it on the clutch. I used the same procedure but for a RocketMate PTT.

https://www.hitechwireless.com/RocketMate-PTT-button-for-handlebars-P508C177.aspx

Cut off the small yellow DIN connector from the RocketMate PTT cable. Solder the green and yellow wires (going from memory on the wire colors here -please check with continuity tester to be sure) to Autocom PTT cable (red and black wires -black wire is really a small heat shrink tube on a bare wire soldered to the shielding in cable i.e. the bare wire in the website picture). The blue wire from the Autocom PTT cable is not used. As in the website pic, cover the blue wire with heat shrink an fold out of the way. Cover entire splice with heat shrink tubing.

On RocketMatee PTT switch: Remove the plastic retainer that holds the velcro strap (2 phillips head screws on bottom). Throw away velcro strap. Insert a Zip-Tie between the rubber switch and it's plastic base. Replace plastic retainer. Zip-Tie PTT to handlebar. Much stronger and cleaner looking than the velcro strap.

Great info---thanks!! The Autocom PTT switch does not stand the test of time for me. 2 years and the contacts are sporadic in making contact, plus there is no "tactile detent" to let you know when the switch is pushed in far enough to make contact. I'll get out my soldering gun.

Bob, I am the UK manufacturer, not the US distributor. I can give you technical help with the products. What I can say is that the forth batch of new stocks are being dispatched from the UK factory to the US on Monday, and should go through US customs without delays, but if not, that wouldn’t be a first! Then from the distributor/s (who distribute) it will go to the retailers, who will be listed only when they have stocks. (About 70 or so have agreed so far) and we don’t want to list any dealers who are not stocked.

Please be patient, we are working as fast as we can, (really) and most of the dealers we have spoken to are as keen as you. Only a few days to the MOA and as you said; promises, promises. You know what, sometimes even with all the best intention in the world, WE sometimes have to rely on others.

Why not try calling (866) 951 5550

Regards

Autocom UK Tom

Don’t worry Bob, I am sure you will be able to buy on-line if you can’t get out to an Autocom approved store.

I just hope that if you ever have any problems you will be able to figure it out on-line as well as you could if you go in to you local supplier who can provide you with expert face to face hands on help, with you, the products, helmets and bike all to hand. For the dealer to be able to inspect and test and help you set it up and use it right, so that you can experience and enjoy the FULL benefits that our products are designed to provide, together with the quality service and support that our experienced local suppliers have to offer. Of course 70 dealers is just the beginning and we are hoping to build this to maybe as much as 700 over the coming years, so that you and everyone else should not have to travel so far for this great service.

Autocom UK Tom

Don't overtighten the Zip-Tie as it will distort the seal of the rubber "housing" where it butts up against the plastic base, thus allowing water into the PTT switch

Joe Frickin' Friday
Just an FYI. After installing the Autocom PTT switch, I found it to be too bulky for me. So I replaced it with a cheap $13 waterproof PTT that's attached with one zip-tie. No need to remove the switch cluster for installation. Works really well but may be a bit of a reach for some.

No problem with bulk, no problem with reach:

581633988_gB893-L.jpg

581633957_tZVi4-L.jpg

581633931_Kj52T-L.jpg

581634008_2w48J-L.jpg

Don’t worry Bob, I am sure you will be able to buy on-line if you can’t get out to an Autocom approved store.

I just hope that if you ever have any problems you will be able to figure it out on-line as well as you could if you go in to you local supplier who can provide you with expert face to face hands on help, with you, the products, helmets and bike all to hand. For the dealer to be able to inspect and test and help you set it up and use it right, so that you can experience and enjoy the FULL benefits that our products are designed to provide, together with the quality service and support that our experienced local suppliers have to offer. Of course 70 dealers is just the beginning and we are hoping to build this to maybe as much as 700 over the coming years, so that you and everyone else should not have to travel so far for this great service.

Autocom UK Tom

Tom, lots of us on this board are DIY'er's. I, for one, try to avoid letting a dealer of any sort lay a hand on any of my bikes. Your products, so far, have all been pretty much plug-and-play for me. If I ever had an issue with Autocom's, I could always solve it with the hands-on knowledge available thru this forum.

But I do like the idea of having 700 dealers--competition in a free-market society and all, ya know? (if it manages to stay that way :eek: )

Mitch, like it, can you PM me your details as I may have customers who want these

Autocom UK Tom

Mitch--great idea. Tom, sure would be nice if you could engineer in a "tactile detent" to the PTT so you can tell when the contacts touch. I am getting "PTT THUMB" (new ailment) from having to apply 30 lbs of pressure every time I transmit--just to make sure my transmission isn't broken up. And now even THAT doesn't seem to be working!

Bill_Walker
Tom, sure would be nice if you could engineer in a "tactile detent" to the PTT so you can tell when the contacts touch. I am getting "PTT THUMB" (new ailment) from having to apply 30 lbs of pressure every time I transmit--just to make sure my transmission isn't broken up. And now even THAT doesn't seem to be working!

There IS a detent, but I'll agree that you sure can't feel it with gloves on. I can feel it bare-handed, but it's pretty faint. I like these solutions that I'm seeing here, as I, too, always leave the radio on PTT rather than VOX.

Tom, sure would be nice if you could engineer in a "tactile detent" to the PTT so you can tell when the contacts touch. I am getting "PTT THUMB" (new ailment) from having to apply 30 lbs of pressure every time I transmit--just to make sure my transmission isn't broken up. And now even THAT doesn't seem to be working!

There IS a detent, but I'll agree that you sure can't feel it with gloves on. I can feel it bare-handed, but it's pretty faint. I like these solutions that I'm seeing here, as I, too, always leave the radio on PTT rather than VOX.

Mine have an audible "click" if you put your ear up to one, but there is no tactile feel to it for me, gloves or not. Maybe the gold plating could be increased by a micron or so. I talk a lot. :/

I have a similar solution as Mitch. Both mine use the mirror post location. One with a post and one with a clamp for the mirror stem. I use the extra mirrors on a trip. Right now its setup for the MOA rally. I did not paint them. The one is S.S. and the other is Alum. I also use a bolt instead of velcro and point it towards the rider. I use my thumb to activate. Works out pretty good.

DSCN1914.jpg

DSCN1912.jpg

Everyone to their own!

I find that with my hand on the bar, my thumb is underneath the handlebar grip, so that’s where I designed the switch to go. Admittedly it works on some handlebars better than others, especially those that have a large amount of rubber grip expanding up the switchgear. But I have seen some people cut the rubber grip back so that the PTT switch sits flat against the left handlebar switch housing, so it’s less in the way. Also rotate our PTT switch (from underneath the bar) forwards so that your thumb sits more naturally on it when in use. Just make sure it is not in the way of the clutch lever when pulled in.

I agree that we should be able to do something to make the PTT feel, feel better and will look into it, but to be honest I have had more important things to do lately. It will be on THE TO DO BOARD in R&D on Monday morning.

If you want to send me a VOTE, who wants just PTT and who likes the toggle switch for PTT/VOX, it will help us to decide what to build and provide for what people want.

Quote;

But I do like the idea of having 700 dealers--competition in a free-market society and all, ya know? (if it manages to stay that way

Bob, I’m all for competition, but not for competing with myself, only with competitors. Many customers need expert support for local experienced dealers, sometimes at point of sale and sometimes after.

The US people could buy direct from the UK, but they don’t want to, most choosing to wait for a US distributor/dealer network to be in place so that they know they have local supply and support, so dealers are very important to me and to most of my customers.

I realise many bikers have cleaver hands, after all I’m an example of that myself. But many people want to see and try Autocom before they buy and believe it or not, we do actually sell to others outside of the BMW market (in which many people don’t need to see or try Autocom because in the BMW world Autocom is already well known and perhaps the number one system to have).

I personally have invested considerably into our special introductory discount offer for the launch of the new products, so if it’s a bargain you’re after, grab it now, before I put the prices back up where the should be in relation to the true product value.

Autocom UK Tom

... and believe it or not, we do actually sell to others outside of the BMW market ...

Autocom UK Tom

Really? You're kidding, right? :grin:

Looking forward to a better PTT. And actually the "detent" isn't as important as the contacts actually *making contact* consistently without 30 ft/lbs of torque. (I know it worked ok new, but now 2 years old not working very well. I have 3 and all are the same).

And my vote is for the toggle switch to remain.

And Tom, thanks for being accessible! :wave:

Bob,

It’s only because of two way communications that we can talk, and torque leads to us getting things tighter right! Maybe you’ve been pressing the PTT to hard, and you know that invalidates the warranty!

Thanks for your VOTE. You know with such a good VOX you don’t even need to use the PTT unless you can help yourself singing to Donny Osmond songs and broadcasting PAIN to the world. Ever been on America’s got idol?

Autocom UK Tom

For those who prefer PTT to VOX is there any chance of a switch that would handle phone and intercom as well as radio functions?

Well if we get to vote! I'd vote for the toggle switch to remain. While I don't often use the VOX or continuous transmit positions, I have on occasion, and I believe I would miss it if it wasn’t there.

ISFA the light detent, that part has never bothered me. But then my FRS radio is within my sight, so I can see when it’s transmitting. I wonder about how well we could feel any real detent through gloves anyway?

I like the toggle vox. On straight roads I use the PTT. On twisty roads I put it on vox so I can talk to others without having to push the button. There are too many other things to do on twisty roads than worry about the button.

My PTT is easy to push to talk.

I vote NO VOX switch or modified location VOX switch. I ride mostly two up with two other couples and don't want to be in VOX B2B mode accidentally if you know what I mean. If the switch was located away from the PTT button to prevent accidental pushing of the toggle, that would be a nice feature.

However I do wish Autocom had a remote variable VOX sensitivy control that could be mounted on the handlebar. I find it very inconvenient when it's very windy and I'm on the open highway, that we have to get off the bike and adjust the VOX gain on the Active Plus. Then readjust when we are on less windy backroads. It also seems to drift with temperature change and when my Motorola radio is being used. As the temperature increases in the afternoon, so does the VOX gain.

Would be great to be able to adjust the VOX gain on the fly somehow. Just my wish item!

Thanks!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, like it, can you PM me your details as I may have customers who want these

As it turns out, I wasn't real pleased with the stability of it; the 3M Dualock stuff allowed too much tipping of the switch. (I'm being fussy here; the functionality was absolutely fine, but the flexy feel of it just felt "low quality" to me.)

I modified the design and made a wider platform (see pic, bottom of this post). Haven't tried it yet, but I'm expecting that the Dualock applied over the much wider base will result in less tipping of the PTT assembly when the button is pressed.

The post is 0.46" diameter, 1.25" tall, and is welded to the bottom of the platform, centered on the crosshairs. I made my post/platform out of stainless steel and did most of the weld without filler; any significant weld bead will interfere with the hole/housing on the handlebar. Alternatively I suppose you could drill the platform & post and assemble them with a screw.

The bottom end of the post is drilled/tapped with an M8 thread; I am using a button head cap screw to retain the assembly on the handlebar.

As mentioned, I made this post to 0.46" diameter. The first one was 0.475", and I added a layer of powdercoat on top of that (final OD probably 0.480-0.482); I found that it got bound up in the hole when I attempted to tilt it to the correct angle for inserting the retention bolt (this explains the "precision grinding" marks on the post of the first piece :grin:). 0.46" gives plenty of clearance. If you want to avoid any lathe work, you could just buy 7/16" roundstock (or 11mm), which is 0.4375" (0.433"); you'll just need to be sure your bolt hole is drilled as close to on-center as possible. A narrower post like this would also mean you are free to apply a taller weld bead if desired.

Edit: Oh yeah, the platform is 1/8" thick stainless.

4560.gif.072e62efeea2f3a5d4f3637b2bbbf7c4.gif

CruisinCruzan

I like the option, when traveling with my wife and other couples use PTT, when traveling solo with friends use VOX.

2 or three very nice mounting options in this thread. I don't plan to use the PTT option much, so I (gasp :eek: )zip-tied it to the left hand grip, ran the wire under the instrument cluster and into the right front of the tankbag where the Autocom lives. It took all of 5 minutes. I will just remove the whole switch when I am not using it. I don't have too many options on my R. The very brief instruction leaflet that came with the switch actually shows a picture of it mounted on the left hand grip.

I also vote against the PTT/VOX switch.

Archived