IGNORED

GPS Mounting Advice Please

gmarktbone

gmarktbone

I am looking for a suitable mount for my GPS on my RT. I have been looking at the Migsel mounts, and they seem to fit my needs pretty well. But, before I buy this for $100, has anyone had success just mounting a Ram ball on the black plastic part of the fairing? Would this do any harm? Does anyone have any other suggestions for mounting a GPS on this bike? What about the RCU accessory shelf-I've heard they vibrate too much to do any real good.

Any advice will be appreciated...

I mounted mine to an aluminum bar where the migsell mount goes. It works well, it does shake a bit on rough roads. I think I have a second one I made you are more than welcome to try it and see if it fits your needs. Pictures are in this thread Link to thread

If you want to try it out PM me and I will see if I still have one in my garage.

Mine's attached to a RAM ball that mounts atop the clutch resevoir cover. Works great for me; easy to see and reach and doesn't interfere with anything.

Mark,

A buddy of mine is selling a GPS mount that goes in the "spare" hole (where you can put the GS mirrors) on an R1150RT handgrip assembly. It is a well made, and I belive expensive piece of kit but he is selling it for about $30 bucks as he sold his RT. Unfortunately, he's riding in AK at the moment and won't be back for a couple of weeks. If you aren't in a hurry, I can get a photo to you when he gets back. I actually thought about it for my RT but I don't have any "stuff" to put on it at the moment :(

I am looking for a suitable mount for my GPS on my RT. I have been looking at the Migsel mounts, and they seem to fit my needs pretty well. But, before I buy this for $100, has anyone had success just mounting a Ram ball on the black plastic part of the fairing? Would this do any harm? Does anyone have any other suggestions for mounting a GPS on this bike? What about the RCU accessory shelf-I've heard they vibrate too much to do any real good.

Any advice will be appreciated...

Mark, what type/brand of GPS are you mounting? Some fit/mount better in some mounting locations than others..

Twisty

Bill_Walker

Gadget Guy mount for me. Pricey, but worth it, especially if you were progressive lens glasses, as I do. I found the original between-the-bars mount hid the GPS behind my tank bag, and was too far away from my field of vision. I tried an RCU shelf, and found that while the GPS was in my field of vision, it was too close, and I had to tilt my head back to bring it into focus with the reading portion of my lenses. The GG mount puts it high up but far enough away to be readable (nearly on the same plane as the stock gauges), and is much more solid than the RCU shelf.

Mark:

I'll sumarize about the 1150RT mount from previous posts and also look at this thread Post your 1150RT gps mount pics :

• The 1150RT faring is different then the 1100 and shelves like the RCU bounce around more
  • The Migsel and GadgetGuy mounts are more stable because they attach to the faring subframe or windscreen lift frame
  • The type of windscreen and tankbag you have may limit the type of mount
  • Anything that mounts outside center of the cockpit on the handlebars will usually run into either tankbag or windscreen before full steering lock
  • Anything that mounts center handlebars interferes with the instruments and maybe tankbag
  • Wiring options may present even more problems
  • The size and style of your GPS may also favor one more then another mount, the Zumo and 2600 series are pretty heavy and require stable mounts

I initially used a small GPS mounted to a RAM ball off my left handlebar, power from powered tankbag. It worked very well. I changed to a Zumo last year and a BigMak bag. I tried an RCU shelf and it was too unstable. Settled on the GadgetGuy mount with power directly through faring and it is much better. BigMak bag doesn't run into it, I can see all the instruments and it only bounces around on rough roads. Plus I can mount another small device (XM radio or radar detector) if I want.

Mike Cassidy

gmarktbone

This is why I love this forum. I appreciate all the suggestions. I use a TomTom One, 3rd edition-I know it's not a zumo, but it works well, and it's cheap. (I didn't realize when I bought this bike 2 years ago that I would spend the rest of my life buying accessories). I would prefer one that keeps it in the field of vision such as the Migsel, GG, or RCU. I saw a Gadget Guy mount on a bike like mine today, and it looks cool, but it is small, I wonder how easy it is to expand and add other things later... I like the ram-mount products, so I might go with something that can allow for that such as a Migsel or RCU. I have a couple of other products I would like to add later.

It is possible to mount the standard RAM "handlebar" mount to an RT. I have one mounted on the right side of mine. By the "handlebar" mount I mean the one that uses a U-shaped piece with two nuts on it.

It's a tight fit, but it will work. There are numerous other solutions as others have already posted, but I thought I'd add mine in case someone is wondering if an existing handlebar mount will work; it will. The mount in the photo below is holding an XM radio I used for awhile.

2971232060061932057S600x600Q85.jpg

Vicious_Cycler

I really like the Migsel. It looks stock, doesn't move w/ the bars, amd has room for 3 rams

rt1150gps01.jpg

Here's mine on my 1100.....

Its the lower ignition switch housing from a Harley Ultra Classic, turned upside down and trimmed to fit....

GPS is almost in line of sight, 4 accessory switches, and the head for my UHF mounted to the underside...

DSCF0208.jpg

dc

I made this mount from what I had seen on a friend's bike. I believe he bought his from somehere in the USA.

Mine has a stainless steel T bracket behind the dash to support the mounting on the front using the original screws and holes in the dash-panel cover. It is finished in black powder coating.

If you have access to some general engineering equipment, you can put one together in a few hours.

Whatever mount you end up with, my advice is to mount the GPS directly in front of you and as high as practical so you don't have to tilt your head to read the GPS. I am not in favour of the mounts that fit onto the top of the steering or ones that mount off to one side as they avert your vision.

586760831_uAsrR-L.jpg

586764106_EBGF2-L.jpg

586760857_Dsgmp-L.jpg

586760866_vjbn5-L.jpg

Jak, please provide a source for the stem mount

Hey Clayton, I have replied to your PM 3 times now and no response...you can email me if you prefer:

jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

Jim

Hello Gentlemen: I thought I'd share the mount that I came across and eventually bought from a company in France--it was listed on eBay. It was very expensive, but of all the mounts I looked at, it was the one that really did what I wanted. My goals were to:

1. Have a clean, almost factory-like installation.

2. Not block other existing instruments.

3. Not interfere with the BMW tank bag for the R1200RT.

4. Sit high up in my line of vision as I look down the road.

5. Not interfere with the operation of my Aeroflow Windshield.

I can send photos so you can see the results, and you can order this unit directly from the company in France using this link:

Toutec.fr

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Bud Reed

4565.jpg.3d31c323ded721bbe362059b0d66ff08.jpg

I tried the RAM mount low and center. It didn't work -- always interfered with the instrumentation, idiot lights or tank bag in some way (especially with the GXM-30). Also, it was too far away from my line of sight.

Just bought a BMW shelf. I'm hoping that will eliminate the above concerns.

Mark, where can one get the Migsel for $100. I think it is the best mount for the R1200RT, but am looking for a better deal!

Thanks

Bill

No idea, Bill. I don't own one.

In case there was confusion, I meant to type 'BMR shelf' instead of 'BMW shelf'........

I just got the BMR shelf and mounted my ZUMO. It's absolutely AWESOME .... but yes, it's probably the most expensive option.

I tried the RAM mount low and center. It didn't work -- always interfered with the instrumentation, idiot lights or tank bag in some way (especially with the GXM-30). Also, it was too far away from my line of sight.

Just bought a BMW shelf. I'm hoping that will eliminate the above concerns.

How do you reach the the zumo to operate when it's located up on the dash? I am always using the touch screen on mine, I like it within easy reach (not lifting my butt off the seat ). I just did 3000 mile tour in 8 days with this set up. Works for me. When seated on bike the top of the zumo comes to the bottom of instruments and is out of way of tank bag. The touch screen is within reach.

tankbag1.jpg

Well I can't figure out how to post pictures of this, but I mounted two ram balls in the screw holes where an RCU shelf would normally go (along with another drilled hole below for end of the ram ball base). They work perfectly and have eliminated the need for another $100 farkle for the bike.

I just got the BMR shelf and mounted my ZUMO. It's absolutely AWESOME .... but yes, it's probably the most expensive option.
The bracket from GadgetGuy.net will run close to $300, (Ouch). Have you seen any vibration with the BMR Co-Pilot or is it rock solid?
Mark, where can one get the Migsel for $100. I think it is the best mount for the R1200RT, but am looking for a better deal!

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

I've just found a similar mount to the Migsel from Wunderlich which mounts on the top of the R1200RT dash.

It doesn't appear to be in any of their catalogues that I can find but is for sale on http://www.bmwbikebits.co.uk/ for £59.95 part #8600887

8600887_12RT_a.jpg

der Wanderer

I like the Migsel mounts' looks, and think I am going to buy one... but there are two of them, one with RAM and one with a plate. The plate one looks more professional I think, but is twice as expensive.

Who has which, and how do you like them?

Thanks!!!

The bracket from GadgetGuy.net will run close to $300, (Ouch). Have you seen any vibration with the BMR Co-Pilot or is it rock solid?

It seems like my BMR shelf is vibrating more and more. I am thinking of building some kind of support to firm it up.

That one looks very nice. I like the Migsel mount, but it's very expensive. I will look a little more into this one, thanks.

It seems like my BMR shelf is vibrating more and more. I am thinking of building some kind of support to firm it up.

That's interesting. I've put 20k or so on mine and it's quite solid. I only have the zumo, nothing else.

Ditto on the Gadget Guy mount. I put on on for the trip to the MOA rally and it was rock solid and in just the right place to both see and to operate while on the fly (not supposed to do that, I know). Pricey yes, but worth the money INMHO.

...but there are two of them, one with RAM and one with a plate. The plate one looks more professional I think, but is twice as expensive.

Who has which, and how do you like them?

I had the standard Migsel on my 1150RT, when I bought the 1200RT, I ordered the only mount they had at the time for the 1200RT (the one without plate). Since the only device I own is my Zumo, it works perfectly for me. I don't like the GPS down near the gas tank area like some here do, and for me a shelf is overkill, so the Migsel fits the bill. I like it a lot and I honestly don't think it's any less professional with just the bar. I do think it looks more professional than a lot of shelves, but then you really can't see a lot of shelves because by the time people go that route, they have more gadgets and fill it up pretty quickly. ;)

From the photos it looks like you simply get more adjustability and don't have the RAM mount ball. Not sure I would spend the extra money just for that.

Wayne

Archived