IGNORED

SW Moto Tires... how times have changed...

smiller

For those (like me) who were still reflexively ordering from Sw Moto Tires I would advise checking around. I just did (SW Moto, Derby, Motorcycle Superstore, and E-Moto) and noticed that SW Moto wasn't only no longer the cheapest but now were the most expensive! Looks like the new owners don't have quite the same pricing pholosophy as Blaine (enjoy that beach dude.) E-Moto (also in Tuscon) had the best prices and from what I hear they're associated with Iron Horse so you also get to support a dealer (kind of) so they seem to be the new shop of choice, for me anyway. I know this is kinda old news but just thought I'd mention it again...

I have in the past ordered from American Mototire in AZ... Shipping is reasonable, fast and never had a proble mafter 6 sets of tires, but I admit I havent shopped their price in a year or so.

JT

Marty Hill

Emoto is Iron Horse BMW. Great folks! They have the prices and service that SWMOTO used to have. This is a rerun of a thread from 2 weeks ago.

I haven’t used SW Moto in a while now (since he sold out to the local dealer),, as you mentioned the prices have gone way up..

I can’t say I have found any one place that has great deals across the board though.. I just shop around & buy from whoever is cheaper on whatever tire (or tires) I need at the moment.. Just bought a set of off-road knobbies for my dirt bike from Super Store & they came from the same tire wholesaler as the last ones I bought from SW Moto.. Most places just drop ship now anyhow so one place seems to be as good as the next so it is a price only thing for me now..

Twisty

RBertalotto

Bike Bandit..........You get 10% off with AMA membership. They have HUGE inventory. Even BMW parts now. I ordered a set of tires on Sunday afternoon and they were at my house on Tuesday AM. And they ship tires in a box...Nice!

Yeeha! Stephen
Bike Bandit..........You get 10% off with AMA membership. They have HUGE inventory. Even BMW parts now. I ordered a set of tires on Sunday afternoon and they were at my house on Tuesday AM. And they ship tires in a box...Nice!

Hey! No fair!

Mine came between two pieces of cardboard with plastic binding straps around them.

Who do I see?

just yanking your chain... ;)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

SWMototires put me on their dealer email list when the dealer took over. I consider that unsolicited email since I NEVER, EVER received anything but confirmations from them previously.

Perhaps they didn't understand the following the SWMototires had. I say had because it does indeed seem like people are leaving them for other companies. It's too bad when "new owners" don't understand the business like the "old owners" did.

Yep. I just ordered two sets of PR2's from derbycycles. Ordered the Pirelli MT21's for the Yamaha from Amazon.com!

I know this is kinda old news but just thought I'd mention it again...

Glad you did; recently ordered tires from them (same tire I've been running for two years) & was somewhat surprised by the price. More out of curiousity (& after the fact :( ) I checked around & confirmed SWMOTO no longer "always" the best deal.

I'll miss the ease of automatically ordering from them.

I just ordered a set of PR2's tires from SWMOTO and they were the cheapest that I could find and they were responsive to my inquiries. This was my first time dealing with the company. I was put off by the no phone contact though.

Sailorlite

I haven't fully figured out the economics of retailing motorcycle tires, but this is one area where the "local" shop can be very competitive with the online dealers.

For my present tires, PR2's, I phoned my local independent shop for a quote and their price was better than SWMoto's. That, plus one hour's labor for a ride-in 2-tire mount and balance. In addition, they had the right equipment and knew what they were doing. One of my best motorcycle expenditures I think.

However, my next tire replacement is going to be even better because I happened to win a pair of PR2's at my dealer's recent open house raffle!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I just ordered a set of PR2's tires from SWMOTO and they were the cheapest that I could find and they were responsive to my inquiries. This was my first time dealing with the company. I was put off by the no phone contact though.

This was the essence of the best deal. You order online. You get an email stating the tires were ordered and shipped. The tires show up in a day or two. This minimized the cost of answering questions from people who were "shopping" or wanted "special tires." If it wasn't on the site, they didn't have them, and the price shown was the price paid. In the years that I ordered tires from them, I never had a problem (the shipping company constantly delivered to the wrong house, but my neighbor knows who get the tires now.)

SWMoto had the best prices because the overhead was low and the people who worked there could focus on getting the tires shipped instead of the other stuff. The one time I did call (number on the receipt) about a "missing" shipment, they were more than responsive.

So far, I'm not terribly impressed with the changes and will probably start looking elsewhere for tires.

Purchased a set of Continental TKC 80's for my GS from SW Moto a month or so ago,normal(free)fast shipment.

Prices were competitive,but all sources seemed to be within a few bucks of each other,so no big savings.

Would still shop there again.

JR356

+2 for E-Moto. I just ordered from them, they were about $30.00 less money than SW Moto. Got a call the next day from the parts manager at Iron Horse, telling me there would be a delay of 2-3 days in shipping and wanted to be sure that was all right with me. Really nice guy on the telephone, I told him no hurry, I just wanted a pair in stock because I was going to need them before next month. I really thought that the telephone call was excellent customer service.

Steve

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I just made an order for tires for the KTM.

2 tires shipped to my house were within $3 of each other from E-Moto, American Mototire, and SWMototires. I could get them in about a week from Motorcycle Superstore for $10 less.

I'm not in a hurry, but I chose SWMototires anyway. Why not? They've always been good to me in the past, and I'm pretty sure they won't ever email me another unsolicited message.

Archived