IGNORED

Sound Integrator Headset/Mic Issues

Twisties

We have Starcom1 Integrators and at 2 years of service we think the base units are generally worthy. We switched from helmet speakers to noise isolating earphones in fall '07 using the Starcom PP-04 microphone and cable.

pp-04.jpg

This cable is equipped with a standard female 3.5 mm stereo jack for earphones and a mini-din for connecting to the integrator, and a microphone. We installed the units in our helmets under the cheekpads using duct tape and leaving about 6 - 12 " of the mini-din and the female 3.5 mm jack dangling free.

585843032_QXhs3-L.jpg

585843051_uwGWm-L.jpg

585843047_gHq4K-L.jpg

The PP-04s have failed repeatedly. I tired of buying new ones after the 4 and 5th set (keeping in mind that 2 are in use at one time) began to go, and wrote Starcom recently. They have been very responsive and I am enjoying working with them, but have some questions for you all.

Tony responded that the female 3.5 mm jack must be installed inside the helmet to prevent exposure to moisture and to prevent strain, stating that the jack is not waterproof.

Ok, ours have been getting wet for sure.

My questions:

I don't see how to put this jack in the helmet, and even if I did I'd have to leave some exposed so the earphone can be plugged in and out. How are other competing units installed? Pics please?

Are competing units waterproof, or must they too be kept dry?

Is there any way to keep the jack dry and still maintain access to plug in the earphones?

Is it reasonable to ask Starcom to ensure the unit is weatherproof and able to withstand the strain of an installation like ours?

Thanks,

Firefight911

I'd tuck it up closer to the helmet but wouldn't worry about it being "inside" the helmet.

Try unscrewing (if possible) the jack receptacle and layering some dielectric grease inside to help repel the water. Also, a bit on the plug (female side) as well should help to expel any excess water.

Otherwise, I am having a difficult time understanding how this is the issue. Baehr, Autocom, et. al. don't seem to be affected in this manner under the same circumstances.

I've got an Autocom and use Arizona Al in-ear plugs (I've cut off the helmet speakers from the headset loom). The Autocom helmet lead hangs about 12 inches out of the helmet. It in turn plugs into another Autocom cable which has an integral "black box" in line. I plug the 3.5 mm male end of Al's plugs into the female receptacle on the "black box". The Autocom cables are quite rugged, including connectors. They're out in the open air and have never caused a problem regardless of the weather (I've had the Autocom since early 2007). I can't see how you'd be able to plug a wire into a lead that's inside your helmet and expect that to be comfortable.

Mark do you have any pics of that? What Autocom product numbers? I've been looking at their site and don't see anything with a "black box"

Appreciate the input!

We also use the AzAl earphones.

Jan, it sounds to me that they have a design problem. If their plug is so sensitive to moisture and strain, it is substandard. Only way I know to work around this would be to either cut and splice a quality cable connector to your head set or get a 1 foot extension of a quality cable and plug it into the starcom and tuck it away in the helmet letting only the quality cable hang down.

Mark do you have any pics of that? What Autocom product numbers? I've been looking at their site and don't see anything with a "black box"

Appreciate the input!

We also use the AzAl earphones.

Jan, I've been looking, but haven't found anything that shows the cables clearly. With the latest 2009 Autocom lineup, they have eliminated the cable with the "black box" and now simply have an alternative headset harness specifically for use with in-ear monitors. It's part #2091 listed under "Popular Optional Accessories". It has two short wires dangling from the helmet, one of which is a 3.5 mm stereo socket to accept the audio cable from in-ear plugs. You can find it here:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/Popular%20Optional%20Accessories.pdf

I don't know whether the older cable is still available.

John,

Aren't you supposed to be on the Continental Divide Trail?

We replaced, or I should say tried to replace, the female 3.5mm jacks on our first two units. Bob (hopz) helped us as it's a delicate soldering job, and he has more experience than we do. However the only Female 3.5 jacks they had at Radio Shack were identical to those used in the original, and they didn't work any better.

I believe it was this part: Link

Anyone know of a better jack somewhere?

Jan, this is the best I could find. The thin wire from Al's plugs is hidden under my jacket and comes out the bottom then runs to the black box half way down the left side of my chest.

IMG_2569.jpg

My third PP-04 has just failed. The last 2 (each lasted 2 months)have not gone through any water and were taped to the main pig tale that exits the helmet to reduce the strain. My main pig tale is slightly shorter than yours. It starts with an intermittent ear when you move your head, and eventually there's no sound coming out of the one ear. There is a inherent design fault in the of the 3.5 mm plug or wiring, and these should not go on the recommended list. Since the helmet speakers work fine, I have reverted back to them.

My third PP-04 has just failed. The last 2 (each lasted 2 months)have not gone through any water and were taped to the main pig tale that exits the helmet to reduce the strain. My main pig tale is slightly shorter than yours. It starts with an intermittent ear when you move your head, and eventually there's no sound coming out of the one ear. There is a inherent design fault in the of the 3.5 mm plug or wiring, and these should not go on the recommended list. Since the helmet speakers work fine, I have reverted back to them.

Would you please let Tecstar know. They are telling me ours are the only known failures. I think they will likely redesign it if they understand the unit is generally problematic. They are very responsive and helpful overall, so I really believe they just don't know the PP-04 is a problem.

Starcom Contact Link

Allen Rowand
Anyone know of a better jack somewhere?

I'd go for the Switchcraft EN3 connector. It's physically locking, o-ring sealed and designed for harsh environments. It's used in marine, communications, medical and other applications that require a small and robust connector. You can get them from mouser.com; this is the product page:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/638/1323.pdf

I would put a female inline connector at the bike and a male cord connector at the helmet. IMHO, this is what should have been fitted in the first place. Using a properly relieved waterproof connector would solve the problem. If you want to have the convenience of a 3.5mm plug for an iPod or whatever, make an additional EN3 to 3.5mm adapter. Easy peasy.

Of course, I've never even seen one of these units so I may be totally wrong. YMMV, no warranty granted or implied!

Good luck,

Allen

Well, we received our new redesigned units today. That was fast!

We'll let you know how they work out after the unrally. They'll have about 8000 miles on them by then.

• 1 month later...
Well, we received our new redesigned units today. That was fast!

We'll let you know how they work out after the unrally. They'll have about 8000 miles on them by then.

Ok, 7000 miles on these redesigned units, working flawlessly.

Archived