IGNORED

Will theses high temps damage my laptop

onmyrt

I'm leaving Oklahoma City on 1 August for a trip up to Seattle, and I need to take my laptop along.

Temps will be reaching 100+ and I'm wondering if that could damage my laptop.

I plan to stow it in my 49L top case.

Any thoughts ?

The issue is the battery - prolonged exposure to high temps reduces overall battery life. A few days in high heat won't really matter overall, but keeping it in 100+ all the time will result in premature battery death.

-MKL

Will it be 100F inside the top case? I say it will likely be much higher. The battery, LCD display would be something I would be concerned about. After that, will the plastic warp? The actual circuits (if not powered) most likely can withstand very very high temps.

Pack the laptop on the very bottom of the 49L case with lots of cloths (insulator) on top and sides to insulate from the suns heat.

You could also add a cold icepack and insulation under it to also help. Store it in a fridge (not freezer) for a few hours before you set out. That might help also. (I've never done this, so keep that in mind too !)

Moshe's in the battery business, so he's as an authoritative source as you're going to find on this board.

I rode to Alaska summer of 2006, with many 90+ and a few 100+ degree days, with an Apple iBook in the black trunk of my Pacific Coast. To my knowledge, the battery performed just as well at the end of the 6 week trip as at the beginning.

That said, laptop batteries (like motorcycle batteries) have been known to fail with little or no warning, and carrying a spare is a good idea. If you have the luxury of allowing the laptop to cool down before using/charging it, that might help. Keep in mind that "normal" operational temperatures inside a laptop may be 100-120°, so as long as it isn't running, it's not likely to get any hotter in your luggage than if you were using it. However, starting up a machine that is already at 120° might briefly increase the temperature still further.

Chilling would make me worry about condensation when the machine warms up -- moisture is bad. Wrapping in clothing or a towel is a good idea for both temp and vibration control.

A quick check of Apple specs shows a storage temp upper limit of 113 deg. If you tuck it inside your clothes etc, nicely insulated, you should be fine. I would definitely not refrigerate it.

I did 4000 miles last summer in August from Ohio to El Paso. External temps reached 105F and 115 on my RT display.

I have been carrying a laptop in my 49 for a number of years with no problems at all. Probably 10k total with laptop.

I would be way more worried about vibration.

I have a leather laptop attache that I wrap in a couple of towels and it has been absolutely fine.

Put a thermometer in the bag you plan on storing it on the bike and see what it says. Assuming it's hot now where you live.

Don't chill the unit! That would be a disaster once it warmed up and got condensation inside. Not sure if your laptop's PCBs are conformal coated, and if not, and water gets on there, you'll be in trouble.

I agree with the general consensus here that you will be just fine. I ride with my laptop strapped in its soft case in my topcase nearly every day, and never had a problem.

My original post regarding batteries and heat is measured in years, so I didn't mean to raise alarm. In my field where we use sealed maintenance free batteries (as likely in your motorcycle) they are routinely rated for lifecycle at a steady +25C, so you can compare apples to apples. A standard cheap generic battery will last 3-5 years on average at this temp. At +50C constant, you barely get 18 months. That's where I was going with this, not to imply your short trip would have any real consequences.

-MKL

You should be fine. Had one laptop for about 5 years, that lived in a black vehicle, it saw temps over 100 each summer.

If you want to play it safe, check the storage specs from the manufacturer. They only time I worry about temperature is when taking a laptop in from an extended period in extreme cold, since condensation is not your friend.

Chilling would make me worry about condensation when the machine warms up -- moisture is bad. Wrapping in clothing or a towel is a good idea for both temp and vibration control.

Good advise!Don't do it. I once brought a TV inside from the car parked outside on a cold Canadian winter's day. Against the advise of my SO, I plugged her in after about 10 min of warming up. Poof, that's all she wrote.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Carried an apple PB100 then 140 for several years in KZ1000 saddle bags all day long. Some of the RTP work riders might chime in here soon with a comparison to newer laptops and any screen or battery issues they've encountered.

Police radios are in the radio box of RTP's 24/7 so there's an electronics analog.

If there's enough other stuff in the bag, the interior temperature is less due to greater thermal mass. More stuff and less air. Let it exchange air and cool off when refueling or taking a break.

Good advise!Don't do it. I once brought a TV inside from the car parked outside on a cold Canadian winter's day. Against the advise of my SO, I plugged her in after about 10 min of warming up. Poof, that's all she wrote.

Yes, condensation on circuits is bad, especially when power up. Although most circuit boards are cleaned with water during manufacture, so the actual circuit can handle the water. But, not for long times due to corrosion issues and not while powered up because water will conduct and grow conductive dendrites.

I guess I should have mensioned that the laptop should be in a sealed freezer zip-lock. No condensation will occur if there is no moisture. Also, I think the laptop should be in the sealed container even if not chilled first. Coming from an air conditioned room to over 110 might have a slight chance of moisture issues too.

I was thinking the top box would easily hit temperatures of over 120F due to solar heating. Maybe that won't realy happen as long as the bike is moving (air cooling). Donno . . . Sitting still in the sun, definately.

Wrapping with insulation (cloths/towels) will only keep the laptop cool for maybe two hours. Keep in mind, the bigger and cooler the thermal mass is and the more insulation the longer it will stay cool.

Archived