IGNORED

Baker Air Wings for R1100RT

woodscrew

Anybody have experience with Baker wings in general? On an R1100RT in particular? I see that Baker no longer makes them for the R1100RT, if they ever did. I wonder if some model is readily adaptable? And yes I know it will ugly up my black beauty, but the older I get (and uglier) the less I care about looks and more I care about comfort. I'm sick of sweltering behind my fairing. I have mesh gear and a cut down windshield, but not enough cash to have a naked bike for summer use. Besides, I love my RT in all ways but this.

Woodscrew

I had baker air wings on my Valkyrie and they were an absolute must because of the air flow under the windshield that shook your head and made riding miserable. They were a miracle cure. Keep the top wings closed and that stopped the buffeting and open the lower wings directed cooler air to your body. Open both when it gets cooler to direct the heat off the engine. I wouldn't mount them on the 1100 or the 1150 unless they have a mirror mount. Horrible to drill into the fairing ! You need to ride faster !

Woodscrew, I played at making my own "wings" for my 1150RT as windshield mounted units - for extra upper body cooling. A few summers ago, I used "clamp style" mounts that squeeze/pinch the oem windshield ( I got the idea off the design of the stereo cabinet glass doors in my living room!) no drilling !! I used a pair of hinges for mounting a 1 1/2" wide by about 8" long plexiglas peices, all bought from the local hardware store... They clamp onto the windshield edges and shuffled the slipstream back at my torso and arms. I did not use any at the top of my shield, just the edges. They didn't quite look "factory" but they did the trick ! My legs, well, they continued to fry... Baker models may fit alternate models, maybe call them ? - if you're not gonna try something yourself...Stay Cool !

Archived