IGNORED

Problems with ZUMO 450

roadshadowww

roadshadowww

Recently my 450 has been giving me problems coming on.

I have a new battery, fuse is good and I've checked the power lead for shorts.

It came on for a few minutes the other day and is now dead.

It's only about 4 months old and guess I need to return it to Garmin???

Anybody else having problems?

markgoodrich

Bob, call Garmin, it may be as simple as a reset, which will be an arcane sequence of things to do. If not, you still need to talk to them to get an RMA. They have a quick turnaround on repairs...you actually get a new or refurb unit.

I had the same issue. The unit would not turn on even if powered from the bike. You can reset the unit by pulling the battery for 30 seconds. That seemed to solve the problem for me until it developed a new issue a few months later...

Ultimately, I had to replace the battery as it would only work for about 5 seconds and then shut off (if not on bike power). It is currently working fine now. ($38 for a battery)

I love/hate this thing!

RichEdwards

If you have to send it back, INSIST on having Garmin send you (by e-mail) a pre-paid mailing label. At first they said that they did not pay for shipping units less than a year old (my first Zumo 660) back to the factory for replacement. When I insisted, they relented.

Recently my 450 has been giving me problems coming on.

I have a new battery, fuse is good and I've checked the power lead for shorts.

It came on for a few minutes the other day and is now dead.

It's only about 4 months old and guess I need to return it to Garmin???

Anybody else having problems?

roadshadowww, seeing as you replaced the battery & it didn’t get any better that probably means a simple battery removal & reinstall won’t help you..

Have you tried turning it on both while in the motorcycle cradle & turning it on with it out & as a stand alone? Does it work better either way?

You might have a bad or improperly loaded SD card so try removing your SD card (if you have one in your unit).. If that helps then clear the card & try it again..

As Mark mentioned call Garmin & have their reps talk you through a trouble shooting procedure.. If you call Garmin help line be sure to call as early as you can (about 30 seconds before they open for business).. The longer you wait the longer it will take to get through (sometimes hours)..

Twisty

I had a very similar issue with my 450.Garmin advised me to do a reset by removing and reinstalling the battery,then charge it via the USB port for at least 12 hrs,before trying ro use it.Worked fine after the recharge.

Your new battery may not have a full charge on it.

Lets_Play_Two

Be sure to call Garmin for the record. I had a 550 do the same thing and the reset worked (for a while). It happened again after the warranty had expired but they replaced it since it was a continuing problem.

Was having problems with my 550 not turning on, and spoke with GARMIN tech who explained to me the "hard" purge.

Select power button and "+" (zoom out) buttons simultaneously, and the unit powered up right away. Have had NO issuses since!!

Good luck.

roadshadowww

Man I hate waiting on those Tech lines.

I tried the power and zoom buttons together and no result.

I pulled the battery for 15 seconds and nothing while free-standing and then I installed it in the cradle and it came on.

When I pulled it off the cradle, it shut right off.

Must be the battery, my 450 did not come with a charger.

roadshadowww

I left it on the cradle for a couple of hours.

It will now come on and shows 3/4 charge, go figure?

Is a cell phone charger for car or home the same on the Zumo???

Nice n Easy Rider

The Zumo 550 charger is 5V DC, 1 Amp. If the 450 is the same as the 550 I would expect a cell phone charger with similar output would work.

Lets_Play_Two

They are meant to charge in the cradle.

clip~

Stupid question but, Does it have to be on, to charge???

Yes, in motorcycle cradle no in car cradle (your 450 didn't come with a car cradle unless bought separately).. At least this is true on the 550 & no reason to believe the 450 would be different..

I think the Zumo doesn’t charge in the motorcycle cradle when off as some motorcycles use very small batteries so the GPS charging could deplete the battery.. On a car the battery is large & can handle the patristic drain of a the Zumo..

Twisty

Must be the battery, my 450 did not come with a charger.

None of the Zumo 450 or 550 units did (not sure about the latest version of the Zumo). If after some riding, the unit still does not work out of the cradle, you'll need a new battery (that one isn't taking a charge).

Wayne

Lets_Play_Two
clip~

Stupid question but, Does it have to be on, to charge???

Yes, in motorcycle cradle no in car cradle (your 450 didn't come with a car cradle unless bought separately).. At least this is true on the 550 & no reason to believe the 450 would be different..

I think the Zumo doesn’t charge in the motorcycle cradle when off as some motorcycles use very small batteries so the GPS charging could deplete the battery.. On a car the battery is large & can handle the patristic drain of a the Zumo..

Twisty

I was assuming he was asking about the Zumo itself being on. :( My 550 came with a charger...the 450 does not.

If you boot the Zumo , then get through the warning/agree screen that will put you on the main menu (“where to” View Map”).. If you place your fingernail right between the clock & battery indicator in the upper right hand corner & hold it there for 15-20 seconds it will boot into a test screen.. On that test screen is a bunch of internal displays.. One will be Vexternal,, that will give you the voltage your unit is receiving form the vehicle battery through the cradle.. Another will be Vbattery,, that will be the internal battery voltage (should be slightly over 4 volts)..

Just hit EXIT to get out of that screen or next/back to view other internal info..

Twisty

The easiest way to charge the Zumo if you don't have the wall charger is:

1. Leave it in the bike cradle, but the zumo must be on to charge and there must be power to the mount.

2. Plug it into your computer with the USB cord and it will charge from the computer.

Andy.

Nice n Easy Rider
The easiest way to charge the Zumo if you don't have the wall charger is:

1. Leave it in the bike cradle, but the zumo must be on to charge and there must be power to the mount.

2. Plug it into your computer with the USB cord and it will charge from the computer.

Andy.

And if you want a wall charger, EBay has new ones listed at < $7.

Hmmm.... Makes me wonder if those generic iPod rechargers (the ones that have a USB port on them, will work? Basically you plug one end into a wall and then plug a USB cable into it, and the other end into your iPod. However, if you use the cable for the Garmin, I wonder if it will charge the unit. I suspect it should, but I don't know for sure.

Wayne

Clip~

Andy.

Andy, I’m not sure how much charge you get from some USB systems.. The Zumo stays turned on when hooked to the computer USB so uses a good portion of the USB power supplied (probably depends somewhat on Zumo screen brightness)..

On my Zumo 550 the static internal voltage when first turned on is about 4.08 to 4.14 volts,, hooked to my computer USB is around 4.17 volts (not much charging going on there) when hooked to the Zumo charger that came with my unit it runs about 5 volts..

Not sure if this is across all computers as I run a lot of USB peripherals but in my case I can leave my Zumo hooked to my USB all day & if the battery meter bar is down 2 bars it will still be 2 bars down after being on the USB port for hours..

I guess what I am saying is it might not re-charge on the USB in all cases..

Twisty

Archived