IGNORED

Bent front wheel

rsqrob

Went and got new tires put on yesterday and found that my front wheel is bent. It looks like it may have happened awhile ago and I just didn't notice. I do remember hitting a hard edge last fall but didn't see any damage at that time. No handling change and the old tire kept it's presssure. The bend is not to big and it didn't affect the seating of the new tire. I would like to replace it though so I am looking for a replacement front wheel for my 07 RT. If anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks, Rob

You can have it straightened or do it yourself. Unless the metal is cracked, replacement of the wheel is not necessary. Good luck though.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the wheel might be fixable. I will give this business a call as new wheels are spendy!!!!

If it is just a ding in the edge of the rim many folks here have had great luck with various methods of persuading the ding back to its original position.

In my case I tried it after reading about others on the board who had success with the DIY approach.

My method was to put a layer of duct tape across the bent area and support the rim on a couple of 2X4's and then whack the begeebers out of the ding with a 2 lb dead blow hammer. I started out a little tentatively with the force of the blows but soon discovered I had to take a pretty good wind up on the swing to get any material to move.

The duct tape was to protect the paint from impact damage from the dead blow hammer. In hind sight, I probably should have taped the areas resting on the 2X4's too :-) I got a little minor cosmetic scuffing there that will probably buff out if I ever get my wheels clean enough that the appearance of the scuff bothers me.

I had a shallow bend on my front rim and fixed it on the bike by using a rubber mallet and hitting it a couple of times. Didn't scratch the paint and the dent is gone.

Archived