IGNORED

Making the Wrench for the ABS Bleed on my First Gen GT

Aluminum_Butt

Aluminum_Butt

I need to make one of these wrenches to do the brakes on my GT.

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01747.jpg

(Note: these pics are referenced in this excellent article on bleeding RS/GT brakes)

The tool starts as a 7mm 12pt box end wrench.

I don't have much in the way of metal working skills, and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve that 90 degree bend. It has to fit in a pretty tight space, so the bend has to be neat. Heat it and hammer it in a vise? Is MAPP sufficient to do that?

I figure I can use JB Weld to attach a driver to the other end.

This only has to be used to open a bleed valve, so high strength is not a requirement.

Advice on how to get a nice bend?

I was able to bend a wrench using only a propane torch - MAPP should be easy. Just put the wrench in a vise and heat the area where you want it to bend to cherry red then bend it with a pliers.

I didn't bother with the drive end modification. I just put a small adjustable wrench on the open end of the 7mm combination wrench to turn it,and that is only for the initial opening and final tightening. I use just hand pressure to open and close the bleeder screws during the bleeding process.

Good luck - it's really pretty easy.

Mark

I need to make one of these wrenches to do the brakes on my GT.

Heat it and hammer it in a vise? Is MAPP sufficient to do that?

I used an oxy/acte rig when I made mine but you might be able to make MAPP work.

You may end up distorting the 12 point but perhaps you could start out with the head of a bolt cut off & ground down so you could place it in the 12 point to start off.

With enough heat & a big enough hammer, you should be able to pull any thing off :grin:

I figure I can use JB Weld to attach a driver to the other end.

I used silver solder/paste & would advise you to do the same or attach with brazing rod/flux

By cheep wrench(s) socket(s) so if you fail a time or two, no big deal.

Archived