IGNORED

Strategies for quelling mic activation (Autocom)

Firefight911

Firefight911

I just finished installing a friend's Autocom system to his bike and he is having a minor issue I wanted to get some collective input for.

He has the Active-Plus system and is using an Arai Corsair RX-7 full face helmet. His ride is a 2009 K1300GT with teh largest VStream windshield. He is a large guy (6'5" or so) and his issue is that his mic keeps opening when he is riding with the visor cracked open.

He has adjusted the vox control up and it has improved the issue some but it is still occurring. Raising the windshield all the way up helps immensely as does closing his visor.

What other strategies are out there to help cut down on the wind noise/buffeting from opening the mic. I thought that I had heard of a band aid wrapped around the microphone, etc. helping but wanted to get the input of the collective before I go reinventing the wheel.

My system on my bike (exact same bike with smaller Vstream windscreen and I am only 6'1") does not do this to the level my friend's is. It does do it a fair amount with the windscreen down and the visor open but I never ride like that so it is of no concern to me.

Thanks in advance for helping here.

CruisinCruzan

I don't have that problem, but he could try putting on the foam wind blocker that is used with open face helmets.

Phil, is he using a "wind sock" on this mic? Sometimes these are required if you ride with your shield opened. I use one and they work quite well. It does mean that you have to speak loud enough or are close enough (touching) to activat the vox.

Phil, is he using a "wind sock" on this mic? Sometimes these are required if you ride with your shield opened. I use one and they work quite well. It does mean that you have to speak loud enough or are close enough (touching) to activat the vox.

An addendum to the windsock comment- be sure you have the windsock mounted correctly...that is, the foam on the BACK of the mic with the mic element exposed....That way the mic can be correctly positioned next to the lips to take the most advantage of the directional feature of the mic.

Good luck

I pretty much have the same problem. The turbulence off my windscreen is enough to make me want to sell the bike... Things I've had success with are: place a piece of tape over the back side of the microphone (the side away from your mouth). I used a cut up piece of 1" band-aid because it happened to be available. But at the same time, I can't think of a type of tape that would have been better. Duct, or athletic tape, perhaps. Anyway, with tape in place, bend the mic boom out so that you're continuously kissing the mic. This basically muffles the ambient noise on both sides of the mic. It took me a couple days to get it to work like I thought it ought to.

You may also be successful with slipping a "cozy" over the mic. Maybe some neoprene, fleece, denim, etc. It's small and easy enough to make. And easy to throw away if it doesn't work....

And no offense, but - You might also double check the sensitivity setting. I get confused easily as to which way is "up" and which is "down".

Good luck!

I had a similar problem with my Starcom. Went to Radio Shack and picked up a wind sock for a large mic. I cut the foam and wrapped it around my mic, securing it with a small zip tie. The mic on Meg's helmet doesn't have this problem, or I should say her helmet doesn't create the problem for the mic. I originally tried swapping the units and the problem stayed with the helmet.

Archived