IGNORED

Rack for top case ?

DonSydney

Hi folks,

Has anyone fitted a lightweight rack to the top case lid ? I'm looking for something that I can strap my tent (4kg) to the top of the topcase lid on my 1100RT. I've been looking at a couple of other bike racks to adapt, but thought someone might have already 'invented the wheel'.

Cheers

dc

Hi Don,

I don't have an 1100 (I have a 1200RT with the BMW 49L top case), but since you don't have any replies yet I thought I'd pass along my solution for the same problem. I too wanted a rack but since BMW doesn't offer any I needed aftermarket. Sorry I don't have a picture but the Givi rack in the link worked very nicely. I had to add several small plastic bushings as spacers but they were around 50 cents in a local hardware store.

Anyway you may find somthing from Givi that will work for you too. Oddly, the Givi USA site has no mention of the rack shown here, but this is where I bought it.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/GIVI_E81_Top_Case_Rack_For_E460_Topcase_p/givi-e81.htm

Take a look at the BMR setup.

Pat

+1 on the BMR topcase rack. It is a little heavy but very durable and easy to strap things onto. I have the BMR shelf as well.

Jerry Johnston

Why do you need a rack to put something on the top of your trunk? I put 4 bungy hooks on my rack and use a spider net to hold things on the lid. I did put a piece of rubber down 1st to prevent scratching. It has sure worked well for me. Some have put a K bike rack on the lid and it looks great. A few years back I though about putting a rack on mine but got a lot of kidding when asking for advice as to the looks.

Look at Kbike.com. A fellow put the large HD rack on his 49l top box. Looks very good, will add rack next year. Did the brake light this year.

Thanks guys. The BMR rack isnt really the look I'm after. I've seen photos of a K rack o the 49L topcase, and it looks ok. I reallylike the look of the rack from the Harley Ultra Classic, I reckon thats what I'll finish up doing. Just gotta find one now !

Cheers

Don

Archived