IGNORED

Fix or Replace GPS?

2wheeler

My 2730 is freaking out - map pops to overhead view from 3D on its own, then goes to a blue calibration screen. XM still works. Garmin wants $180 to fix it or send me a 'new' one. Should I do it or apply the cost to a new unit? If so, which is best, the Zumo 550?

2wheeler, only YOU can answer that question..

Do you like your present 2730? Does it do everything you expect of a GPS? Does it work well for your trips & routing applications? ---If yes then keep it..

Do you want to lose some functions you like? Do you want to gain some new GPS functions you will probably like? Do you want to lean to use a new GPS device? If yes then buy a Zumo 550 or 660..

You really need to compare what you have now function & form like then compare it to something new (like the 550/660) function & form like.. It’s all on line & just takes some research..

Twisty

I went through the same debate when my 276C flew the coup. That $180 Garmin price point sure works, because I went for the Zumo 550, and never looked back. I retained the 276C should I wish to have a marine unit again (it worked well for that), but I suspect it will remain in service as a BMW Service Manual paper weight.

I am in the same position right now. My GPS will not find the satellites, but XM works great. First I have been keeping an eye out for a used 2730. If I find one under 125.00 I will do that. second I am keeping an eye on the refurb units. About 4 months ago I found a refurb model for 180.00 that incuded a XM radio and sold the XM for 100.00 so the unit cost me 80.00. I am looking for that bargain again. plus it came with the 1 year warranty.

My GPS will not find the satellites,

Randy - just a thought - have you checked to see if the GPS has the correct time and time zone in it? If it doesn't know the time, it won't know what satellites to look for.

Randy - just a thought - have you checked to see if the GPS has the correct time and time zone in it? If it doesn't know the time, it won't know what satellites to look for.

Is that really true? I don't know the details of the small handheld units, but the larger high precision units all have a sky search mode that allows them to find satellites without knowing the time or location. And once they find one satellite they can download the ephemerides for all the other satellites since each satellite has ephemerides for all of them. It will take longer to lock on when it doesn't have a current time and good location. But given a while it should still find the satellites. It used to take 25 minutes to download all of the ephemerides, if the receiver was really starting with no information. With multiple channels they can download pieces of it simultaneously from different satellites in a much shorter time.

I found this out 0n my 2610 one time when I travelled to NY from CA. I couldn't get the thing to work, though everything looked right. After a day or so, I checked the time - it was still on Pacific Time. After I changed the time zone, the 2610 locked in & I was all set.

I also had a Magellan handheld unit that had it's time clock messed up - the clock would count roughly four seconds for each second in real time - it became a paper weight.

Perhaps the newer units have some way to determine time and bypass all this stuff, but it seems an easy enough thing to check if the satellites don't lock in.

2wheeler, just a thought but is this happening when the 2730 is in direct sunlight? If so, it may be the Infrared beams from the sun going into the IR remote eye and giving strange commands to the 2730. Had the same type of thing happen with my 2610.

To disable the IR remote control: From any page, press the 'Menu' key, then select 'Options'. Select the 'General' tab, then press the 'Menu' key. Select 'Disable Remote'." Or put a piece a tape over the IR eye.

Buckster

Shaman97, mine works the other way.. It doesn’t know the time until it finds the satellites.. Plus I have never actually seen my GPS turn it’s head & look in a different place for satellite acquisition..

Twisty

Twisty,

According to Wiki, the receiver gets it's time from the satellites, which brings up the question of 'Why do I need to tell it the time zone'.

I remember years ago I used to have to manually change the time on my cell phone; no more. Could be the same for GPS' now?

Shaman97, I can’t speak to all GPS’s vs telling it the time zone.. But on my Zumo it dims at night & seeing as it has no actual photo cell to tell it that it is dark outside it uses time of day & time zone.. My GPS also tells me the time of day & while it gets basic time info from the satellites I doubt the satellite also sends all the time zone off-sets so the GPS must decipher that based on position & time zone you tell it..

Twisty

Makes sense; we'll see. I'm leaving on a trip via plane to NY tomorrow, bringing my Nuvi. Obviously it's a much newer unit, and the manual says it will adjust the time for the location, so it appears they've worked that one out.

According to Wiki, the receiver gets it's time from the satellites, which brings up the question of 'Why do I need to tell it the time zone'.

I think the reason is that time zones zig-zag in some areas in the country with the result being that some communities operate on a time zone other than that dictated by their technical geographic location, due to proximity to other communities, etc. So one may not always want their displayed time zone to match their physical location. I suppose the GPS could be designed to offer automatic time zone and allow the user to disable that option if desired and it seems that some newer units have this option.

Even my old 2610 knows the time of day and the season though, and as Twisty described will go into 'night mode' automatically. But it does have a photocell to help with setting brightness as the time of day doesn't always tell you every thing you need to know about ambient lighting conditions. I think most modern Garmin units have a photocell as well? Not sure about that.

2wheeler, just a thought but is this happening when the 2730 is in direct sunlight? If so, it may be the Infrared beams from the sun going into the IR remote eye and giving strange commands to the 2730. Had the same type of thing happen with my 2610.

To disable the IR remote control: From any page, press the 'Menu' key, then select 'Options'. Select the 'General' tab, then press the 'Menu' key. Select 'Disable Remote'." Or put a piece a tape over the IR eye.

Buckster

+1. Disabling the IR remote feature cured my 2610's random screen changes. I noticed the problem occuring on roads populated with gas stations and strip malls. I assumed it was caused by automatic door sensors.

I am in the same position right now. My GPS will not find the satellites, but XM works great. First I have been keeping an eye out for a used 2730. If I find one under 125.00 I will do that. second I am keeping an eye on the refurb units. About 4 months ago I found a refurb model for 180.00 that incuded a XM radio and sold the XM for 100.00 so the unit cost me 80.00. I am looking for that bargain again. plus it came with the 1 year warranty.

Yeah Randy I am also having issues with my 2720 sometimes the touch screen does not respond. Shoot me an email if you find a deal.

Archived